Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

E93 335 project...

Recently enlisted the help of FSR Motorsport Creations to pump up my whp/wtq numbers.

We started Part I development:

FSR SS Downpipes
    FSR SS 4" exhaust
    SP SS 4" boost actuated valve
    Dinan muffler
    Cobb AP/FSR ProTune (91 oct no meth)
    50hp dry shot NANO Nitrous

Stock parts:
    Intake/Filter
    FMIC
    Turbos
    Automatic Transmission
    Heavy 20" wheel and tires (not so stock but heavier than stock)

See build write-up:
    http://fsrmotorsports.com/component/...i-turbo-part-1

Best numbers were 460+ whp/520+wtq

Stay tuned for Part II...

For your Cobb AP/FSR ProTune contact Ian or Alex at Don't forget to mention Richard's E93 335:

FSR Motorsport Creations

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

That exhaust is sick, nice build man Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Richard came to us with one goal: Make his 335i E93 go really fast. We wanted to see how serious Richard was about making his auto very fast because we get a lot of tire kickers around here, but as soon as he opened his trunk and we saw two kits of nitrous we stopped asking questions. The car had a few modifications on it before he brought it to us. So the first thing we did was put it on the dyno and see what it was doing as is. Click to read on and follow the progress on this Bavarian beauty.

Click here to enlarge
    325-330whp Here's what it did with a JB+ pushing it to 21 psi through an upgraded exhaust. Stock intakes/downpipe/intercooler/etc. Remember, this car is an AUTO so power at the wheels will be down 15% or so compared to the same mods on a 6speed! We noticed the tune was very inconsistent and the boost was moving all over. It also was pulling lots of timing for knock correction. This is just not acceptable to us!
    Click here to enlarge
    Here's the car the day Richard dropped it off. Time to get FAST!
    So the first thing we did was essentially start over.
    Click here to enlarge
    Here's the dyno chart for the car on the stock ECU with a Dinan flash. It consistently made295-300whp and the boost curve was smooth and conservative. So the first part we wanted to put on the car was the venerable Cobb Accessport for turbo BMW's. We've been Cobb PROtuners for years now, and use them on a wide variety of cars from BMW, Mazda, GTR's, and of course, many Subaru's on a daily basis. In fact, we are the only BMW Cobb Protuner outside of Cobb themselves, and were the first non Cobb affiliated ProTuner out there! We knew that the Accessport was the way to go because we were going to be able to get into the stock DME and properly tune the car by changing the actual tune; not by attempting to fool the stock ECU with information that is skewed by a piggyback.
    Click here to enlarge

320whp Here's the dyno chart with the Cobb OTS Stage 1 map. Remember, this is through an auto, so we're losing a lot more power to the wheels than if we were running this on a 6sp. That said, the Cobb map was conservative, smooth, torquey and didn't ride the knock correction or push the boost to dangerous levels for a 91 octane high compression turbo motor. Running just 15psi, we were able to bump power significantly over the Dinan tune while still driving like stock, or even better! But this was just the beginning...
    Click here to enlarge
    Richard wanted to start setting the car up for big power, but wanted to do it in steps, which is completely understandable! The goal was to improve the power with parts that we know we can re-use in the future wherever possible when we decide to "go big", which evidently, all of our customers do now or later. :-) We knew exactly where to start: Richard dropped off some inexpensive downpipes (which of course didn't fit well!) and we directed our attention at the muffler shop exhaust, which just wasn't going to cut it. The requirements were to have a system that was quiet to drive around with but had little no no restriction when at WOT, and could support 700+whp! Sounds tough, right? Well go ahead and hit that Easy button, because we've got solutions. Read on!
    Click here to enlarge
    Here are the midpipes "pre-FSR". As you can see, they leave a lot to be desired!
    Click here to enlarge
    Here's the mild steel muffler shop crush bend job. You can see the horrible transitions and when someone with a MIG welder feels spry, they generally get a little trigger happy and start bouncing on the button for the TIG weld "effect". Well it doesn't fool anyone other than maybe Ebay at best!
    Click here to enlarge
    Richard did have a nice set of Dinan mufflers on the back, and we planned on making good use of one. That's right, one of them.
    Click here to enlarge
    Here's the exhaust system off. It can only get better from here!
    Click here to enlarge
    Here are the new downpipes installed. These will really help spool and power. Fitment wasn't the greatest but you're bringing your car to a shop that knows exactly how to sort that kind of issue out!
    Fabrication Begins!
    Here at FSR, everything get's TIG welded on an American made Lincoln TIG welder. We used locally sourced and locally bent stainless steel, as well as locally sourced 6061 aluminum. We believe the quality of your product depends among other things on the quality of parts you put in. We work hard to make our parts work hard for us!
    Click here to enlarge
    Here is the start of our midpipe. We bumped it up to 2.5" SS piping for more capacity and flow. We use ultra smooth CNC mandrel bent tubing.
    Click here to enlarge
    Here's the midpipe coming together. This was time consuming to get perfect but nothing less is acceptable. Notice the level taped onto the pipe, we're serious about this stuff!
    Click here to enlarge
    Here's the midpipe ready to be welded up. Pipe alignment is absolutely critical to making everything flow right, and look right. The dyno and the track let us know everything is flowing right. As far as looks, even though this will be tucked up under the car, it has to look right!
    Click here to enlarge
    Less expensive flanges are certainly available. But these machined stainless flanges weld better and seal better. That kinda stuff is a no brainer but comes only with experience.
    Click here to enlarge
    Here Trey is mocking up the rear section. If you've got a sharp eye you'll see a SP goodie poking out from the bumper... and the stock muffler on the other side!
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Now we're getting somewhere! So the way this works is exhaust consistently flows through the passenger side muffler which is nice and quiet (relatively speaking!). When the driver asks for some power, and boost builds, the cutout automatically opens and allows the 4" custom exhaust to breath deeply and without restriction! You can thank Larry at SP for his innovation! Remember, this is a true 4" setup so it can support massive power while still remaining quiet when you aren't in boost.
    Click here to enlarge
    Here you can see the entire 4" system. We modified the outlet of the Dinan muffler with a SS transition and 4" tip to match the driver's side.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    We hang the exhaust just like OEM: no rattles or squeaks. The braces underneath also bolt back on; though we made a nice black SS spacer to drop it to clear the big 4" pipe and also offer some protection to the underside of the car. You can also see the 3" pipe that sneaks around the diff to feed the Dinan muffler.
    Click here to enlarge
    Here's a view from behind. Imagine, as you start to pull away the car is quiet and exhaust only comes out of the right side. Roll into boost, and a huge rush of power, boost, and exhaust tone come out of the 4" pipe on the left before your foot hits the floor!
    So how about some RESULTS!?
    Click here to enlarge
    What's a bunch of pretty pipe if it doesn't do any good? So back on the dyno it went.
    Click here to enlarge
    373whp, 435ft/lbs through the stock auto! Since we're running the stock intake/intercooler and have just 91 octane here (400whp turbo cars usually make about 35 more whp with 93 compared to 91, to give you an idea) we kept the boost at a conservative 16.5psi peak, tapering off up top. More importantly, look at that powerband! The ProTune along with the 4" exhaust made a tremendous difference on not only peak power and torque but how the power was carried out over the top end. With the Cobb Accessport, we get total control of the powerband and are able to take advantage of the modifications and dial the car in for the particular combination of parts on the car. This is where an FSR ProTune really shines over an off the shelf map! We're able to outperform every other tune running less boost and more timing for a much snappier feel, lower EGT's and a much fatter powerband.
    But we're not done yet
    Click here to enlarge
    How about 453whp and 515ft/lbs through the stock auto! We added a 50 shot to cool down the intake charge and bump power a bit, and the results were astounding when you consider that we're doing that through the stock intakes, intercooler, turbos, and stock AUTO transmission which saps lots of power. 16psi + a fifty shot reveals the octane limitations of pump 91, but with or without, the key, like the key to most cars we work on, is careful and deliberate tuning of the parts that are on the car.
    Click here to enlarge
    So in summation, the car picked up 150whp and 200 ft/lbs with the addition of our custom 4" exhaust with downpipes, a fifty shot, and a Cobb with Protuning.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Sick exhaust! I had the same setup in 3.5", but I was being made fun of in winter with only one tailpipe smoking haha. I was considering running a pipe after the muffler that joins up to the other tip so that it smokes it a bit in too and doesn't look like a dummy tip, but my shop said it would mess with the acoustics... any idea if this would be the case?
    jb4+fbo+meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

woah i love the fact that you can see it open up!

sick

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

would be interesting to see the gains running the same tune with and without the new exhaust.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Show us the nitrous setup while your at it...Trunk and engine bay hardware, switches etc! Love to see what another E93 on nitrous looks like

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I want to use exhaust cutouts to bypass the secondary cat at certain boost levels so I can shoot flames but not smell horrible around town... probably not worth it though...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

that sticker on the read wing = lame

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the comments...

N2O is basic trunk mounted NANO Nitrous Universal 3000 running dry 50hp jetting in hot side FMIC inlet (mainly to cool intake temps). I have a wet nozzle in a BMS elbow which has not been run yet...will be using that one in future.(gonna lower the jetting in dry shot to 25 or 30hp) Have a separate arming switch for both stages which are triggered by paddles...left paddle is dry shot/right paddle is wet shot.(No more shifting with paddles...) All switches are hidden in unused ashtray including purge button...purge is 2 nozzles aimed at the face of FMIC.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Some images of N2O installation...
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Nice! Well done. Nice and clean install.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Very clean NOS install. So much for trunk space huh? That's what's keeping me from installing mine right now. LOL
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

That appears to be a 15 lb bottle. If space was an issue then go with a small 5lb bottle and your good. Might have to refill it more often than the 10 or 15, but if you worried about space then you have no choice. I have 5 lb bottle and all the trunk space I need. Can't believe your not installing your nitrous system after all the talk about it and now your holding off because of space!! Don't get it! Lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I actually have it for sale but if it doesn't sell by the 4th of nov I think I'm putting it in. I have the 5lb bottle but its still pretty big Click here to enlarge
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Dude, congrats on the build! If I had some cash lying around, this would be a good guide to follow!

Upgraded turbos next? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I actually have it for sale but if it doesn't sell by the 4th of nov I think I'm putting it in. I have the 5lb bottle but its still pretty big Click here to enlarge
    lol...If 5 lb bottle is too big then nitrous is probably not for you. To be honest its not going to sell by your date as nitrous is not a mod that the usual person would install on their car. Either way what spooked you off?

To the OP sorry for the off topic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I thought I'd be heading to the strip with my NOS and upgraded turbos setting new WRs. After my last two trips to the strip I've learned that I suck at drag racing and I'll never be breaking any WRs. So then, what's the point of NOS really? I really don't want to spend another $650 on a VBOX just to record some 60-130 times. I've ordered Vargas ST2s and I'll put them on one day. I'm sure that will probably be enough for me, except that I don't like to waste money. So I already have the whole NOS kit, just as well put it on and at least get some dyno numbers huh? I'm pretty good at that, LOL I probably have 12 or more dyno pulls on this car haha.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    lol...If 5 lb bottle is too big then nitrous is probably not for you. To be honest its not going to sell by your date as nitrous is not a mod that the usual person would install on their car. Either way what spooked you off?

To the OP sorry for the off topic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I thought I'd be heading to the strip with my NOS and upgraded turbos setting new WRs. After my last two trips to the strip I've learned that I suck at drag racing and I'll never be breaking any WRs. So then, what's the point of NOS really? I really don't want to spend another $650 on a VBOX just to record some 60-130 times. I've ordered Vargas ST2s and I'll put them on one day. I'm sure that will probably be enough for me, except that I don't like to waste money. So I already have the whole NOS kit, just as well put it on and at least get some dyno numbers huh? I'm pretty good at that, LOL I probably have 12 or more dyno pulls on this car haha.
    With anything else you need DRs at the drag strip to break records and with practice you will have better times..I installed the nitrous on my car for the adrenaline rush. I am not looking to break any WRs of any kind, but pure joy of knowing that I have nitrous at my disposal whenever I want. Looking forward to your Vargas turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMW335E93 Click here to enlarge
    Some images of N2O installation...
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

I was looking at your install and you said that a wet kit was installed and with the E93 platform using the factory fuel line is new to the community of nitrous users...Many of us use meth injection as the added fuel and some have used an external fuel cell to give the nitrous it fueling...Where did you tap into the fuel line to get this fuel...IMO I feel tapping into the fuel line will compromise the pressure to the injectors some how...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow! good stuff.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

there is a short length of line under the car with connections at each end between fuel line from tank and the fuel rail itself...we teed into that line and monitored the pressure at the rail with the nitrous fuel regulator set to 60psi without a significant drop in pressure to the rail...my pressure from lpfp is between 80-90psi...later we may run dual pumps or a dedicated cell w/pump.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    I was looking at your install and you said that a wet kit was installed and with the E93 platform using the factory fuel line is new to the community of nitrous users...Many of us use meth injection as the added fuel and some have used an external fuel cell to give the nitrous it fueling...Where did you tap into the fuel line to get this fuel...IMO I feel tapping into the fuel line will compromise the pressure to the injectors some how...