Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 61 of 61
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,685
    Rep Points
    31,529.3
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    upgraded intake/turbo pipes

    upgraded twins other than RB(yes I know about Vargas but they arn't released and the more the merrier. It would be great to have 3 options)

    fancy new intake mani

    reving to 8k safely.

    Here is the problem with cams: They will cost at least $800-1200. Labor to install will be what like $600-800 depending on the shop right? So $1400-2000...might as well just buy upgraded turbos. Or you are almost 1/2 way to vargas stage 3 or the shiv's single. They would have to really help to ever make it worth while. Maybe when you are out of mods to do and reving to 8k it may make sense or racing the car where you really need to powerband shifted to the right. All of the money spent on getting aftermarket cams in the head could be put into building the engine which would be a better place to dump $ if you are going for a high hp build. I just don't see it being worth while...Course I could be wrong about all of this...
    Plus for cams you need a hell of a tuner.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cleveland TN
    Posts
    541
    Rep Points
    554.0
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Even more reason that they are not economical. Just turn up the boost instead. Much cheaper for proven gains.
    Increasing power is never economical. Plenty of cars out there that weren't economical but people still spent a butt load of money trying to make faster or more power Supra, 3000GT, 300ZX, 350Z, RX-7, WRX's and EVO's. I've seen tickets of customers that the bill was more than the car was, when it was new. Needing cams, intake manifolds on most platforms is nothing new when reaching for higher RPM's or more HP.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,450
    Rep Points
    1,750.9
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    Increasing power is never economical. Plenty of cars out there that weren't economical but people still spent a butt load of money trying to make faster or more power Supra, 3000GT, 300ZX, 350Z, RX-7, WRX's and EVO's. I've seen tickets of customers that the bill was more than the car was, when it was new. Needing cams, intake manifolds on most platforms is nothing new when reaching for higher RPM's or more HP.
    Correct, but when cams + install cost gets close to a stage 3 kit from vargas or the single turbo it doesn't make sense to use them imo. Obviously if you are going all out you would need custom ground cams and manifolds(both intake and exhaust)

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,268
    Rep Points
    1,418.2
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Whatever people think is whatever people think.

    Back in the day, whatever you want to take from this, I was exploring all NA options for the S65. The tuner I was talking with said there was only one company who could properly do S65 cams. That company was Schrick. I think there is a reason Schrick is pretty much the only option for aftermarket BMW cams for basically every BMW motor. If it's easy, if it's like every other motor, why is Schrick the only option? Why does it take a huge company like Schrick with essentially infinite money to do it?

    Why isn't it like LS motors and tons of companies doing it? I mean grinding a cam isn't rocket science right?

    Well, I think it isn't quite so simple. And secondly, everyone who does aftermarket cams successfully with BMW motors uses Schrick. And when Schrick releases cams, everyone pays attention. There's something to it.

    You don't just go get 9000 rpm N54 cams because you say so. If it worked as easy as that then why hasn't someone done it?
    I believe you that schrick is basically the only company that does it, and more than likely even WILL.. i'm just confused as to WHY. i'd like to learn what about BMW cams makes them more complex to make, or whether it's just a low-profit area, so no one bothers?

    Surely a cams producing company like crower could get into it if they really wanted to crack the BMW market?

    I'm guessing a big reason why most people haven't done MOST of the things mentioned in this thread...
    well two reasons

    1- warranties are only JUST starting to finish en masse
    2- price. it's HIGH.. it's not just the parts (cams).. it's the tuning, and supporting mods (big turbos before cams can even breathe). i don't believe anything off the shelf right now could easily deal with it no? even raising the rev limiter isn't a simple task?.. plus the head/valve upgrades needed to run the bigger cams.
    ok 3 reasons..
    3- price:performance is so much lower than other options (just about ANY other mod lol)

    another reason most companies would make cams for other engines.. profits. they can make a bundle selling LS cams that barely need RnD, and every LS owner and his dog can (and potentially will), buy and install no worries

    i'd fully expect that while the cams themselves .. well they won't cost the world, but the thousands/tens in other modifications that should/need to come before them...

    literally almost every single other mod should/has to be done before cams/raising the redline becomes the smartest thing to do lol
    i personally give it 12-24months before someone gets up to it (considering a big single or vargas 2/3's really are/will be the smarter/more cost effective option.. and stuff like PROefi's work will give the tuning-ability it needs.)

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,685
    Rep Points
    31,529.3
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    I believe you that schrick is basically the only company that does it.. i'm just confused as to WHY. i'd like to learn what about BMW cams makes them more complex to make, or whether it's just a low-profit area, so no one bothers?
    It has something to do with tuning and the facilities / engineering to produce proper BMW OEM level cams.

    There has to be a reason why it's just Schrick.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cleveland TN
    Posts
    541
    Rep Points
    554.0
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Correct, but when cams + install cost gets close to a stage 3 kit from vargas or the single turbo it doesn't make sense to use them imo. Obviously if you are going all out you would need custom ground cams and manifolds(both intake and exhaust)
    It's not a one or the other kind of option it's one and then the other after you get used to the power and want some more. Or again if your the kind of guy that wants more RPM's.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cleveland TN
    Posts
    541
    Rep Points
    554.0
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It has something to do with tuning and the facilities / engineering to produce proper BMW OEM level cams.

    There has to be a reason why it's just Schrick.
    I would have to assume its the lack of market as most of these top cam manufacturers have all the computer programs that with just a little head/valve/intake and exhaust flow specs have simulate just about anything.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,685
    Rep Points
    31,529.3
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    I would have to assume its the lack of market as most of these top cam manufacturers have all the computer programs that with just a little head/valve/intake and exhaust flow specs have simulate just about anything.
    I don't think that's it or else why would Schrick even do it? Somebody told me only Schrick has the equipment necessary to do VANOS cams correctly but I don't know if that's correct or not. Just something else to throw in there.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,268
    Rep Points
    1,418.2
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It has something to do with tuning and the facilities / engineering to produce proper BMW OEM level cams.

    There has to be a reason why it's just Schrick.
    tuning/facilities/engineering? i'm sure there are plenty of companies that specialize in cams that have a high level of facility/knowledge etc.
    ... in saying that, i don't mean that they have made VANOS cams before, or would be able to pump out a set in a day right off the bat. not at all.

    again, i'm not doubting that schrick is the only company that make modern BMW cams (can find plenty for older, E30 etc.)

    but i'm even having trouble finding enough information on schrick themselves, other than that their goods are amazeballs

    searching 'bmw camshafts' and various other words (complex) etc. doesn't come up with much

    though i also found http://store.vacmotorsports.com/cams...orts-c162.aspx

    seems VAC makes in house cams .. only other cams for BMW i found were non-vanos

    i take it schrick makes cams OEM for BMW? (i can't find an answer on google)

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,685
    Rep Points
    31,529.3
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    tuning/facilities/engineering? i'm sure there are plenty of companies that specialize in cams that have a high level of facility/knowledge etc.
    ... in saying that, i don't mean that they have made VANOS cams before, or would be able to pump out a set in a day right off the bat. not at all.
    I would agree but for whatever reason Schrick seems to have access to these German OEM's on a whole different level.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    seems VAC makes in house cams .. only other cams for BMW i found were non-vanos

    i take it schrick makes cams OEM for BMW? (i can't find an answer on google)
    On the builds posted here VAC is using Schrick. @Mike@VAC

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,268
    Rep Points
    1,418.2
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I would agree but for whatever reason Schrick seems to have access to these German OEM's on a whole different level.



    On the builds posted here VAC is using Schrick. @Mike@VAC
    Yeah i'd like that clarified.. It's all priced differently (the vac page vs the schrick page)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •