Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When do you expect to test this more?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hopefully sometime this week. As I said a lot of plates of the fire currently. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome work Terry, I actually bought one of these pumps early last week to see how much work it would be to fit to my Stage 3 test car. Well now I know it will fit with minor modifications. Thanks for making my life easier...Click here to enlarge Looking forward to seeing if the regulator poses any problems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess I have to pose the question. What becomes of the next bottle neck. Say the pump and fuel pressure reg can supply the fuel. Do we have an idea of the limitations of the stock injectors? I applaud you Terry for developing a better fuel system to accommodate for these singles and vargas twins that are sure to make a nice hit in the market. I'll be watching closely for sure.
    335xi - FBO, Cobb PTF custom 50/50 E85 map
    135i - Stock (for now)
    T/A - Forged ls1, tc78 turbo, Jakes 4l80e, heads, cam, e85 the list goes on.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by willizm Click here to enlarge
    I guess I have to pose the question. What becomes of the next bottle neck. Say the pump and fuel pressure reg can supply the fuel. Do we have an idea of the limitations of the stock injectors? I applaud you Terry for developing a better fuel system to accommodate for these singles and vargas twins that are sure to make a nice hit in the market. I'll be watching closely for sure.
    i think i remember seeing that our stock injectors can handle 3300cc at full load.
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by willizm Click here to enlarge
    as far as i understand the injectors won't be an issue for a long long time

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The system is "returnless" in that there is no external return. There is still a pressure regulator, where other returnless systems simply change fuel pump speed to maintain a stable pressure with no regulator. The pump pushes fuel from the driver's side to the passenger side, where the fuel filter and 5 bar pressure regulator live. The pressure regulator dumps through the "sucking jet pump" or venturi pump that is a passive device that uses fuel flow to push fuel from the passenger side of the tank back to the driver's side. The pressure regulator output is the only line that comes out of the tank, runs to the engine with a LP sender, then into the HPFP.

The only problem I see with this setup is the fuel pump module (EKPS) will complain about the current draw. No biggie, though. The ECU will tell the EKPS how much power to push to the pump to maintain 5bar in the low pressure line. You may get a 2AAF code, as well, if the pump speed doesn't match the requested speed. I guess the EKPS uses the current fluctutations from the commutator to determine how fast the pump is turning.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

I would be surprised if it even measured current. I ran the BAP @ 18v (much more current than OEM) for a few weeks continuously with no faults. From what I can tell the PWM is based partially on a programmed load based table and partly based on the low fuel pressure sensor.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I got faults on an MSV80 running a Bosch 040 pump on a stock EKPS, but it never hurt anything. It complained about the pump pulling 8 amps. Nothing ever set a DME fault or caused a drivability problem.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Was able to get the new pump installed in the car and put maybe 50 miles on it today. Low fuel pressure is sticking to 72psi at higher RPM now. I have a lot more testing to do before I share the data but at the moment I'll just say so far so good. No codes or issues with the low fuel pressure management unit providing the extra current. Best of all the new pump doesn't sound any louder than the OEM to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Excellent!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Was able to get the new pump installed in the car and put maybe 50 miles on it today. Low fuel pressure is sticking to 72psi at higher RPM now. I have a lot more testing to do before I share the data but at the moment I'll just say so far so good. No codes or issues with the low fuel pressure management unit providing the extra current. Best of all the new pump doesn't sound any louder than the OEM to me.
    Seriously dude you rock. Thanks for the step by step. Cuts out any guess work now. I was hoping it might be this easy but didnt have much faith. But am pleasantly surprised.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hope it's as easy at you make it look T. I'm prone to screwing the easiest jobs up LOL
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good stuff Terry.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sweet, I will order one of these up and install..
    My LPFP is not keeping up with 60% E85 (without meth) and I want to run 100% E85 and hoping this pump will do it!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    Sweet, I will order one of these up and install..
    My LPFP is not keeping up with 60% E85 (without meth) and I want to run 100% E85 and hoping this pump will do it!!!
    LMK how it goes. I'm the exact same boat is you except that my pump is struggling even with meth at 60/40 e85/93.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Put more miles on it. It's doing a great job of holding up the low fuel pressure. I still see a bit of a high pressure drop at very high power levels even when low pressure is high. But that might be a tuning thing. Now that the low pressure is holding steady I need to rethink some of the higher HP fueling tuning.

Bad news is my trans seems to have taken a turn for the worse. It's picking up "over speed" codes now, and shakes the entire car randomly when shifting. Last night I had to limp it home full of faults. After clearing it seemed to go back to normal but have not put load on it again today. I'll flush the fluid and see if I can keep it going a little longer. If not I will have to bail on the shift sector race. =/
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    this is such great news!
    Will you be offering a pnp kit ? i suppose installing the pump in the basket will have to be done by the end user .
    did you try running 100% E85?
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am on 60% E85, where I was having massive pressure drops before. No plans to offer a kit as anyone can just buy the pump on eBay for $179 and install it.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry also one word of advice, is to change that sealing O-ring on the tank everytime you have to go in there (large green one)

Used to have issues with re-using those at the dealer, would cause DMTL fault codes and CELs for a tank leak...they are like $2.

One of these days I need to get under the hood of a BMW again and take a look at the fuel lines leading up to the HPFP...see what can be done about that.

So what was the whole issue with running a 255 pump before? Didnt Shiv try that years ago and said it threw massive fault codes or something?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I still see a bit of a high pressure drop at very high power levels even when low pressure is high.
    how much of a pressure drop and how high are very high power levels?

Did you change the fuel pressure table?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I reused the ring but can't hurt to replace it. It actually comes with an OEM pump if you buy one so I have a spare in the garage. One trick I found for getting the ring off the first time is soaking it in WD-40 or similar. I chewed it up pretty good before I figured that out. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    how much of a pressure drop and how high are very high power levels?

Did you change the fuel pressure table?
    Power levels in the 480-490whp range. Same as before on the E60 only testing. On the tuning end I need to collect a bit more data before sharing specifics. But we have been running a higher than stock fuel pressure curve but it now seems the high pressure pump performs better at a closer to stock or maybe even slightly lower than stock pressure curve.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    great stuff Terry.

Out of curiosity what will be the next steps if the tranny doesn't hold up? Level 10 build, just a new AT, or MT swap?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It needs a rebuild. Just have not really looked in to it as I know whatever option I pick means a month or two of down time.
    Burger Motorsports

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast