Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spec Clutch flywheel combo

E85 has taken its toll on my stock clutch and I have been looking into my options as well as trying to future proof the clutch setup. My power goals are to replace the stock turbos with upgraded twins when the stock turbos give me fits. I dont do drag racing but like to use that low end torque and do some auto-x's. I contacted Spec about there clutches and they recommend a stage 3+ with oem flywheel for the longest lasting clutch. I was also told they are about to release a billet steel single mass flywheel that will be much quieter and closer to the weight of the dual mass, but still with nice performance and reliability gains. Does anybody have any input on a stage 3+ with oem flywheel or if a heavier single mass flywheel is worth the waiting for? What can be expected as far a noise, clutch engagement, and effort needed for DD with these options?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Chartreux3 Click here to enlarge
    E85 has taken its toll on my stock clutch and I have been looking into my options as well as trying to future proof the clutch setup. My power goals are to replace the stock turbos with upgraded twins when the stock turbos give me fits. I dont do drag racing but like to use that low end torque and do some auto-x's. I contacted Spec about there clutches and they recommend a stage 3+ with oem flywheel for the longest lasting clutch. I was also told they are about to release a billet steel single mass flywheel that will be much quieter and closer to the weight of the dual mass, but still with nice performance and reliability gains. Does anybody have any input on a stage 3+ with oem flywheel or if a heavier single mass flywheel is worth the waiting for? What can be expected as far a noise, clutch engagement, and effort needed for DD with these options?
    I have personally driven Shiv's Single Turbo car with the Spec 2+ with Spec LWFW, and it feels Great. There is some rattle with the Single mass, but it has great pedal feel and he abuses the hell out of that clutch.

personally I run the HPF Stage 1 Feramic, and I LOVE it for the pure drivability. I also run the stock DMFW. I live in San Francisco, so having a smooth engaging clutch that can hold a single turbo were my criteria. The HPF clutch cost as much as the Spec 2+ and their LWFW, but stock drivability was my need.

For a pure track car, I would do the Spec 2+ with LWFW.

I run 100% E85 with the Vishnu Flex Fuel Kit and inline pump with DCI's and DP's, which was tearing my stock clutch apart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the Spec stg2+ with LWFW combo and I really like it. Not too much chatter and it catches good! I am putting down 434hp and 470tq to the wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I have the spec stage 3 + lwfw and if I had to do it all over again I would not get the flywheel just because of the noise. I'd probably just get a new stock flywheel. aside from the noise it all feels great
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The spec stage 2+ clutch and lwfw combo is rated at 450ft/lbs crank im impressed its working so well. That may be the path I go but does anyone have any thoughts on the heavier billet steel single mass flywheel available soon with a stage 3+ combo?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The spec stage 2+ clutch and lwfw combo is rated at 450ft/lbs crank im impressed its working so well. That may be the path I go but does anyone have any thoughts on the heavier billet steel single mass flywheel available soon with a stage 3+ combo?
    Sorry torque capacity of the stage 2+ is rated at 545ft/lbs not 450 as I mentioned.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

My clutch is toast. The temps went down and my torque went up. Right around 500hp at the crank apparently is where the stock clutch eats $#@!. I want to go Spec 3+ but do not want the heavy DMF anymore. I hope they are coming out with a steel flywheel in the next week...

On a side note, when this clutch goes its really strange. All my other clutches I would have constant slipping after the first couple slips. This one keeps holding, just lets go in 4-5-6 at 3,000rpm and 18psi boost. This may literally just be the grip limit and not my clutch being worn out...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    My clutch is toast. The temps went down and my torque went up. Right around 500hp at the crank apparently is where the stock clutch eats $#@!. I want to go Spec 3+ but do not want the heavy DMF anymore. I hope they are coming out with a steel flywheel in the next week...

On a side note, when this clutch goes its really strange. All my other clutches I would have constant slipping after the first couple slips. This one keeps holding, just lets go in 4-5-6 at 3,000rpm and 18psi boost. This may literally just be the grip limit and not my clutch being worn out...

Yup, just not enough clamping force for modified cars. When FFTEC did my clutch swap for the HPF unit the stock clutch disk looked pretty good actually especially for 60k Modified miles. I am also very easy on my clutches.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

What worries me about Spec is their poor customer support if something goes wrong (ie. reading about @turkish335 's issue with his s3+ clutch and oem dmfw). They don't exactly have the best reputation on other platforms either...
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction
    [
    01/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Cobb S2+ PTF-protune | Stett CAI | ETS 5" FMIC | AR DP | AE Exhaust - Gone

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    What worries me about Spec is their poor customer support if something goes wrong (ie. reading about @turkish335 's issue with his s3+ clutch and oem dmfw). They don't exactly have the best reputation on other platforms either...
    I had come to the same conclusion and was baffled so many with the n54 have used them. After researching more into this specific platform it would appear their clutches are some of the best and only reasonable source for the 600ftlb range that does not weld or cost a fortune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Hey Guys,

From Spec:

-----

Chris,
    We have already designed the unit and it is ready to run and sell. I will
    know what day they will be available tomorrow after our production
    meeting. The unit was produced for the exact reasons you described.
    These flywheels will dampen a lot of the trans gear noise for much quieter
    operation and still offer the performance and reliability gains of a
    single mass unit.

Regards,

David
    SPECTech

------

I will be buying one to replace my stock clutch. I am going stage 3+ which is 671ftlbs of holding capability.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Let us all know when they're finished with it. When it happens, I'll grab a 3+ and a steel SMFW. My ACT Street+DMFW started slipping on my PTF boosta alpha protune...taking it to the strip with 275 Hoosier DRs seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back. I strongly dislike slippy clutches, and intend on making more TQ, so 3+/SMSFW seems to be the way to go, even though I am extremely leery of SPEC stuff for reasons described above.

Chris, my clutches seem to have gone in the same fashion as yours.
    Last edited by DefactoM6; 11-12-2012 at 11:32 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yeah, I am doing 500TQ to the crank and the clutch is still great. Just slips in 5th and 6th at peak torque likely because the temp is only 40F out now (more power). Crazy to have it slip and be just fine. I am very kind to my clutches.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, I am doing 500TQ to the crank and the clutch is still great. Just slips in 5th and 6th at peak torque likely because the temp is only 40F out now (more power). Crazy to have it slip and be just fine. I am very kind to my clutches.
    Same...but I'm now pushing ~490wtq, and 1.67-1.65 60's didn't seem to be too cool with my ACT, and it slipped in 2nd gear by my 5th run of the day...

It seemed to hold in 5th and 6th right after, but if I'm going through the gears semi-aggressively, it'll slip pretty hard. Not to mention the fact that it slipped in 3rd in a few roll-ons the other day. It's done... Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    Not the first time this has been mentioned.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

i feel like a lot of the issues you hear are more the result of install error, my setup has been flawless for 10's of thousands of miles
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    i feel like a lot of the issues you hear are more the result of install error, my setup has been flawless for 10's of thousands of miles
    I think it depends on the platform. They have bad reviews on everything but the N54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I called spec today to get more info on the billet steel flywheel and was told they are in the design process and it may be 2-6 weeks. He was adamant that getting others to send sales an email inquiring the flywheel usually tends to speed the process up. The cost should be similar to the aluminum flywheel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

damn, that sucks. I've only had my aluminum one for a month or two. it's SUPER loud. wish i had the opportunity to buy this one.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I called spec today to get more info on the billet steel flywheel and was told they are in the design process and it may be 2-6 weeks. He was adamant that getting others to send sales an email inquiring the flywheel usually tends to speed the process up. The cost should be similar to the aluminum flywheel.
    I am talking to a sales guy (he seems to be in charge) and he told me that the unit is designed (see previous post) and that material is ordered. Expect 10 days before orderable.

I am trying to give them my money now since my clutch slips at WOT below 3700 in 4-6.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Haha no I meant before I had this one installed. It's loud but not $1,000 loud. Lol
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Hey guys, I haven't forgotten about this. I am still talking to Spec but its been slow because of the holidays and an F1 race. They mentioned the steel flywheel is only a few pounds lighter than stock. Will post weight as soon as they get back to me. I really need a new clutch. Slipping in 4th sucks since I hate dropping to 3rd at highway speeds unless I really need to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Did a few clutch dumps and my slipping is subsided for now. The new flywheel is entering production tomorrow and they will be giving me one of the first few. I will be sure to review it. I plan on adding meth to my setup and will try and crack 475hp on stockers. I am shooting for 500whp, but am only 50% confident it is even possible on pump no nitrous.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

FYI: "22-23 lbs, vs the stock 28-29. It will be quiet, and its design will allow it to rev like its 17-18 lbs. David"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

FWIW we've started to carry SPEC clutches and flywheels. I've added only 2+ and 3+ to our offerings for the N54 as they seem to be the ones from SPEC to carry and recommend as a true upgrade. In terms of the steel flywheel I'm waiting on final specs from them and we'll add that to the mix. If anyone is interested in anything SPEC related let me know and I'll try to help. Their customer service as far as forums go seems not to have been as stellar in the past but the product definitely works as evidenced by many local cars to me and others putting down great numbers and, even more importantly to me personally, hitting the drag strip many a time without any issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast