Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

2008 335XI started smoking and running like crap, threw a bunch of codes, and won't start...smells like raw fuel

In hindsight I've had a bit of a miss on some cold starts lately (the weather has also gotten much cooler), but something went bad wrong today. It was pretty cool this morning, about freezing. Started missing as soon as I started it, I figured it would clear out in a minute or two, it normally does. Instead of getting better it got worse and started smoking (gray). You could smell the cats. Nursed it back home smoking and missing, read the codes, cleared the codes, uninstalled the Cobb, now it won't start. Codes were:

29AAF - "normal" fuel pump code for a lot of Cobb people
    2C3D - O2 sensor code
    2C7B - O2 sensor code
    2C7B - O2 sensor code
    29CD - ignition miss
    29F1 - another fuel pump code

I assume the O2 sensor codes are from all the missing and raw fuel. I assume that any sort of fuel pump failure would result in lean problems rather than raw fuel problems...anyone disagree? This is the first time I've seen a bunch of gray smoke from it. I can see how it could possibly be ignition or an injector stuck open, but the problem would appear to be on more than one cylinder from the way it's running and the amount of smoke being produced.

Anybody seen this before?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mileage? Could be a lot things that I'm sure others will chime in on. Bad injectors, gunked valves need cleaning, possible bad coils . I think misbehaving vanos throws a specific code but someone who has dealt with it should comment.

N54s dont seem to age gracefully...

Did you have all of youe recalls done? (injectors in particular)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

With no spark you'll have un-burnt fuel in the cylinder. I'd look at changing the plug and/or coil since they're the cheapest and go from there.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Let the lpfp prime for a bit before trying to start. I think it should be able to limp with just the lpfp. Going from working to not suddenly seems likes a hpfp issue. You sure Cobb uninstalled correctly?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Unfortunately I'm not sure it uninstalled correctly since it hasn't started since the uninstall. It told me that it uninstalled correctly, though, and all the behavior and dash lights are normal except for it not starting. Wedge1967(?) on E90P said it's an injector bank. I was able to look at my logs that I took during that time and it appears that either the HPFP it out, or has been disabled due to the injector bank issue. The first 3 logs show the pressure at 500-600psi even when it's supposed to be 2000+, and then the last log showed 80psi on the high side and a requested pressure of 0. If it were simply a fuel pump I would expect it to be lean instead of rich, so I suspect he's right. I'm on CPO, I'll call the dealership Monday morning to come get it. I'll make one more attempt to start it...if it doesn't start I just have to hope the Cobb uninstalled correctly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

You have one misfire. Start with a coil on whatever cylinder it is. Change the plug as well and go from there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I have bigger problems than the misfire. It'll go in to the dealer on CPO tomorrow and I'll report back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Update:

After a night of letting it air out it did start this morning, still missing and smelling of raw fuel. Must have been really flooded yesterday. So it looks like the Cobb uninstall went OK and I can probably nurse it to the dealership tomorrow morning without a tow, since it's only a few blocks away.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

It was an "injector bank" as Wedge1967 said. They said they replaced 3 injectors and that everything was great. Apparently they hadn't run it very long. I got a call a little later saying to hang onto the rental overnight, as soon as they started warming it up they realized how much fuel was still in the exhaust system and wanted to take everything apart and look into it for further damage. I'm surprised they didn't figure that out before calling me the first time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, all three injectors went south at once? Or, did they just change all of them to save time troubleshooting?

Just seems odd that they'd do that, though it's great news for you!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I'm not sure. I'm hoping to find out more information when I get it back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge

N54s dont seem to age gracefully...
    I'd have to agree. When the car runs perfectly, it puts a small on the drivers face.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by scflaw Click here to enlarge
    I'd have to agree. When the car runs perfectly, it puts a small on the drivers face.
    I love BMWs and this is my 2nd (both 335xi) but, honestly, they have their issues.

If lexus/infiniti/acura made a similar car (awd, turbo 3L, ~$50k), I'd look at it pretty hard as it would prob be easier to get a tune (new cars) and I wouldn't be scared to own it after the warranty expired.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

My car is also starting to throw some random o2 codes bank 2 front sensor. It is intermittent though, so until it comes back constantly I won't worry too much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I agree that if Honda made an AWD 3.0T it would probably be a lot more reliable.

Update: Not a lot of news, they still have the car because they decided to put new turbos on it and it took a while to get approval from HQ because of Sandy. They claim that it was unrelated to the injector failure, they just saw some fluid leakage and decided to replace them on CPO...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

wow, wish i had a dealer like that. my wastegate rattle is terrible and they told me that they've heard worse and wouldn't replace them.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
    I agree that if Honda made an AWD 3.0T it would probably be a lot more reliable.

Update: Not a lot of news, they still have the car because they decided to put new turbos on it and it took a while to get approval from HQ because of Sandy. They claim that it was unrelated to the injector failure, they just saw some fluid leakage and decided to replace them on CPO...
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You know, I don't think that the reliability is that bad. That is, this was a new motor and the things that tend to go south are easily fixable and they tend to (eventually) replace them with better units (thinking of things like fuel pumps and injectors). Turbos are a bit more work and not cheap, I agree, but I would not lose sight of the fact that people are pushing lots of power out of the N54 beyond the factory specs. Also, we are not having any real mechanical plagues like bad piston rings or constantly shattering transmissions.

At the end of the day, it's not like this is a Subaru or Mitsu turbo motor that has been around since I was in grade school. This is some high tech stuff that is still being perfected. Just IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I have to agree with this. Yes, this car has seen the shop more than any car i've ever owned, $#@!, probably more than all of my previous cars combined. With that being said, they have all been minor things such as coils, injectors, fuel pressure sensor, etc. the common N54 things. Not bad considering the engine is currently pushing 150HP/200TQ more than it did stock and it's been doing this for the last year with lots of abuse. probably 80 drag strip passes, 40 dyno pulls and countless 3rd gear HWY pulls. It's frustrating at times but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vwgrk1 Click here to enlarge
    You know, I don't think that the reliability is that bad. That is, this was a new motor and the things that tend to go south are easily fixable and they tend to (eventually) replace them with better units (thinking of things like fuel pumps and injectors). Turbos are a bit more work and not cheap, I agree, but I would not lose sight of the fact that people are pushing lots of power out of the N54 beyond the factory specs. Also, we are not having any real mechanical plagues like bad piston rings or constantly shattering transmissions.

At the end of the day, it's not like this is a Subaru or Mitsu turbo motor that has been around since I was in grade school. This is some high tech stuff that is still being perfected. Just IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I've been trying to make a list in my head of things someone would want to carry in their trunk to be comfortable driving this car anywhere any time (think Wyoming with almost no dealerships) past 200k miles. I'm thinking besides tools required to get to everything you'd want a water pump, at least one coil, and at least 3 injectors and ideally a way to code new parts. Problem is, I keep running into new "common problems" that I've never heard of until it happens to me. This whole injector sticking wide open thing is the latest. But what really scares me is stuff like the dealership replacing my water pump and then immediately replacing it again because the replacement wasn't giving a good tach signal. So even if somebody had been carrying that first replacement around in their trunk just in case they'd still be screwed when they went to use it. If you never leave "civilization" perhaps this isn't so much of an issue...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

HAHA, i keep a tool box in my trunk with no less than a spark plug, a coil, an injector, my coding cable, my laptop and a small contingent of appropriate tools. I've been on a couple 7hr road trips though and it never breaks while normal driving. It usually only breaks at the track or when I'm beating on it on purpose on the HWY.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
    I've been trying to make a list in my head of things someone would want to carry in their trunk to be comfortable driving this car anywhere any time (think Wyoming with almost no dealerships) past 200k miles. I'm thinking besides tools required to get to everything you'd want a water pump, at least one coil, and at least 3 injectors and ideally a way to code new parts. Problem is, I keep running into new "common problems" that I've never heard of until it happens to me. This whole injector sticking wide open thing is the latest. But what really scares me is stuff like the dealership replacing my water pump and then immediately replacing it again because the replacement wasn't giving a good tach signal. So even if somebody had been carrying that first replacement around in their trunk just in case they'd still be screwed when they went to use it. If you never leave "civilization" perhaps this isn't so much of an issue...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    wow, wish i had a dealer like that. my wastegate rattle is terrible and they told me that they've heard worse and wouldn't replace them.
    I had a little pow wow with my dealer. At first they denied it and then we got into specifics like applied vacuum and WG position and I even told them I removed the DPs and confirmed a loose turbo bore housing. Basically they want to know that they will have enough proof to present BMW... I heard BMW has "kicked back" some repairs even after being approved, where the dealer has to eat the cost... due to the local tech's assessment.

My dealer is pretty strict so I had to go completely back to stock... but they confirmed new turbos yesterday. They do want the work, but they have to get paid by BMW. I always thought that dealers got some bonus for reduced warranty work, but this is not true... they welcome the work.

BTW: thanks for helping on the stock parts!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

My dealer seems to be looking for work to do under CPO but HQ did require pictures so I don't know what would have happened if there were any mods visible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    OMG @bigdnno98, you helped JoshBoody?? No one should be helping this guy Click here to enlarge i kid, i kid

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

No prob, glad you're getting the turbos replaced. That's exactly what I was trying to do instead of buying upgraded turbos but..... oh well. More HP now.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    I had a little pow wow with my dealer. At first they denied it and then we got into specifics like applied vacuum and WG position and I even told them I removed the DPs and confirmed a loose turbo bore housing. Basically they want to know that they will have enough proof to present BMW... I heard BMW has "kicked back" some repairs even after being approved, where the dealer has to eat the cost... due to the local tech's assessment.

My dealer is pretty strict so I had to go completely back to stock... but they confirmed new turbos yesterday. They do want the work, but they have to get paid by BMW. I always thought that dealers got some bonus for reduced warranty work, but this is not true... they welcome the work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Picked up the car tonight. Final results, 3 injectors and 1 turbo, all from bank 1. Didn't change the rear turbo like the originally said they would, I guess HQ only authorized the one that was obviously leaking. It seems to get boost quicker, may be a better wastegate on the new one.