Close

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    No, shorter gears (higher ratios) consume more power. The heat is real... touch the transmission after doing a few 150mph pulls. Most of the power is lost in the rear end though since the 90 degree and hypoid gear sucks power.
    hm fair enough

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The torque at the wheels, but not at the motor. The dyno will give you torque at the motor although it is calculated back from torque at the wheels. That is why gearing can consume power and skew the results.
    how does this work without inputting all the gear ratios/wheel/tyre profiles etc. etc.?

how can it possibly know how to calc it all back?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Of course I knew that. How else do you measure getting 300 pounds of coal up a mine shaft?

The real question is do you know how many watts are in 1 horse?
    indeed

1 horse contains north of 998531 watt-hours if set on fire.. if you're meaning if you superimpose an anti-horse on top of a horse? that's a bit harder..

They aren't more accurate as much as for tuning load based dynos are preferred.
    why is that exactly?

for tuning purposes, wouldn't anty old dyno be able to give you the data and consistency you need?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    indeed

1 horse contains north of 998531 watt-hours if set on fire.. if you're meaning if you superimpose an anti-horse on top of a horse? that's a bit harder..
    What about if the horse eats a lot of hay before you light it on fire? Think about that.

why is that exactly?

for tuning purposes, wouldn't anty old dyno be able to give you the data and consistency you need?
    Because on the road you will see different load than you will with an inertia based dyno. That is why you will spool faster on the street than on a dynojet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What about if the horse eats a lot of hay before you light it on fire? Think about that.

Because on the road you will see different load than you will with an inertia based dyno. That is why you will spool faster on the street than on a dynojet.
    don't make me calculate that too! negligible increase though comparatively haha

ahm, fair enough then. you still CAN tune on a DD i take it though, we only have maybe 1-2 dynojets that are nearby, where we probably have 10-20 dyno dynamics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    how does this work without inputting all the gear ratios/wheel/tyre profiles etc. etc.?

how can it possibly know how to calc it all back?
    Rpm pickup and speed sensor on the roller. Between those two it can build a ratio.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ahm, fair enough then. you still CAN tune on a DD i take it though, we only have maybe 1-2 dynojets that are nearby, where we probably have 10-20 dyno dynamics
    Sure you can tune on a dynojet. Most tuners I know though prefer load based for tuning. Dyno Dynamics seemingly being the most popular.

And if you have a more complex tune or something like an Alpha-N setup, definitely probably want your tuning done on something other than a dynojet.

For numbers and analyzing a curve though, I love the dynojet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    indeed

why is that exactly?

Load dynos work by imparting a load on the car and measuring the torque it takes to turn the spindle/roller. They can keep the car from accelerating when floored or allow for a very slow rise in speed. Inertia dyno works by having a fixed weight roller and calculating how long it took the car to accelerate that load up to speed. Principals are very different. Inertia dyno like dynojet is cheap. The load dynos are better, but either works for 99% of the time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rpm pickup and speed sensor on the roller. Between those two it can build a ratio.
    ahh thanks that makes sense

Sure you can tune on a dynojet. Most tuners I know though prefer load based for tuning. Dyno Dynamics seemingly being the most popular.

And if you have a more complex tune or something like an Alpha-N setup, definitely probably want your tuning done on something other than a dynojet.

For numbers and analyzing a curve though, I love the dynojet.
    mmnm fair enough

dj does do a nice ego inflation..

Load dynos work by imparting a load on the car and measuring the torque it takes to turn the spindle/roller. They can keep the car from accelerating when floored or allow for a very slow rise in speed. Inertia dyno works by having a fixed weight roller and calculating how long it took the car to accelerate that load up to speed. Principals are very different. Inertia dyno like dynojet is cheap. The load dynos are better, but either works for 99% of the time.
    yeah there's a few shops around here with $XXxxx setups, all in ground, to make sure they can handle super slammed track/drift cars lol

so they're KINDA similar in operation (they load up the wheels), but one can be varied, the other is a set weight.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone ready and willing to send me their 3.08 or 3.46 (large housing) pumpkin to drop in and settle the TQ debate let me know...I say numbers will be either the same or slightly higher with a 3.08 or 3.46 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Anyone ready and willing to send me their 3.08 or 3.46 (large housing) pumpkin to drop in and settle the TQ debate let me know...I say numbers will be either the same or slightly higher with a 3.08 or 3.46 Click here to enlarge
    You already got rid of your last LSD?
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    You already got rid of your last LSD?
    Sold it when I got this one.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ill send you mine if you send it back with an LSD in it Click here to enlarge
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have the OEM open diff final drive unit you can use, not a complete pumpkin.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    I have the OEM open diff final drive unit you can use, not a complete pumpkin.
    That'd be more involving than I'd like at this point but thanks, appreciate it. Just a quick swap and re-dyno would be best.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Inertia dyno measures power… you can plot mph only. The load “varying” type measure torque and you need an rpm pickup I believe… maybe they can do either.

To understand that gearing doesn’t matter… think of this:
    1st gear you accelerate from 10 to 20mph very quickly, but you were only doing 10mph of work to start. 4th gear you accelerate 10mph also (much slower) from 90 to 100, but you were doing 90mph of work to begin with… End result is same power (assuming same rpm range, load, and no difference drivetrain loss). You just plot by rpm for engine HP... its the same.

There’s no loss due to inertia… maybe very very negligible. Engine reving with no load is completely different. The HP effect is drivetrain loss, which would be hard to determine if it would be higher or lower with new final drive. The pinion is larger, but rotates slower… don’t know. The tranny in 3rd compared to 4th should have higher HP loss. The end result in the 2 setups is very close in my opinion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    The tranny in 3rd compared to 4th should have higher HP loss.
    This.

Its already proven that on "this" car higher gears will result in more power on a Dynojet due to the way the car loads up. Higher gears, on a Dynojet, will result in more power. This is why some of the guys have started to dyno their cars in 5th gear. I simply can't even do 4th as its way too dangerous given where it'll end up speed wise past 6500rpm so I'm stuck with 3rd which will incur a bit of loss. This is another reason I'd love to get a 3.08 in the car to have an even more direct comparison and do a dyno in 4th gear again instead of 3rd which I have to do now.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    go do a 60-130, thanks

lol... when are you planning to do some testing?
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    go do a 60-130, thanks

lol... when are you planning to do some testing?
    As soon as tuning is 100%
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Late to the party due to life events getting in the way, but congratulations on the sick numbers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well done Dzenno!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Do a barrel roll!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks guys.

And this is what happens when you launch this 335 with all possible rear suspension mods to keep the thing from wheel hopping and just have it go:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

This torque needs to be RESPECTED Click here to enlarge LOL Laser cutting the driveshaft right there.

I sourced another 3.08 diff as well, although just OEM at the moment. 2.56 will take a back seat for the moment until I find a replacement pinion. DSS axles though stayed put.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dammit I can't see the pictures on my stupid work computer!!!!!! Click here to enlarge

I take it something bad happened?
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast