Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Building Gaming PC

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think the choices are good. Have you considered these guys? http://www.digitalstormonline.com/

I love my Alienware btw.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very nice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Those specs are pretty decent. I built mine last year and it cost me 1,200$ total

i7 2600k liquid cooled OC to 4.7
    560TI SLI EVGA overclocked
    8gb ram
    SSD 120gb
    850w corsair

Planning on upgrading the ram to 16gb and gfx card to the gtx 690 Christmas time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn. I should build one too but I don't know much about comps. I'm good with figuring out machinery, so I could put one together, I guess..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you could replace the power supply with a Corsair or Seasonic (same internal components) 600w or something, slightly cheaper with probably the best reputation

i have 4 HDD's, 2 SSD's, 6950, i7 920 all overclocked.. and it's nowhere near overloading my HX620 (which is almost 5 years old now... still in warranty even)
    I doubt i could add a second graphics card, but still...

ED: building a computer is no more complex than.. i dunno.. setting up a TV

hmmm.. the slot is this long and wide... well that's not going to fit... oh but this slot looks right! oh it fits yay!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    Damn. I should build one too but I don't know much about comps. I'm good with figuring out machinery, so I could put one together, I guess..
    It's not hard at all, honestly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm actually in the market for a new computer, more than likely a powerful laptop.

I was thinking alienware m14 spec'd out. Any other recommendations?
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    I'm actually in the market for a new computer, more than likely a powerful laptop.

check out the other guys Sticky posted i would use them over Alien ware

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Your choice for CPU is pretty poor. That chip supports hyper threading and no video games use it or benefit from it. Also you got the K version and choice of water cooling I suspect you got it cause you're interested in overclocking. The current Ivy Bridge CPU's are not very good at overclocking and Sandy Bridge pretty much spanks the $#@! out of them in that department. Here is a much better choice which would save you some more money and with a good overclock give you better performance all around, with much lower temperatures and a longer life of your cpu.

http://microcenter.com/product/37649...oxed_Processor

Also since the prices of SSD's are falling down I would pick an SSD up for O.S. and then use the 2TB for storage. With the release of the 840 series by Samsung the 830 SSD are diving in price and are still one of the best available ssd's on the market:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=Internal-SSD

Your X-79 chipset motherboard won't actually work with Ivy Bridge since the X-79 is for Sandy Bridge-E CPUS's. I would suggest a Z77 for an Ivy Bridge CPU if you're going to go that way. A Z77 will work fine also with a i7 2700k and the best all around gaming brands would be Asus, ASRock, and Gigabyte. Since I used these 3 I can recommend them.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    Your choice for CPU is pretty poor. That chip supports hyper threading and no video games use it or benefit from it. Also you got the K version and choice of water cooling I suspect you got it cause you're interested in overclocking. The current Ivy Bridge CPU's are not very good at overclocking and Sandy Bridge pretty much spanks the $#@! out of them in that department. Here is a much better choice which would save you some more money and with a good overclock give you better performance all around, with much lower temperatures and a longer life of your cpu.

http://microcenter.com/product/37649...oxed_Processor

Also since the prices of SSD's are falling down I would pick an SSD up for O.S. and then use the 2TB for storage. With the release of the 840 series by Samsung the 830 SSD are diving in price and are still one of the best available ssd's on the market:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=Internal-SSD

Your X-79 chipset motherboard won't actually work with Ivy Bridge since the X-79 is for Sandy Bridge-E CPUS's. I would suggest a Z77 for an Ivy Bridge CPU if you're going to go that way. A Z77 will work fine also with a i7 2700k and the best all around gaming brands would be Asus, ASRock, and Gigabyte. Since I used these 3 I can recommend them.
    I agree. My 2600k overclocked to 4.6GHZ is a monster.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    im going to be in the market for building a PC soon..not gonna be able to do anything after work so getting back to shootem up games will be interested...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge

Buy my M18X and I'll buy myself something new.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blkclk550 Click here to enlarge
    check out the other guys Sticky posted i would use them over Alien ware
    For desktops, not for laptops.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For both

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @sr20seb

on the hyperthreading thing you're incorrect, all ht is is a second ALU per core, in many situations (physics for example) games benefit GREATLY from it, it's the inportant part of every cpu doubled..

also 2500k or 2600k > 2700k if you want to save money

2600k will smash 5ghz on air, 2500k will do 5ghz too if you luck out, 4.8 at the very least

i'd go a 2500k and put the money elsewhere then (better gpu maybe?)

nd dell xps laptops can be cheaper for similar (identical) specs to alienware (same company..)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    @sr20seb

on the hyperthreading thing you're incorrect, all ht is is a second ALU per core, in many situations (physics for example) games benefit GREATLY from it, it's the inportant part of every cpu doubled..

also 2500k or 2600k > 2700k if you want to save money

2600k will smash 5ghz on air, 2500k will do 5ghz too if you luck out, 4.8 at the very least

i'd go a 2500k and put the money elsewhere then (better gpu maybe?)

nd dell xps laptops can be cheaper for similar (identical) specs to alienware (same company..)

Greatly is an overstatement. You will sometimes gain less than 1 fps advantage in most of current games with hyperthreading on. Not something I would consider a GREAT improvement as you. Maybe sometime further down the road developers will optimize the games to take better advantage of the tech, but by then we'll all have new cpu's. So I stand by my earlier statement, not worth the money for such a small improvement.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Greatly is an overstatement. You will sometimes gain less than 1 fps advantage in most of current games with hyperthreading on. Not something I would consider a GREAT improvement as you. Maybe sometime further down the road developers will optimize the games to take better advantage of the tech, but by then we'll all have new cpu's. So I stand by my earlier statement, not worth the money for such a small improvement.

Click here to enlarge
    and how about general windows use? Windows vista and up natively hyperthread

it's the same saying years ago that more than 2 cores didn't help in gaming. Now 4 is the minimum

Some games gained way more than '1fps'

civ5, far cry 2, left 4 dead.. Plus others, huge huge gains.. And even more were 4+, that's statistcal significance at least haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    and how about general windows use? Windows vista and up natively hyperthread

it's the same saying years ago that more than 2 cores didn't help in gaming. Now 4 is the minimum

Some games gained way more than '1fps'

civ5, far cry 2, left 4 dead.. Plus others, huge huge gains.. And even more were 4+, that's statistcal significance at least haha
    Majority of games didn't get way more than 1 fps, no wait I'll use your words here, a huge huge amount of games on that list didn't gain more than 1-4 fps. Such a small amount of that type of an improvement wont matter to the person playing because his eyes wont be able to even catch that. Which again leads me to stand by my original point that I was making. Right now as it is, hyper threading in games is pretty much insignificant.

Not sure why you're mentioning how an OS reacts, we're talking about games here aren't we? You can argue this with me but you wont change my mind. I will say it again so that you're not confused, I'm not saying that hyper threading doesn't offer any advantages in gaming, I am saying that currently they are insignificant. The shortcomings can be easily compensated for by a mild overclock where those 1-4 fps on average will be more than accounted for.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Majority of games didn't get way more than 1 fps, no wait I'll use your words here, a huge huge amount of games on that list didn't gain more than 1-4 fps. Such a small amount of that type of an improvement wont matter to the person playing because his eyes wont be able to even catch that. Which again leads me to stand by my original point that I was making. Right now as it is, hyper threading in games is pretty much insignificant.

Not sure why you're mentioning how an OS reacts, we're talking about games here aren't we? You can argue this with me but you wont change my mind. I will say it again so that you're not confused, I'm not saying that hyper threading doesn't offer any advantages in gaming, I am saying that currently they are insignificant. The shortcomings can be easily compensated for by a mild overclock where those 1-4
    fps on average will be more than accounted fo
    r.
    you didn't consider that HT also benefits from overclocking? the difference can be the same or possibly even greater for those games that had large benefits from HT.

Left 4 Dead 13.13fps, 11.5%
    World in conflict 25fps, 83.3%

Far cry 2
    F1 2010
    H.A.W.X 2
    Civilization 5
    .. all showed Huge gains
    i know games like Supreme commander and Company of Heroes also show excellent gains.

this is an indication that in some aspects you are incorrect, and my first point is correct... physics heavy games as well as RTS (many units on screen at a time, heavy physics in WiC's case) benefit IMMENSELY from hyperthreading

whether or not hyperthreading is worth it is a user by user basis, if you play lots of strategy games... it's worthwhile.. if you play specific games that show gains.. it's worthwhile... if you plan on keeping this computer for a long time, and more games in future will (potentially) benefit from it.. again **maybe** worthwhile in that case, but less so

also

the chart you posted doesn't show the full story, in low fps scoring games MINIMUM is more important than average or maximum..

yes, in general a monitor doesn't do more than 60fps (120fps becoming more common of course), so if it's even a 1fps to minimum gain below 60fps, it's a good, visible gain.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Supreme commander
    Great game... supreme commander 2 is badass.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    That case is pretty dope! Is the power supply on the bottom like most cases these days?
    yup yup yup

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast