Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meth in Airbox

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Had a few minutes today so I rigged up a setup. Took our dual cones and drilled a hole through the middle, and shoved an M3 nozzle down each. Then ran those to a solenoid that is run off the G5 nitrous trigger. Only, instead of triggering nitrous it will trigger the second solenoid at the entered criteria. Selected 4000rpm and 14psi to start. We'll see how it does. Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Had a few minutes today so I rigged up a setup. Took our dual cones and drilled a hole through the middle, and shoved an M3 nozzle down each. Then ran those to a solenoid that is run off the G5 nitrous trigger. Only, instead of triggering nitrous it will trigger the second solenoid at the entered criteria. Selected 4000rpm and 14psi to start. We'll see how it does. Click here to enlarge
    Terry,

Do you think two CM5s would be overkill with nothing in the intake manifold? I was also going to ask... do you think I should run 2 solenoids to prevent dripping onto the compressor wheel or is that over the top?

Clutch is coming soon, then this. I will use E85 mix for main fuel/octane and meth to (hopefully) lower PWM and fill in the rest of the fuel I am missing.

Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We'll see how dual CM3s go. One solenoid should be fine.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We'll see how dual CM3s go. One solenoid should be fine.
    Any chance you could also take some data with no meth turned on in the intake? I feel that placing the cooling post turbo drives the turbo harder since the JB4 is targeting the same boost but the air is more dense at that point. While it is true pre and post turbo probably makes the most power, I suspect preturbo only makes the most power for a given amount of PWM, which is really what I care about when it comes to my already whining turbos.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Should reduce PWM a bit. We'll see if this lets us push a little more top end boost out of them all else being equal. But it literally took 15 min to install this setup. Throw it on and see how it does! Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Should reduce PWM a bit. We'll see if this lets us push a little more top end boost out of them all else being equal. But it literally took 15 min to install this setup. Throw it on and see how it does! Click here to enlarge
    I have to buy the kit first! Before I do that I need a new clutch. The temps going down has driven my torque up just a hair. I am somewhere around 500 crank torque and the stock clutch will slip in 4-6 around 3000. The weird thing for me is that the clutch has plenty of life left in it, I am literally just over the torque capacity. Until then no more power mods. G5, E85, FMIC, and DCI is enough to get you close to 500hp and 500tq at the crank apparently (@17.5 psi) which is also enough to make this stock clutch useless. I guess these are the good kind of problems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Pre turbo Spray

If your going to keep the airbox and are concerned with liquid carryover into the turbos then I would suggest mounting the spray nozzle pointing into the incomming air stream pre-filter. That way any excess liquid only wets the airfilter element and forms a very effective "swamp cooler". I would post pictures of my install..... but not being a regular on this site.... has some limitations. You only want to spray 100% meth as meth vapor is about 110% dense as air..... while water vapor is only 60% the density of air.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by az335iat Click here to enlarge
    If your going to keep the airbox and are concerned with liquid carryover into the turbos then I would suggest mounting the spray nozzle pointing into the incomming air stream pre-filter. That way any excess liquid only wets the airfilter element and forms a very effective "swamp cooler". I would post pictures of my install..... but not being a regular on this site.... has some limitations. You only want to spray 100% meth as meth vapor is about 110% dense as air..... while water vapor is only 60% the density of air.
    I think I know what you are getting at, but I don't understand the math/units. Are you saying that meth is heavier for he same volume or are you saying that the mist atomizes easier or are you speaking to latent heat of evaporation or specific heat?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My only concern would b that It would trap and hold dirt and dust better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Cool

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TLO03 Click here to enlarge
    My only concern would b that It would trap and hold dirt and dust better.
    The stock paper element is not treated in any way (oiled) and is very good at traping dirt. Any liquid meth ending up on the element will evaporate very quickly as soon as the meth pump shuts off.

I have run this setup at a 1/4 mile track and found that after the run, I opened the hood to let the engine cool off. The coolest item in the engine compartment was the top of the airbox.... quite a bit cooler than ambient air..... let alone engine compartment air temperature.

My earlier comment on methanol density has to do with methanol vapor density compared to air. With turbo's running very high on their loading curves.... increasing the density of the pumped medum will increase their efficiency.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by az335iat Click here to enlarge
    The stock paper element is not treated in any way (oiled) and is very good at traping dirt. Any liquid meth ending up on the element will evaporate very quickly as soon as the meth pump shuts off.

I have run this setup at a 1/4 mile track and found that after the run, I opened the hood to let the engine cool off. The coolest item in the engine compartment was the top of the airbox.... quite a bit cooler than ambient air..... let alone engine compartment air temperature.

My earlier comment on methanol density has to do with methanol vapor density compared to air. With turbo's running very high on their loading curves.... increasing the density of the pumped medum will increase their efficiency.
    Got it. Yeah, I was going to start with 50-50 and then see if I feel comfortable going up to 75 or 100%.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12