Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: my plugs...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

@enrita what did you gap those NGKs to? I am going to try them and am planning 0.6mm right now since it would appear I am having issues getting spark around 3,000 with 18psi of boost on the stockers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I'm running the NGK 5992 Spark plugs @ .6mm gap and work great. I'm running 50/50 mix E85/93 and actually switched over from new Oem plugs to the NGK's. Cleaned up some of my timimg corrections some too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

mine were 0.6mm

the car is at the shop and they told there is 0 spark , they checked wiring and seems no signal comes from the ECU...
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    mine were 0.6mm

the car is at the shop and they told there is 0 spark , they checked wiring and seems no signal comes from the ECU...

Dang, sorry to hear it.

I will gap .6 too. I think it isn't igniting properly in the midrange. My timing is pretty perfect though so not expecting anything there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

confirmed its the DME. BMW here said that they already had 3-4 MY07 cars with the same issue resolved with a new DME. 1400 USD to fix. At least now i know and happy is not the engine internals.
    Expensive it is anyway....
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

yeah, $1400 sucks, but a lot less than if something was wrong internally.
    2011 335is DCT, collecting parts....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Good to hear you found the issue. BMW should at least cover part of the $$$ as it's a known hardware issue. Crap!
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

confirmed its the DME. BMW here said that they already had 3-4 MY07 cars with the same issue resolved with a new DME. 1400 USD to fix. At least now i know and happy is not the engine internals.
    Expensive it is anyway....
    I am 99% sure that it's not a microprocessor in the DME, because the behaviour would have been much more erratic if it was. It's probably just a transistor. You can follow the path from the ECU connectors to the final transistors and check them. Transistor replacement shouldn't cost more than 100EUR labor included.

Now it would be very interesting to do a statistic on how many ECU failures have been for cars running piggybacks versus cars running flashes. I suspect that piggybacks add a lot of electrical problems to the ECU. There are ECU outputs that go into the piggybacks and if the input impedance is not matched to the ECU impedance (and thus sucking much more current than the ECU can provide) it can cause unnecessary strain on ECU internal transistors. Given the rate of ECU failures on the forums, I think that this is not just a supposition anymore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    I am 99% sure that it's not a microprocessor in the DME, because the behaviour would have been much more erratic if it was. It's probably just a transistor. You can follow the path from the ECU connectors to the final transistors and check them. Transistor replacement shouldn't cost more than 100EUR labor included.

Now it would be very interesting to do a statistic on how many ECU failures have been for cars running piggybacks versus cars running flashes. I suspect that piggybacks add a lot of electrical problems to the ECU. There are ECU outputs that go into the piggybacks and if the input impedance is not matched to the ECU impedance (and thus sucking much more current than the ECU can provide) it can cause unnecessary strain on ECU internal transistors. Given the rate of ECU failures on the forums, I think that this is not just a supposition anymore.
    i had erratic missfires on cylinder 5. this behaviour got worse and worse as time went till it just died on me.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

I would guess one of the FETs that controls #5 coil is what failed as well. They are extremely sensitive to static discharge so doing something like hooking up a piggyback (as mentioned above) could potentially damage an FET. This damage may not result in immediate failure, but it could cause the part to degrade over time.

This picture posted in another forum

Click here to enlarge
    shows which FETs control the injectors. I am willing to bet the ones along the right hand side all with the little brown cylinders next to them control the coils.

I would imagine the failed DME is no longer in your possession, correct?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I would guess one of the FETs that controls #5 coil is what failed as well. They are extremely sensitive to static discharge so doing something like hooking up a piggyback (as mentioned above) could potentially damage an FET. This damage may not result in immediate failure, but it could cause the part to degrade over time.

This picture posted in another forum

Click here to enlarge
    shows which FETs control the injectors. I am willing to bet the ones along the right hand side all with the little brown cylinders next to them control the coils.

I would imagine the failed DME is no longer in your possession, correct?
    the car is at the shop. dont know if they are forced to send it back to BMW as exchange or not.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Im not going to doubt that there could be some effect on electronics, but Id like to understand the possible cause better. The piggyback is getting its power separate from the DME. Certain signals are intercepted and altered by resistors and maybe other devices. But nothing is routed into the injector or coil circuitry. The failures have been transistors for this equipment (some coils and now an injector). How could a piggy effect these circuits?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't think piggys have something to do with dme failures. I think it is the E85. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    E90 335i 6MT
    JB4 G5
    FBO + Meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I think they are unrelated since this hasn't happened to MSD81 and its known the early N54s had many problems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

do you guys think my DME version vill change with this MSD81 update? Now i have I8AOS.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

the car is at the shop. dont know if they are forced to send it back to BMW as exchange or not.
    Damn, another problem with the N54 engine. It's very annoying with all the issues, injectors, HPFP and other weak components. The desire to make long trips in Europe is severely reduced when you can't trust the engine much more than an old VW type 1 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Try to get the faulty ECU if possible. I can look into it and change coil drivers if they are available. It looks as they are labelled so it should be possible. If so, it is best to replace all 6 since and also look into FET's that with better specs as an alternative.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

do you guys think my DME version vill change with this MSD81 update? Now i have I8AOS.
    Yes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Yes.
    I thought the ECU revision is based on software revisions... A friend of mine has an 08 and so MSD81. He has I8AOS
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I think my DME got shorted this friday... After a hard 1 second acceleration to merge onto the freeway the AC turned off. Tried to turn it on sgsin but it didnt, neither the radio or the hazards. Then a ticking noise sttarted to come from the glovebox.

I pulled over and stop and started the engine a couple of times but nothing changed. The speedo and tach were stuck at 80 Km/h and 2000 rpm. It was impossible to open the trunk and the headlights were on when the car was turned off.

As soon as I dropped it at the dealer the tech told me it was a relevetor or maaaybe the whole car's computer. After 2 days, the dealer have been able to tell me what the problem is.

I have JB4 and meth, a couple of months ago I had to change the fuse from the FSB to the solenoid because it got burnt. Never knew why but didnt looked into it more because nothing else happened.

Probably monday I'll know what it is, hopefully a transistor and not the DME/ECU itself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I also installed the blackline LCI taillights, so I dont know if some water got into it.

Dont know if its related, but I''ve been having problem with timming pulls and a very hard boost fluctuation at half WOT, but the problem didnt happened when at compete WOT. Did you had something like this enrita?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Boosted1 Click here to enlarge
    I also installed the blackline LCI taillights, so I dont know if some water got into it.

Dont know if its related, but I''ve been having problem with timming pulls and a very hard boost fluctuation at half WOT, but the problem didnt happened when at compete WOT. Did you had something like this enrita?
    your issue seems more related to a fuse or another module maybe. My electronics always worked fine .
    i have been having a cronic timing pull from cylinder 2 and some on 5 but its the 5 died suddenly.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    I’m not going to doubt that there could be some effect on electronics, but I’d like to understand the possible cause better. The piggyback is getting its power separate from the DME. Certain signals are intercepted and altered by resistors and maybe other devices. But nothing is routed into the injector or coil circuitry. The failures have been transistors for this equipment (some coils and now an injector). How could a piggy effect these circuits?
    It's not that the piggyback itself affects the FETs. As you handle the connectors that go to the DME, you could discharge built up static electricity from you body to the DME. This could damage the FETs.
    This is a possibility, but certainly not a root cause analysis. The real cause of the failure might never be known.

The only thing I can say is that when you are playing around with your DME or anything electronic, especially devices containing MOSFETs or other metal oxide semiconductor devices, you must be aware static discharge can ruin or irreparably damage those devices so proper precautions should be taken. The easiest way to do this is with static discharge wrist straps connected to the earth ground terminal of any outlet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

got the new DME MSD81 which is now IJE0S instead of I8A0S. Car started straight away running on 6 cylinder. Shop tested the car and was fine.
    However when i was driving the car home i got again missfire cyl 5 driving very slow. i erased it and than i did not come back.
    Was beating the car hard and no missfire on stage 2plus aggr. cobb.
    Everytime i restart the car i get that missfire even on idle once or twice, after clearing than its gone...
    Car runs much better now and its very smooth
    Also my oil consumption is high i see though no smoke at all. Gonna pull out the plug again and see how it looks and swap the coil.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

well seems it was not the DME after all, started the car today and same issue as before... so it was not DME. the new plug is already oily and black. will do comp. test.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast