Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Joined the club...

Drove up to Chicago and picked up a 2001 with high miles but heavy maintenance and much of the common stuff replaced. I got it for $12k with 153k miles.

I'm budgeting ~$2k/yr in maint and replacement parts, the major issues have been taken care of already and it had some good things going for it so I figured it was worth taking the chance. I had a PPI done on it by a guy with a few E39 M5s, he said about the only thing it needs are rotors and some bushings around the rear diff. As I drive it I find the clutch slips pretty bad on hard 2nd gear engagements, but the last clutch was done at 90k so I guess I need to plan on doing that? Braking from high speed is iffy too as the rotors feel warped.

The exhaust is pretty close to a muffler delete, but I may pull the cans just to see what it sounds like.

- April '12 Refinished stock wheels
    - April '12 Refinished leather interior
    - Aug '12 Pilot SS from Tire rack
    - Supersprint mufflers & X-pipe
    - Dinan springs w/ Koni shocks
    - Square tire setup
    - Short throw shifter
    - Hard-wired V1 (V1 came with the car too)
    - Sept '12 Valve cover gasket replaced
    - 35% tint
    - Built-in XM radio

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Whoops, obviously not an S85, meant to pick S62.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice looking car - that's what an M5 should look like IMO. Good luck with it. I have a friend that has an M5 similar to this - not sure if he still has it though. Did you know the guy, or respond to an ad?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Nice looking car - that's what an M5 should look like IMO. Good luck with it. I have a friend that has an M5 similar to this - not sure if he still has it though. Did you know the guy, or respond to an ad?
    Got it from a guy in Chicago who is from Lithuania, it was an ad run on m5boards FS forum. Car is in great shape for 11yrs old and that many miles, obviously cared for but it does have it's share of rock chips. Since I plan on using the car for a light commute I won't bother making it perfect, but will try to keep it nice and not drive it in anything but sunny weather.

I like the look of these so much I had a hard time not buying a much nicer '03 from EA in Ohio, but I figure I should get my feet wet first and see how they are to live with.

I'll be watching for a used supercharger to bring the power up, I didn't buy it for outright speed but I'd like it if it was as fast as my 335xi Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you joined the club you should learn you motor is an S62 not S85 Click here to enlarge

Editing the prefix.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale