Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    So how much does your own car put down? Where are the OMG dynos, videos?? You're pretty silent on the subject for someone who got his car back after a two years wait.
    I don't think he has it back yet...
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's a pretty well known issue.
    I've heard people say that, but I've never seen a convincing, to me, explanation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    I've heard people say that, but I've never seen a convincing, to me, explanation.
    Well you can track your car frequently and find out...
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    So how much does your own car put down? Where are the OMG dynos, videos?? You're pretty silent on the subject for someone who got his car back after a two years wait.
    It will put down more than this. Not silent at all I'm right here.

Don't have the car back yet so don't know what you are talking about.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It will put down more than this. Not silent at all I'm right here.

Don't have the car back yet so don't know what you are talking about.
    Ah I thought you said somewhere that it was ready. My bad then.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think alot of this power and boost limiting has to do with the stock DCT clutch / limits.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well you can track your car frequently and find out...
    Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit, I don't know anyone that tracks more than Klammer and his car is going strong. Track miles are harder on the car...people need to be realistic about things. No engine will last forever and parts do wear. What oversights/design-flaws may be accelerating wear, if any, is what is in debate in my opinion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit, I don't know anyone that tracks more than Klammer and his car is going strong. Track miles are harder on the car...people need to be realistic about things. No engine will last forever and parts do wear. What oversights/design-flaws may be accelerating wear, if any, is what is in debate in my opinion.
    I agree regarding track wear but if I thought there wasn't an issue would I really be prepared to shell out $7k to dry sump mine?

Would dry sump kits even exist if there was no oil starvation issue?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd bet the VAC/VF car does more

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    I'd bet the VAC/VF car does more
    Ok, well I meant individuals. Klammer is out there basically every week beatin'.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree regarding track wear but if I thought there wasn't an issue would I really be prepared to shell out $7k to dry sump mine?

Would dry sump kits even exist if there was no oil starvation issue?
    I don't know if you would honestly.

The existence of a commercial product doesn't convince me there is an issue; simply that there is a market for said aftermarket item.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but I'd like someone to explain to me, on a technical level, how they have concluded that there is an issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The existence of a commercial product doesn't convince me there is an issue
    How about people racing the cars on the track buying said product? Do people invest in $7k products for fun?

simply that there is a market for said aftermarket item.
    Exactly, there is a market for it.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but I'd like someone to explain to me, on a technical level, how they have concluded that there is an issue.
    You've seen this? http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...MW-do-a-recall

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How about people racing the cars on the track buying said product? Do people invest in $7k products for fun?
    Yah - a ton of them actually. I bought a ~$2k, non-functional lip because I think it looks cool and is unique.

LOL

I have, and it leads me to believe that there may be a problem with a number of items, but that no one has conclusively shown which is the source. The fact that BMW changed the bearings leads me to conclude that they are either the problem, or they thought they could mitigate the actual problem by changing the bearings. Could be a number of things. As I've said before, I don't see anything wrong with overengineering a car; especially an extreme-performance car like yours. I just don't see how we have established that this (oil system) is the source of the issue. If anything, I would lean toward the actual bearing tolerances.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yah - a ton of them actually. I bought a ~$2k, non-functional lip because I think it looks cool and is unique.
    I think you know there is a big difference between aesthetics and mechanical function.

I have, and it leads me to believe that there may be a problem with a number of items, but that no one has conclusively shown which is the source. The fact that BMW changed the bearings leads me to conclude that they are either the problem, or they thought they could mitigate the actual problem by changing the bearings. Could be a number of things. As I've said before, I don't see anything wrong with overengineering a car; especially an extreme-performance car like yours. I just don't see how we have established that this (oil system) is the source of the issue. If anything, I would lean toward the actual bearing tolerances.
    Well you may need more conclusive proof I guess but seeing motors torn down myself in person as well as the opinions of various tuners has provided me more than enough. If you wish to pursue it further by all means but I have enough evidence to come to my own conclusion regarding the S65 oiling system. Also keep in mind BMW did not dry sump it like they did the S85, something else to look into.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think you know there is a big difference between aesthetics and mechanical function.
    Yes and no. Some people buy the Amuse exhaust - that was like $15k list - insane....to me; worth it to others.

Well you may need more conclusive proof I guess but seeing motors torn down myself in person as well as the opinions of various tuners has provided me more than enough. If you wish to pursue it further by all means but I have enough evidence to come to my own conclusion regarding the S65 oiling system. Also keep in mind BMW did not dry sump it like they did the S85, something else to look into.
    More power to you. Put it to you this way...if my motor ever does blow, I will probably put in a dry sump on the rebuild. Makes sense to me given the rest of the investment and the potential to help. But I would look closely at all of the tolerances in the motor and go after an inside source at BMW to see what they could tell me about improving on their design.

But before that I would rather put the OEM, euro, dry sump system on my 308. The US comes wet sump and the 3L V8 does really need it if you plan to track the thing a lot. I'm going to track it, but I'll be off the gas in the turns, and try to keep the revs down. Just blast it on the straights. The M3 I drive at limit. If it blows, I will tear it down and share the results.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes and no. Some people buy the Amuse exhaust - that was like $15k list - insane....to me; worth it to others.
    But the point is an exhaust isn't a preventative or safety measure for the S65. A dry sump's intended function is a bit different.

But I would look closely at all of the tolerances in the motor and go after an inside source at BMW to see what they could tell me about improving on their design.
    If you have an inside source let me know. The bearings are just 1 part of a bigger picture.

The M3 I drive at limit. If it blows, I will tear it down and share the results.
    Excellent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you have an inside source let me know.
    Distant in-law. For emergency use only. : )

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Distant in-law. For emergency use only. : )
    I'm with you. I've had 3 E9x M3's, no bearings problem. The M3 GT4 uses the exact same lubrication setup as our cars. If it was a weak point, wouldn't BMW address it in those racer cars? Because it would be really embarrassing if a race car with it's all race goodies threw a rod out of it's block.

I don't deny that they were cars with said problems, which is very normal to find some bad examples in thousands. The first problem here is this issue became too big because some people gains benefits with feeding such stories to the community.

My E90's had bent valve because the buyer did a money shift and over revved the engine nearly to 9500. Should i now make a thread and say our valve springs, timing chain or other relative parts are designed poorly? No, because i know what exactly happened and it had nothing to do with the engine itself. This bring the second issue in this bearing thing. Can the same said about the failed motors discussed here? Did we get full info on the blown motors? Do we know how often they would get an oil change? etc...

But i know one thing. Most of the blown engines had SC, and there are a lot of shady things going on in the SC business. One guy blew his engine and blamed the bearing. But he didn't say that he had a meth-based tune and he was running on a empty meth tank. SMH

Are you in Ferrarichat btw?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    I'm with you. I've had 3 E9x M3's, no bearings problem.
    I had an E46 M3 with no bearing problems. Does that mean the E46 M3 S54 had no bearing problems?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    I'm with you. I've had 3 E9x M3's, no bearings problem. The M3 GT4 uses the exact same lubrication setup as our cars. If it was a weak point, wouldn't BMW address it in those racer cars? Because it would be really embarrassing if a race car with it's all race goodies threw a rod out of it's block.

I don't deny that they were cars with said problems, which is very normal to find some bad examples in thousands. The first problem here is this issue became too big because some people gains benefits with feeding such stories to the community.

My E90's had bent valve because the buyer did a money shift and over revved the engine nearly to 9500. Should i now make a thread and say our valve springs, timing chain or other relative parts are designed poorly? No, because i know what exactly happened and it had nothing to do with the engine itself. This bring the second issue in this bearing thing. Can the same said about the failed motors discussed here? Did we get full info on the blown motors? Do we know how often they would get an oil change? etc...

But i know one thing. Most of the blown engines had SC, and there are a lot of shady things going on in the SC business. One guy blew his engine and blamed the bearing. But he didn't say that he had a meth-based tune and he was running on a empty meth tank. SMH

Are you in Ferrarichat btw?
    People certainly need to be weary of everything they read on the internet. Taking any motives out of it for a sec; it is simply very difficult to draw scientific results without testing scientifically. The stock S65 sees massive variance in use across the normal range of drivers. Then throw in the variables of tuning, different hardware, superchargers, climate, etc. There is a lot going on.

Yup - same name over there. Just haven't been posting much as car is at iND. Target delivery date is Thanksgiving : )

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just haven't been posting much as car is at iND. Target delivery date is Thanksgiving : )
    What are they doing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What are they doing?
    A lot of minor things; and the major things are:

-fitting front euro valance; paint
    -fitting rear euro valance; paint
    -repaint engine cover/panel
    -inspect entire car for any areas of concern
    -clear bra lower rocker panels
    -clear bra any rub points
    -repaint front venting; front pop-up lights
    -new tire on spare...
    -bunch of other little stuff

Nothing mechanical unless they find a problem; car is ready to rock. Just need to re-install AC and refurb or replace wiper motor. Only other issues other than cosmetic restoration/detailing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A lot of minor things; and the major things are:

-fitting front euro valance; paint
    -fitting rear euro valance; paint
    -repaint engine cover/panel
    -inspect entire car for any areas of concern
    -clear bra lower rocker panels
    -clear bra any rub points
    -repaint front venting; front pop-up lights
    -new tire on spare...
    -bunch of other little stuff

Nothing mechanical unless they find a problem; car is ready to rock. Just need to re-install AC and refurb or replace wiper motor. Only other issues other than cosmetic restoration/detailing.
    Very cool, they do excellent work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very cool, they do excellent work.
    Best paint and body work I have ever seen first hand. Very excited.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567