Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just ordered the first one. I will make a review on it when it arrives. Unfortunately I am only 430whp, fortunately I am going to add meth and see what I can do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I just ordered the first one. I will make a review on it when it arrives. Unfortunately I am only 430whp, fortunately I am going to add meth and see what I can do.
    Great. Looking forward to your review.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    FWIW we've started to carry SPEC clutches and flywheels. I've added only 2+ and 3+ to our offerings for the N54 as they seem to be the ones from SPEC to carry and recommend as a true upgrade. In terms of the steel flywheel I'm waiting on final specs from them and we'll add that to the mix. If anyone is interested in anything SPEC related let me know and I'll try to help. Their customer service as far as forums go seems not to have been as stellar in the past but the product definitely works as evidenced by many local cars to me and others putting down great numbers and, even more importantly to me personally, hitting the drag strip many a time without any issues.
    If my HPF St2 welds itself I'm probably going for a Spec 3+. Would that be your next choice if you have issues with the HPF (fingers crossed we both don't)?
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    If my HPF St2 welds itself I'm probably going for a Spec 3+. Would that be your next choice if you have issues with the HPF (fingers crossed we both don't)?
    Either 2+ or 3+, yes. Hopefully it won't come to that but we'll see after the first day at the strip.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I usually do my own work, but I don't want to do this clutch. About how much should the install cost?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Local guy in Toronto charges 400 labor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It depends on the shop really. I say if they quote more than 400 leave. 350 would be nice.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks guys. Now this thread is going to be huge. OMG I NEED STEEL FLYWHEEL TO STOP MISFIRES. Now turbo kit is $12k instead of 10k...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rudy, upgraded clutch/flywheel are necessary even for a 335 with stock turbos. Your comments are seriously ridiculous
    BSM 340xi M-Sport
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    Rudy, upgraded clutch/flywheel are necessary even for a 335 with stock turbos. Your comments are seriously ridiculous
    Omg, no way. Guess what, I have stock turbos and I am getting the first one of these flywheels. You're ridiculous.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Omg, no way. Guess what, I have stock turbos and I am getting the first one of these flywheels. You're ridiculous.
    Way.
    BSM 340xi M-Sport

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Way.
    Yea, read the thread next time. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Read it for what reason? I was referring to your "omg 12k vs 10k" comment. Anyways, hope you enjoy the steel flywheel - curious to see how much less noisy it is.
    Last edited by jpsimon; 12-12-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    BSM 340xi M-Sport

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Read it for what reason? I was referring to your "omg 12k vs 10k" comment. Anyways, hope you enjoy the steel flywheel - curious to see how much less noisy it is.
    Its because I was referencing the other thread in this forum. Sorry if I wasnt clear. Yeah, I hope for the best. They have been a pleasure to deal with thus far and I like the specs (22lbs with low moi).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys are cute.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    FWIW we've started to carry SPEC clutches and flywheels. I've added only 2+ and 3+ to our offerings for the N54 as they seem to be the ones from SPEC to carry and recommend as a true upgrade. In terms of the steel flywheel I'm waiting on final specs from them and we'll add that to the mix. If anyone is interested in anything SPEC related let me know and I'll try to help. Their customer service as far as forums go seems not to have been as stellar in the past but the product definitely works as evidenced by many local cars to me and others putting down great numbers and, even more importantly to me personally, hitting the drag strip many a time without any issues.
    What are the advantages/disadvantages between Aluminum and Steel?
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think the major difference which comes along with the added weight is less noise. 14lbs vs 22lbs (correct me if I'm wrong)
    BSM 340xi M-Sport

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For you guys re-using the DMFW, be sure to get it machined correctly. The local shop I used didn't machine the step face and I get some clutch slip from my ACT after an autox event. I have a picture but I can't post it yet.

I'm interested in the spec stg 2 and that steel flywheel now since I was planning on getting a new DMFW anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i have driven both stage 2+ and stage 3+(own car) and i would recommend the stage 2+ to most people. much easier stock like feel then the stage 3+ and it has been proven on shivs car. i also have the LWFW and wouldnt recommend that to anyone that isnt going serious into this car. everyone hates the noise of the LWFW and when you show your car off to people they will ask you about that noise. shiv has released a statement saying that people that have done his single turbo upgrade experience misfire issue cause by the stock flywheel not being able to handle the additional power.

also i dont think ive heard anyone breaking an axle with a stage 2 and i have with the stage 3 already so keep that in mind

make sure the shop doing the install has a good mechanic and has the right tools to do the job because i had a shop do my install and they ended up buying me a new transmission
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey guys,

However I can personally attest to the fact that even a 22 lb flywheel will induce audible driveline chatter and gear rattle at idle, in particular when the air conditioning is cranked.

Swapping out your factory fill transmission fluid for Motul Gear 300 (75W90) does help the cause quite a bit, but when the AC is running at idle and the clutch is not depressed, it will still sound like you have a bucket of bolts rattling around in your expensive ZF gearbox, lol.

Cheers,

Justin.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Justin@Advan performance Click here to enlarge
    Hey guys,

However I can personally attest to the fact that even a 22 lb flywheel will induce audible driveline chatter and gear rattle at idle, in particular when the air conditioning is cranked.

Swapping out your factory fill transmission fluid for Motul Gear 300 (75W90) does help the cause quite a bit, but when the AC is running at idle and the clutch is not depressed, it will still sound like you have a bucket of bolts rattling around in your expensive ZF gearbox, lol.

Cheers,

Justin.
    Justin, how much does Advans offering cost? Spec's flywheel is available now for sub $600. They assured me it is quiet, but we will see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    i have driven both stage 2+ and stage 3+(own car) and i would recommend the stage 2+ to most people. much easier stock like feel then the stage 3+ and it has been proven on shivs car. i also have the LWFW and wouldnt recommend that to anyone that isnt going serious into this car. everyone hates the noise of the LWFW and when you show your car off to people they will ask you about that noise. shiv has released a statement saying that people that have done his single turbo upgrade experience misfire issue cause by the stock flywheel not being able to handle the additional power.

also i dont think ive heard anyone breaking an axle with a stage 2 and i have with the stage 3 already so keep that in mind

make sure the shop doing the install has a good mechanic and has the right tools to do the job because i had a shop do my install and they ended up buying me a new transmission
    Well the fact that stage 2+ hasn't broken an axle is telling in that they haven't been run as hard. Additionally Shiv's kit is a relatively poor benchmark since its torque that busts clutches, not hp. His kit makes low torque. Look to Dzennos car and what works there for the answers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge

Do you think the noise is more from having a puck clutch or the flywheel? I had 6 puck on my Integra with an H22a motor years ago and it was noisy until it broke in. Then it ended up destroying my oil pump, the bolts backed out even though I torqued and Loc-tited. Caused and imbalance in the motor and man what a surprise when that happens.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looking forward to this review. I've got the spec stage 2+ sitting next to me but contemplating either resurfacing the stock FW or go with the steel one. Decisions decisions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes, the SPEC steel and aluminum flywheels are available for order now and are on sale for 521 (14lb aluminum) and 539 (22lb steel). Let me know if you guys are interested.

http://www.protuningfreaks.com/drive...hes-flywheels/
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast