Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I believe it is this:

http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/flowrate/
    but on my desktop Java doesn't work properly :-/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Have you measured the ID of the line from the LPFP to the HPFP and the sizecof the inlet on the HPFP side? Do we have sufficient diameter to carry enough fuel volume?
    No, but if we didn't then low fuel pressure at measured at the high pressure pump inlet should drop. And I don't see that drop at least not at these power levels.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Pressure doesn't necessarily need to drop at the low pressure sensor. The pressure itself may just be adequate but the volume of fuel being carried through the line looks to be inadequate for the hp levels we're pushing. Given everything I've read/calculated and given that the OEM fuel line is 1/4" only we're really pushing it in terms of fuel delivery capacity of the line itself. The line should be upgraded to 3/8" without question to know 100% that we're not limited in that respect. Anyone know or have a pic of the inlet on the HPFP and measurements there?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Pressure doesn't necessarily need to drop at the low pressure sensor. The pressure itself may just be adequate but the volume of fuel being carried through the line looks to be inadequate for the hp levels we're pushing. Given everything I've read/calculated and given that the OEM fuel line is 1/4" only we're really pushing it in terms of fuel delivery capacity of the line itself. The line should be upgraded to 3/8" without question to know 100% that we're not limited in that respect. Anyone know or have a pic of the inlet on the HPFP and measurements there?
    Give me 5 on way to fabricators right now to drop off done stuff I have a hpfp on my long block.
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 11-20-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Give me 5 on way to fabricators right now to drop off done stuff I have a hpfp on my long block.d
    Sweet

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Ok, so after inspection the ID of the inlet hole is about an 1/8" in diameter. My opinion is upgrading the fuel lines from LPFP to HPFP isn't going to help much because you are trying to feed all this fuel through an 1/8" hole. I am going to pull this pump and see how the inlet is attached to the pump and I will get back to you guys. Oh and for fun I threw in a pic of the flanges with the inserts welded in. We should have turbos mounted next week.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1/8"? Man that's tiny!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

1/8"? Man that's tiny!
    Yup I was shocked at how small it was to be honest.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Yup I was shocked at how small it was to be honest.
    I can't resist.

That's what she said.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Good info. I need to track down one of my old high pressure pumps. I wonder if we can just replace the inlet fittings, etc, on it.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Good info. I need to track down one of my old high pressure pumps. I wonder if we can just replace the inlet fittings, etc, on it.
    Terry I am gonna yank this one and check it out. I will keep you guys posted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

That's what she said.
    That sucks Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Terry I am gonna yank this one and check it out. I will keep you guys posted.
    Sticky, he left this one wide open for you...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    I set the pins up for him, and he just fell asleep at the wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

any other bmw DI platform use a comparable or compatible larger hpfp?
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

So it looks like that to really, truly upgrade the fueling on this car, you'll need an aftermarket HPFP, LPFP and lines. ...similar to what APR is doing with their Stage 3 turbo kit for the VW/AUDI 2.0 TFSI engine
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    So it looks like that to really, truly upgrade the fueling on this car, you'll need an aftermarket HPFP, LPFP and lines. ...similar to what APR is doing with their Stage 3 turbo kit for the VW/AUDI 2.0 TFSI engine
    Sounds like it except the HPFP part hasn't been confirmed yet in terms of flow at least but in terms of that inlet though it sure doesn't look promising and will most likely need to be opened up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Ok so I have to retract a bit, the ID of the outer opening is about 5mm or 3/16" NOT 1/8" BUT it has a microscreen pressed inside of it which is what I saw when it was on the engine. This is common on fuel fittings to finely strain out anything before it hits the delicate internals of the pump, they are also very restrictive, I thought maybe we had something, pull the screen out, up the line size, and use a nice high flow aeromotive inline filter like every other aftermarket performance platform does. Well when I took a closer look inside the actual hole that the fuel feeds through is even smaller than the screen. So from what I can see is this could certainly be a bottleneck UNLESS this HPFP has a reservoir inside that feeds from the small hole and this reservoir is what feeds the fuel system, but from what I can tell it does not, the way the pump is made you can see the path the fuel travels in and out. SO from doing a half an hour experiment I came to this. The feed into the HPFP is very small and upgrading line size will have little effect because the bottle neck is upstream, SO if we reach the HP point of maxing out the HPFP feed looks like supplemental fueling ALA ProEFI is in order or an upgraded HPFP. I am going to send this one out and see if anyone can do anything with it.. If anyone who has more understanding of HP fuel systems wants to chime in feel free I will not be offended.

Attachment 22476Attachment 22477Attachment 22478

Edit: On a side note I am going to try to take the pump apart tonight and see if I can see a way to open up the inlet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

First question would be can we drill out that hole. Would love to see what the pump looks like cut in half. E.g. the internals.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    First question would be can we drill out that hole. Would love to see what the pump looks like cut in half. E.g. the internals.
    HAHA! Terry we think alike, see my edit I was clicking send on when you posted

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Cool. Well, here's a funny question:

Can we add a 2nd HPFP in parallel so two of them are fed off the low pressure line which the Walbro LPFP can easily supply fuel to given appropriate line is used from the LPFP to the T where it splits off to the pumps?

Just another suggestion along with cutting open the HPFP and seeing if opening up the in/out ports takes care of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Cool. Well, here's a funny question:

Can we add a 2nd HPFP in parallel so two of them are fed off the low pressure line which the Walbro LPFP can easily supply fuel to given appropriate line is used from the LPFP to the T where it splits off to the pumps?

Just another suggestion along with cutting open the HPFP and seeing if opening up the in/out ports takes care of it.
    I dont think this is feasible as the HPFP is bolted to the vacuum pump and they work in tandem. The HPFP is mechanical not electrical.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Just got off the phone with a company that specializes in HPFP's and they are going to call me back and let me know if this is something they want to tackle. I will keep you guys posted. Ok back to work

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    I know it seems like I live at my computer but I do go outside from time to time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    any other bmw DI platform use a comparable or compatible larger hpfp?
    Somebody would have to look into the N63/S63 motors.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast