Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Pbox 1/4 mile runs: 12.5 @ 118

Tonight was some good weather and its the weekly car meet night so me and some buddies went out for some pbox timing. The weather was 68 degrees and we are at sea level.

my car is 2007 335i auto coupe with:
    jb4 g5 iso map 5 50/50 e85
    vrsf intercooler
    vrsf downpipes
    dci
    muffler delete
    vmr vb3 18x8.5 front 18x9.5 rear running 275 v12 evos in the back

the car really needs an lsd and that is most likely my next mod.

car had good mph but i need to work on launch and or get net tires

the runs are posted down below

Click here to enlarge

other cars that pboxed that night was a race striped 2500lb rx7 with a ls3 making 450whp. He went 12.9 @ 119. due to unfortunate 1/4 mile gearing which makes him have to shift into 5th right before the end of the run.
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Pretty good trap for no meth. Honestly for straight line traction tires are more important than an LSD.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Pretty good trap for no meth. Honestly for straight line traction tires are more important than an LSD.
    Hit the nail on the head my friend. There are MANY E55's running low 11's with an open diff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Honestly for straight line traction tires are more important than an LSD.
    Do you have an LSD on your car? I would tend to disagree with that statement entirely as I've run the absolute stickiest tires with an open diff on this car and it was night/day after the LSD in terms of traction.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Do you have an LSD on your car? I would tend to disagree with that statement entirely as I've run the absolute stickiest tires with an open diff on this car and it was night/day after the LSD in terms of traction.
    09+ N54s have an e-diff. The 07-08s are open diff. Just saying

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    09+ N54s have an e-diff. The 07-08s are open diff. Just saying
    e-diff is still using the same open diff and still sucks Click here to enlarge its still using brakes to balance out traction
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I do not have an LSD. I've pulled 1.8 60' pretty regularly without an LSD on street tires. Terry said if he had to do it over he wouldn't waste his money on an LSD as he didn't see any significant 60' gains with the LSD.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I do not have an LSD. I've pulled 1.8 60' pretty regularly without an LSD on street tires. Terry said if he had to do it over he wouldn't waste his money on an LSD as he didn't see any significant 60' gains with the LSD.
    6AT I take it?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

the way i think of it is yeah tires are a big factor but say i get better tires say nitto 555r's 275's with an open diff i have 1 275 trying to work with a diff i have 2 275's putting traction down and i dont really see how double the contact patch that is actually trying to spin could be a minor difference

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    e-diff is still using the same open diff and still sucks Click here to enlarge its still using brakes to balance out traction
    The point is we late model guys are less traction challenged than the early model guys

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    The point is we late model guys are less traction challenged than the early model guys
    Sure but the e-diff is using brakes to give you that traction with the open diff in the back based on wheel spin. So not only are you spinning and losing traction as one wheel loses torque vs. the other, you also compound the effect of the system applying brakes to slow the wheel without traction down..just a mess when it comes to performance...autos get away with it more than 6MTs due to clear launch advantages but that's not to say the LSD won't assist with traction..it most certainly will
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

6AT I take it?
    6MT and that was before my WOTBOX

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WDBi Click here to enlarge
    the way i think of it is yeah tires are a big factor but say i get better tires say nitto 555r's 275's with an open diff i have 1 275 trying to work with a diff i have 2 275's putting traction down and i dont really see how double the contact patch that is actually trying to spin could be a minor difference
    LSDs only apply power to the other wheel when one is spinning so you're not really putting power down with more tire. Thus why I'm stressing the importance of tires.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Open diff doesn't really have as big of a disadvantage in a straight line as people think. The LSD makes a greater difference on the road course where the inside and outside wheels have different speeds when cornering.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

This sounds about right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

LSDs only apply power to the other wheel when one is spinning so you're not really putting power down with more tire. Thus why I'm stressing the importance of tires.
    Right again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Went out to the strip today ran 12.1 @ 114 i figured out later i had a massive almost 4 psi boost leak on map 5 due to my charge pipe popping off. The car went 118 a few times on the street thursday night so i think if my car runs 118 or 119 at the track i can get an 11 second pass down with street tires. I have 275 v12 evos and am managing 1.9 60's with an open diff. Besides the small issue of the boost leak which is now fixed the car is running great with its current mods (jb4 g5 iso map 5 50/50 e85, downpipes, intercooler, dci, lighter wheels, and muffler delete) where do i go from here?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

IDK. I still haven't broken 11s yet either LOL. that's with 440hp/480tq too. I would say RBs Click here to enlarge or at least meth. If you have the money for an LSD, it certainly won't hurt and everyone loves it for DD. I'm just not sure it'll give you the ETs you're looking for on the strip. Maybe some NT555r?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

IDK. I still haven't broken 11s yet either LOL. that's with 440hp/480tq too. I would say RBs Click here to enlarge or at least meth. If you have the money for an LSD, it certainly won't hurt and everyone loves it for DD. I'm just not sure it'll give you the ETs you're looking for on the strip. Maybe some NT555r?
    honestly i dont want to jinx myself but i am not worried about running 11.9. The car did 12.1 trapping 114 4-5 mph slower than when the car is running right. i just want to go faster lol. i have full straight pipe exhaust, intercooler, tune and intake. Recently ive really been considering waiting to get vargas gtx kit and in the mean time porting my heads and working out a way to run 100% e85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

honestly i dont want to jinx myself but i am not worried about running 11.9. The car did 12.1 trapping 114 4-5 mph slower than when the car is running right. i just want to go faster lol. i have full straight pipe exhaust, intercooler, tune and intake. Recently ive really been considering waiting to get vargas gtx kit and in the mean time porting my heads and working out a way to run 100% e85
    I'd wait to see what dzenno thinks about the head job. I was on a quest to run 100% e85 also but my LPFP just wouldn't cooperate. I've been sitting quietly for Terry to finish his Walboro testing or Shiv to release his "magic" LPFP upgrade. Terry said the HPFP ran out of juice shortly after the OEM LPFP did though so I'm not sure it's gonna be possible without running more efficient turbos. I have a NOS kit for sale Click here to enlarge That'll def get you in the mid 11s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I'd wait to see what dzenno thinks about the head job. I was on a quest to run 100% e85 also but my LPFP just wouldn't cooperate. I've been sitting quietly for Terry to finish his Walboro testing or Shiv to release his "magic" LPFP upgrade. Terry said the HPFP ran out of juice shortly after the OEM LPFP did though so I'm not sure it's gonna be possible without running more efficient turbos. I have a NOS kit for sale Click here to enlarge That'll def get you in the mid 11s
    lol im kind of set on running this car into the 11's or mid 11's on daily trim

i mean i have 117 octane race gas in my garage waiting for a good moment for some high octane testing but other than that i have weight reduction done but if you rode in my car you wouldnt be able to tell even though the car is around 3300 with around a half a tank of gas. Im just big on having a car that will always run XX.X @ XXX always not this speed on meth this speed on slicks this speed on nos so i try to do things that make me faster always.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

i mean i have 117 octane race gas in my garage waiting for a good moment for some high octane testing but other than that i have weight reduction done but if you rode in my car you wouldnt be able to tell even though the car is around 3300 with around a half a tank of gas. Im just big on having a car that will always run XX.X @ XXX always not this speed on meth this speed on slicks this speed on nos so i try to do things that make me faster always.
    So basically you have shaved off about 200lbs? Thats pretty impressive...

Basically you are right there with a 135i in terms of weight.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Meth is no different than e85 to me. I DD on meth. I never use any other map than my meth map. To me e85 is more of a PITA than meth. I have a 2.5 gal meth tank in my trunk. It's always full. I can go on a road trip and as long as I'm not WOT for 5 hours straight, I'll still have meth when I get where I'm going and on my way back. E85 on the other hand. Most rural gas stations do not have e85 so I'm having to lower meth additive on the JB4 so now i can't run as much boost, etc. I'm just saying that meth is just as much DD trim as e85 is. NOS and slicks are not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
    So basically you have shaved off about 200lbs? Thats pretty impressive...

Basically you are right there with a 135i in terms of weight.
    never weighed the car stock so i cant comment on that but honestly its not hard to get to 135 i weight i think if i wanted to i could get it to 3100lbs to head out to a track.

all i have done so far is remove the trunk lining, put light wheels, no muffler no cats just straight pipe and im going to have a custom lightweight titanium exhaust made soon, and remove cowls and other things that arent needed from the engine bay.

to get down to 3100lbs i think all you would need is remove seats front and back get a light weight battery

and i think this car would be not too bad to get to 3000 for a track event. just do everything above but replace driver seat hood and trunk with light parts and put even lighter wheels on like koseis'

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Meth is no different than e85 to me. I DD on meth. I never use any other map than my meth map. To me e85 is more of a PITA than meth. I have a 2.5 gal meth tank in my trunk. It's always full. I can go on a road trip and as long as I'm not WOT for 5 hours straight, I'll still have meth when I get where I'm going and on my way back. E85 on the other hand. Most rural gas stations do not have e85 so I'm having to lower meth additive on the JB4 so now i can't run as much boost, etc. I'm just saying that meth is just as much DD trim as e85 is. NOS and slicks are not.
    i understand what you are saying but e85 is easier for me than meth. There are 3 different stations that sell the stuff within a 15 minute radius drive. I dont travel much but i went on a 4 hour trip a few weeks ago and i never had a problem finding e85. And to me theres something about the ease of mind that its going in my tank and i know its going in my engine when with meth i would fill it up and worry if it was flowing. Also i believe my cars power is smoother with e85 than what it was on meth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast