Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Thumbs up Procede In-Dash Boost Guage

It's been a while coming but what a great additional feature, and keep in mind this costs existing users nothing apart from a firmware update.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok, that is pretty cool Click here to enlarge

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is there a reason why your BRAKE light is on going 110mph? Click here to enlarge

That is pretty cool, but how useful is "I just boosted to 3/4 of a tank" or "My boost shows E" Click here to enlarge Where is 0? What is F?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nemith Click here to enlarge
    Is there a reason why your BRAKE light is on going 110mph? Click here to enlarge

That is pretty cool, but how useful is "I just boosted to 3/4 of a tank" or "My boost shows E" Click here to enlarge Where is 0? What is F?
    It is just a cool little feature that can be turned off or on at any time, not meant to be a replacement for a true gauge or anything like that.

The only reason I would use it would be to show my friends.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nemith Click here to enlarge

It's pretty easy. The boost gauge reads up to 20psi. Which means that every 1/4 mark is 5psi. So 3/4 is 15psi. It's about as intuitive as you are going to get and I don't think people are going to be confused. It is designed to tell you what boost you are running. Which is useful especially when autotuning is active. It can also display other day such as methanol flow %, IAT, ignition advance, etc,. Same goes for the oil temp gauge. Everything will be configurable and adjustable on the fly by double-tapping the Hazard button.

Shiv

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    very very cool. With the Performance Wheel you can read both oil and water temp and use the 2 gauges for meth flow and IAT
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    It's pretty easy. The boost gauge reads up to 20psi. Which means that every 1/4 mark is 5psi. So 3/4 is 15psi. It's about as intuitive as you are going to get and I don't think people are going to be confused. It is designed to tell you what boost you are running. Which is useful especially when autotuning is active. It can also display other day such as methanol flow %, IAT, ignition advance, etc,. Same goes for the oil temp gauge. Everything will be configurable and adjustable on the fly by double-tapping the Hazard button.

Shiv
    Thank you for a clear and straight answer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Thank you for a clear and straight answer
    No problem LM

Btw, the brake light is on because I have a broken brakepad level sensor that I've been to busy to fix. Maybe this weekend Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting, and definitely a cool feature if you didn't want anything cluttering up the dash. Obviously not a real replacement, but not too shabby for a quick gauge look.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    shiv, will you be able to output the data to the bmw PSW? i know a few people including myself who run your tune and have a wheel. would be awesome to have my normal boost gauge, have the fuel be AFR and on my wheel have more options Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    just curious, how is it not a real replacement? it's extremely easy to read... 1/2 = 10psi, 3/4=15psi, full = 20psi. every tick is 1psi so it matches up perfectly. when peak hold/recall is activated there will be no reason to have another gauge.. and that's coming from someone who has (and loves) a RIX gauge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    just curious, how is it not a real replacement? it's extremely easy to read... 1/2 = 10psi, 3/4=15psi, full = 20psi. every tick is 1psi so it matches up perfectly. when peak hold/recall is activated there will be no reason to have another gauge.. and that's coming from someone who has (and loves) a RIX gauge.
    Probably just due to the size and due to the fact it is not supplementary but replaces the fuel gauge. You can turn it off of course.

The Rixster gauge obviously is easier to read and looks cool, plus digital. This is cool and all but not a replacement for a real gauge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the "lack of fuel gauge" argument is ridiculous. you can easily switch over if you really want or just keep the "miles till empty" digital reading active (which I've always done anyways since I received the car). you also have the warning "dings" for low fuel

the argument about the rix gauge being easier to read is also rubbish. it's nearly impossible to see while driving with your hands on the wheel. I don't know about you but for me it's completely blocked by my fist on the wheel. I always use the peak recall on it to see what just happened. all-in-all the gas gauge is easier to see

and speaking of peak recall.. who's to say a digital peak recall isn't coming Click here to enlarge?

this really is a perfectly viable gauge for those without. and just a great extra feature.
    Last edited by jpsimon; 07-24-2010 at 01:04 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the "lack of fuel gauge" argument is ridiculous. you can easily switch over if you really want or just keep the "miles till empty" digital reading active (which I've always done anyways since I received the car). you also have the warning "dings" for low fuel

the argument about the rix gauge being easier to read is also rubbish. it's nearly impossible to see while driving with your hands on the wheel. I don't know about you but for me it's completely blocked by my fist on the wheel. I always use the peak recall on it to see what just happened.

and speaking of peak recall.. who's to say a digital peak recall isn't coming Click here to enlarge? honestly, it is a viable gauge for those without.
    That is exactly what I said, you can disable it. Still, you can't have both at the same time, can you?

Nah, the Rix gauge is easier to read specifically telling you the boost with a digital readout. The fuel gauge can't do that. Would be cool if you could use the center display area to show a digital reading along with using the fuel gauge.

It is a cool toy, but I just don't see it being a replacement for a dedicated gauge. What if someone goes over 20 psi for example?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the digital "miles till empty" and the low fuel "dings" are both active with the boost gauge on.

the rix gauge is only useful for peak digital recall, it is impossible to see while driving. soon that will also be a feature so you get the best of both worlds and actually be able to see it while driving.

for most users it will be a perfectly fine gauge, not a "toy" as you put it. if you plan on boosting over 20psi a different gauge might be better at this very moment but when the digital recall is active it won't be a big deal since again the rix is only useable for peak recall as well).
    Last edited by jpsimon; 07-24-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the digital "miles till empty" and the low fuel "dings" are both active with the boost gauge on.

the rix gauge is only useful for peak digital recall, it is impossible to see while driving. soon that will also be a feature so you get the best of both worlds and actually be able to see it while driving.

for most users it will be a perfectly fine gauge, not a "toy" as you put it. if you plan on boosting over 20psi a different gauge might be better at this very moment but when the digital recall is active it won't be a big deal since again the rix is only useable for peak recall as well).
    I know that, I was saying a digital read out for the boost in that same spot.

I consider it more of a toy and cool feature, not a real gauge. The Rixster also suffers somewhat from the novelty factor.

Would you really prefer the gas gauge for boost over a large, easy to read gauge? I wouldn't.

It isn't a replacement for something like this:

That is easier to read, larger, and can go higher than 20 psi if necessary.

I think this is cool, nice feature. It isn't super complicated to read, but it definitely is more of a novelty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's what I was getting at, it is easier to read numbers than a fuel gauge, especially if you're pushing the car, the last thing you want to do is look at your fuel gauge trying to figure out the psi.

Either way, really nifty feature nonetheless!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought about getting that turner gauge back when I got the rix - it's really nice but just slightly too obtrusive for my taste in a 50k+ BMW. that's the issue though., you can't have an easy to read gauge that isn't obtrusive.. that's why the gas location is so nice IMO

If the gas gauge was available at the time (along with the peak recall feature) I wouldn't have spent the money on any additional gauge
    Last edited by jpsimon; 07-24-2010 at 01:43 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought about getting that turner gauge back when I got the rix - it's really nice but just slightly too obtrusive for my taste in a 50k+ BMW. that's the issue though., you can't have an easy to read gauge that isn't obtrusive.. that's why the gas location is so nice IMO

If the gas gauge was available at the time (along with the peak recall feature) I wouldn't have spent the money on any additional gauge
    It depends, there are tons of gauge designs out there. I wasn't saying the Turner gauge specifically just giving an example of something easier to read.

I can see someone not wanting to spend money on an additional gauge. I mean, its cool, just personal preference. I have seen some very nice setups in the rear view mirror as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    v1 display in the rear view is my fav

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    v1 display in the rear view is my fav
    Exactly, there is someone that has this type of setup with a boost gauge in the rear view. Pretty trick..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

old video i made when i first got both installed the same day (ignore music, i used that as reference for exhaust sound) . Notice camera placement is not "too" far off from drivers perspective. Now as "nice/cool" as the fuel guage display is, which one is easier for you to see? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The Rix gauge looks easier to read in your video because you're recording from the left side of your head. I'm sure that you can't see the gauge from your perspective, especially if you hold the steering wheel with your left hand at the 9 o'clock position.

I've asked the makers of the Rix gauge to see whether they could make their gauge on the right vent (as the Turner Motorsport one). They never replied. I don't think it would be too difficult to produce one for that side. Their gauge is the best looking, but it's not practical in my opinion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    if you say so. i suppose it comes down to hand placement for some. As i can see it just fine

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    [video=youtube;cw_YP6di3U0] (ignore music, i used that as reference for exhaust sound)
    Admit it, you like that song! I see your head bobbin'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast