Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

The HPF Drag Car Screams Power On The Dyno!

Decided to run the drag car on the dyno to shoot some footage. While we were doing so, we decided to play around w/ some cam timing to see how much more "ooomf" we can get. The results pleased us very well.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Chris,

The video is.............full of wrong data. And wrong info.

Why dont you tell what you did with numbers instead of saying CAM TIIMING CAM TIMING OH CAM TIMING.

Dialing a value of 5 and a value of 10.

This video is for highschool boys.

Moreover, it does not matter if you tune for GT55 or Gt30. Same logic of cam timing applies for both the small and giant turbocharger.

The logic for vanos tuning is "SAME" regardless of turbo size.

There is no second way by changing cam timing to improve spool hence torque and hence area under the curve. There is just 1 correct way of cam settings. I ve been playing with vanos on turbo S54 since 2006 january. Its been 7 years for me.
    I ve started with WINOLS, oem DME tuning by 2006. Then played with cams with my pectel ecus.
    Thats why I was shocked when I saw your video. Full of wrong info.

One more note: Its useless to advertise benefits of cam timing on a drag car:

1- majority of your customers are road cars and none of them is a drag car.

2- on a drag car, drag M3, you rev the m3 off the line, and bang. Off the line you spool and start lets say with 15 psi of boost pressure.
    Take off with 15 psi and 5000/6000 rpm...
    Yours is TH400.
    You will not loose boost pressure during gear shifts. Always same boost pressure till the end of 1/4 mile race.
    You will not need vanos to improve low end torque as your power band will always be over 5000 rpm.

This is whay it is silly to use a drag car to demonstrate cam timing.

3- It would be much more clever to advertise a road M3 hpf turbo and show results. As the road M3 hpf cars are daily driven,
    they need the beefiest low end torque to enjoy the m3s.

4- As your dyno is not a LOAD DYNO, you cannot simulate REAL ROAD LOAD CONDITIONS.
    you cannot spool the turbo as it does on the road.
    for the simulation you need a load type dyno such as dyno dynamics.

The right way for you would be to put the car on a load dyno or much better on a road course.

5- Finally, it would be the right way to at least explain on the video how cam timing affects spool / torque.
    That would entail explanation of advancing& retarding of intake and exhaust camshafts.
    Would entail overlap theory.....

All these are written by me, after playing with many different sets of S54 custom cams / oem cams , and extensive dyno-vanos tuning on dyno dynamics and road course.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lol
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ugh Mert the S54 tuning expert...

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    Chris,

The video is.............full of wrong data. And wrong info.

Why dont you tell what you did with numbers instead of saying CAM TIIMING CAM TIMING OH CAM TIMING.

Dialing a value of 5 and a value of 10.

This video is for highschool boys.

Moreover, it does not matter if you tune for GT55 or Gt30. Same logic of cam timing applies for both the small and giant turbocharger.

The logic for vanos tuning is "SAME" regardless of turbo size.

There is no second way by changing cam timing to improve spool hence torque and hence area under the curve. There is just 1 correct way of cam settings. I ve been playing with vanos on turbo S54 since 2006 january. Its been 7 years for me.
    I ve started with WINOLS, oem DME tuning by 2006. Then played with cams with my pectel ecus.
    Thats why I was shocked when I saw your video. Full of wrong info.

One more note: Its useless to advertise benefits of cam timing on a drag car:

1- majority of your customers are road cars and none of them is a drag car.

2- on a drag car, drag M3, you rev the m3 off the line, and bang. Off the line you spool and start lets say with 15 psi of boost pressure.
    Take off with 15 psi and 5000/6000 rpm...
    Yours is TH400.
    You will not loose boost pressure during gear shifts. Always same boost pressure till the end of 1/4 mile race.
    You will not need vanos to improve low end torque as your power band will always be over 5000 rpm.

This is whay it is silly to use a drag car to demonstrate cam timing.

3- It would be much more clever to advertise a road M3 hpf turbo and show results. As the road M3 hpf cars are daily driven,
    they need the beefiest low end torque to enjoy the m3s.

4- As your dyno is not a LOAD DYNO, you cannot simulate REAL ROAD LOAD CONDITIONS.
    you cannot spool the turbo as it does on the road.
    for the simulation you need a load type dyno such as dyno dynamics.

The right way for you would be to put the car on a load dyno or much better on a road course.

5- Finally, it would be the right way to at least explain on the video how cam timing affects spool / torque.
    That would entail explanation of advancing& retarding of intake and exhaust camshafts.
    Would entail overlap theory.....

All these are written by me, after playing with many different sets of S54 custom cams / oem cams , and extensive dyno-vanos tuning on dyno dynamics and road course.
    I am a highschool boy soooooo. Great video guys, that thing sounds sick.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ugh Mert the S54 tuning expert...
    what I wrote is not about S54.

Its valid for any car.
    E36 M3 Euro TT 60-130 mph 4.49 s
    E46 M3 3.6L TT 60-130 mph 4.22 s
    All Wheel drive M3 Twin Turbo
    997 TT