Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Buying parts from a dealer.

I just called my dealer and I wanted to buy a few parts. I was informed during the conversation that some parts only come in packs containing certain quantities. For instance, the radiator control sleeve for an 2007 automatic e90 335i (17 117 521 781) only comes in packs of 8, despite the fact there is only one of these on the car. This meant to get a single replacement sleeve, I was being told I would have to buy eight of them.

Of course I understand that it makes sense to package the same item together to save on freight at some point. But I would think once they are brought to the order fulfillment facility in the United States, the packs would be broken down into individual quantities to complete each order.

Was the guy I was talking to unable to comprehend how ordering parts works, or is this normal?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Try sending an IM or email to the guys at Tischer BMW: http://getbmwparts.com/contact_form.html
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Shop around, call some other dealers. Might get lucky & find 1 that has what you're looking for sitting on a shelf
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Moved to N54.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

I did end up ordering it from Tischer, but for such a cheap part, the added shipping was far more than any money I saved by using Tischer. I try to get small stuff locally when I can.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I did end up ordering it from Tischer, but for such a cheap part, the added shipping was far more than any money I saved by using Tischer. I try to get small stuff locally when I can.
    How much was the shipping?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How much was the shipping?
    Usually $8 minimum.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Right, 7.95. I used the USPS flat rate box option, but the shipping was still more than the part. It's just silly that I would have to buy eight of them from the local dealer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

@ajm8127: Get acquainted with some indy shops in your area. These guys generally have wholesale accounts who can get your parts for much cheaper than you would pay online.
    When I need a part I check with my local network and online resources, currently I have 5 local sources and whatever I can find online. I have 3 dealerships that are within range that I can grab parts from at competitive rates and two indies who give me a great deal as well. Getting to know the guys at your dealership's parts counter also goes a long way to securing deals; I'm on my 3rd BMW and I can arrange some pretty spectacular deals from the parts guys at my most local dealership.
    And as a final tip, you -can- haggle the parts counter guys down, show them the price from a competitor and they'd be willing to at least save you the cost of shipping.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV