Close

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Okay, whew, I was pretty positive it was chain drive. If it was belt drive that would be way too easy. Also your fuel would stop completely if a belt snapped. I'd imagine that is bad, same goes for vacuum i.e. brakes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Okay, whew, I was pretty positive it was chain drive. If it was belt drive that would be way too easy. Also your fuel would stop completely if a belt snapped. I'd imagine that is bad, same goes for vacuum i.e. brakes.
    Yep, looked on realoem... my bad. Thought it was strange to be belt driven also, but for some reason this was in my head for years.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hopefully this puts it to rest. Belt driven vac pump and HPFP mounts to the vac pump rear pad. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654820

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Hopefully this puts it to rest. Belt driven vac pump and HPFP mounts to the vac pump rear pad. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654820
    Can you give me the part number for the vacuum pump belt?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Doesn't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not entirely related to this thread. But as a follow up I did some 60-130 testing using the E98, CM14 + dual M3 pre turbo nozzles, with more advance (allowable, anyway), and more boost, and it basically ran the same 60-130. Minor weather and slope changes account for the .1ths.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Read ajm8127's doc and post stating it's chain driven in tandem with the vacuum pump.

This was all covered over a year ago but a guy (not CPE) who was working on a HPFP upgrade (sorry I forgot which forum and can't find the post as yet). He said it was chain driven and that he had an expensive HPFP test stand, yadda, yadda. The concept was he was going to look into doing a different sprocket for the chain drive somewhere to get more turns of the fuel pump per crank rev which should translate into more fuel flow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Doesn't.
    Why not? Its driven through the rear pad of the vac pump and is therefore not electically driven.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/z/q/230.pngThe large sproket here looks like the vac pump.edit: and not on the belt drive http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/s/w/220.png

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    The concept was he was going to look into doing a different sprocket for the chain drive somewhere to get more turns of the fuel pump per crank rev which should translate into more fuel flow.
    It's not a bad idea, but the vac pump and HPFP has to be disassembled and/or beefed up to ensure it can handle those revs. Otherwise the pumping (piston style?) chamber has to be embiggened. I just went through this on another type of engine and that was solution while maintaining bearing integrity/longevity, only because the extra speed they would require to be rotated at would have made it unsuitable for long term use.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Page 24: "The high pressure fuel pump is driven "in-tandem" with the vacuum pump which is driven by the oil pump chain drive assembly."

I can't believe you and Tony have not read these documents.
    Honestly I had no reason to look into the nuts and bolts N54 HPFP and its workings until yesterday, and to be honest I am prob going to leave it to the experts and focus on what we do here and thats turbochargers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's not a bad idea, but the vac pump and HPFP has to be disassembled and/or beefed up to ensure it can handle those revs. Otherwise the pumping (piston style?) chamber has to be embiggened. I just went through this on another type of engine and that was solution while maintaining bearing integrity/longevity, only because the extra speed they would require to be rotated at would have made it unsuitable for long term use.
    Yeah, there's really two problems to solve:

1) the amount of fuel the pump can delivery per engine/pump revolution because the pump is tied to the crank and has a fixed size of fuel it can move likely based on the (3) plunger(s) volume. In theory if we didn't hit an octane limit one could boost to say 25psi at low-mid RPM and try and max out what the pump could deliver. Once established we could then perhaps extrapolate that with RPM to a degree at that might tell us if we needed to up the plunger volume/turn the pump faster to get more fuel.
    2) The point that Tony V found where the fuel entering the pump narrows down to 3/16" could be a max volume problem which is an absolute HP limit regardless of RPM. The ideal solution here is to ream out the hole to a larger diameter if at all possible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    2) The point that Tony V found where the fuel entering the pump narrows down to 3/16" could be a max volume problem which is an absolute HP limit regardless of RPM. The ideal solution here is to ream out the hole to a larger diameter if at all possible.
    this is not necessarily a limitation, using the very limited fluid dynamic knowledge I have. More volume through the HPFP, lower the pressure (per X flow) of the feed side... the LPFP compensates by increasing volume to meet pressure target. Of course the LPFP needs to support more flow due to the added restriction, but there's no cap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Terry@BMS, what fuel pressure do you have set in your fuel pressure table on the flash side when testing E85 with/without meth?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I played around with a lot of values but use OEM values now.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I played around with a lot of values but use OEM values now.
    testing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why not? Its driven through the rear pad of the vac pump and is therefore not electically driven.
    Because it is not belt driven like you stated. It is chain driven. Obviously it isn't electrically driven. The wires to the sensor are not nearly large enough for the load the pump would need to impart and pretty much no other platform uses an electrically driven high pressure pump.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Because it is not belt driven like you stated. It is chain driven. Obviously it isn't electrically driven. The wires to the sensor are not nearly large enough for the load the pump would need to impart and pretty much no other platform uses an electrically driven high pressure pump.
    Yeah, reneged my statement about the belt, but thats not the issue here. IMO, its about opening up the pump to get more flow and not using an undersized pully (or sproket). 2) are you sure thats a sensor wire?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    T,

I'm going to order the pump today.
    Do you recommend the link you provided with the install kit or should we buy just the pump and piece together the recommended fittings & Lines?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd just get the kit, I've seen them on eBay for $180 shipped, and then you can buy the two plastic fittings from McMasters, or use a Brass one like I did. For the fuel injection hose and clamps they have that at Pep Boys.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd just get the kit, I've seen them on eBay for $180 shipped, and then you can buy the two plastic fittings from McMasters, or use a Brass one like I did. For the fuel injection hose and clamps they have that at Pep Boys.
    OK, I've seen a few different size T's mentioned in the thread... What size should we get and is that 5/16 fuel inj hose?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a thread on n54tech that has the part numbers for the fittings. You need maybe 1' of 5/16" and 1' of 1/4" fuel injection hose, and 4 small hose clamps.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a thread on n54tech that has the part numbers for the fittings. You need maybe 1' of 5/16" and 1' of 1/4" fuel injection hose, and 4 small hose clamps.
    OK, I will try and find the thread on N54tech.

Thanks Terry!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Found the part #'s

53055K179 Sanitary White PVDF Sngl-Barbed Tube Fitting Tee for 5/16" Tube ID
    &
    53055K132 Sanitary White PVDF Sngl-Barbed Tube Fitting Reducing Coupling for 5/16" X 1/4" Tube ID

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

$5 for both

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    Found the part #'s

53055K179 Sanitary White PVDF Sngl-Barbed Tube Fitting Tee for 5/16" Tube ID
    &
    53055K132 Sanitary White PVDF Sngl-Barbed Tube Fitting Reducing Coupling for 5/16" X 1/4" Tube ID

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

$5 for both
    I'm hesitant to try this upgrade because I'm a noob. The above fittings and the below pump and install kit is everything I need, correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WALBRO-E85-R...sories&vxp=mtr

Might just take all this to a shop and have them do it =p
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast