Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Yes, the SPEC steel and aluminum flywheels are available for order now and are on sale for 521 (14lb aluminum) and 539 (22lb steel). Let me know if you guys are interested.

http://www.protuningfreaks.com/drive...hes-flywheels/

Nice! I'll have to hold off till beginning of January. The holidays have burnt a hole in my pocket lol.

PS. Do I get a discount? After all, it was your tune that rendered my stock clutch obsolete haha. JK.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vladi627 Click here to enlarge
    Nice! I'll have to hold off till beginning of January. The holidays have burnt a hole in my pocket lol.

PS. Do I get a discount? After all, it was your tune that rendered my stock clutch obsolete haha. JK.
    Heh Click here to enlarge pm-ed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Justin@Advan performance Click here to enlarge
    Hey guys,

However I can personally attest to the fact that even a 22 lb flywheel will induce audible driveline chatter and gear rattle at idle, in particular when the air conditioning is cranked.

Swapping out your factory fill transmission fluid for Motul Gear 300 (75W90) does help the cause quite a bit, but when the AC is running at idle and the clutch is not depressed, it will still sound like you have a bucket of bolts rattling around in your expensive ZF gearbox, lol.

Cheers,

Justin.
    Edited, guest vendors aren't allowed to advertise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Looking forward to this review. I've got the spec stage 2+ sitting next to me but contemplating either resurfacing the stock FW or go with the steel one. Decisions decisions.
    Just known that you need a different spec 2+ depending on whether or not you are using the stock flywheel or an aftermarket one, something to keep in mind.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Just known that you need a different spec 2+ depending on whether or not you are using the stock flywheel or an aftermarket one, something to keep in mind.
    Thanks for the info. Guess I'm staying with stock FW Click here to enlarge. All good though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Well the fact that stage 2+ hasn't broken an axle is telling in that they haven't been run as hard. Additionally Shiv's kit is a relatively poor benchmark since its torque that busts clutches, not hp. His kit makes low torque. Look to Dzennos car and what works there for the answers.
    i have the stage 3 with LWFW and love it , but my experience has been that the stage 3 is overkill for most people. my buddy's stage 2 without a flywheel has been pushed harder then mine without any problems and for that reason i believe the stage 2 is more than capable of handing what most ppl can dishout. its also sounds like stock since he has the stock flywheel and the clutch feels and drives moreless like stock, which is what most ppl want.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NJrep335i Click here to enlarge
    Do you think the noise is more from having a puck clutch or the flywheel? I had 6 puck on my Integra with an H22a motor years ago and it was noisy until it broke in. Then it ended up destroying my oil pump, the bolts backed out even though I torqued and Loc-tited. Caused and imbalance in the motor and man what a surprise when that happens.
    our cars its the flywheel that makes the noise. if you turn the a/c off or hold the clutch you dont hear the flywheel. i didn't drive it but i saw someone with a stage 3 without the LWFW and its quite.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Eh, for how much labor replacing a clutch is, I cant see a solid argument to go for the 2+ over the 3+. The cost savings is insignificant and the reports are pedal feel isn't dramatically different. If you go with the 2+ and then end up exceeding the torque rating with twins, you will be kicking yourself. With Shiv's kit it doesn't matter bc torque is low, but some high mid range boost RBs of Vargas stage 3 could cause issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thanks for the info. Guess I'm staying with stock FW Click here to enlarge. All good though.
    They have flywheels for both versions of their clutches.

Second table:
    specclutch.com/cars/BMW/335/2008/Single

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TCW Click here to enlarge
    They have flywheels for both versions of their clutches.

Second table:
    specclutch.com/cars/BMW/335/2008/Single
    Correct. There are clutch and flywheel options in both directions. If you only have a spec 2+ clutch with an oem dmfw you can get their lightweight flywheel for that clutch type. Similar to just getting a spec lwfw with the stock clutch (not that i can ever see anyone doing that).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Correct. There are clutch and flywheel options in both directions. If you only have a spec 2+ clutch with an oem dmfw you can get their lightweight flywheel for that clutch type. Similar to just getting a spec lwfw with the stock clutch (not that i can ever see anyone doing that).
    So I can still get a steel flywheel and use with the one designed for the stock flywheel? Do you know what the is difference between the two clutches?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

So I can still get a steel flywheel and use with the one designed for the stock flywheel? Do you know what the is difference between the two clutches?
    The difference is that the SPEC's clutch/flywheel that are made for mixing with OEM or OEM-like parts (e.g. SPEC clutch + OEM DMFW, or OEM clutch + SPEC flywheel) are a bit heavier. The aluminum flywheel in this case is 15lbs (vs. 14lbs) and the steel flywheel is 25lbs (vs. 22lbs).

Its basically the SAC (self adjusting clutch) mechanism that you're preserving in this case.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

FYI to those changing soon. You can find the LUK OEM DMFW for under $500 at most of your local parts stores.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

It looks like they just added these SMF SAC flywheels so you could use an SMF with you Spec 2+ that was designed for the stock FW. The holding capacity will be a little less than a non SAC setup.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123