Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: my plugs...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

my plugs...

Click here to enlarge
    07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina B3 Flash
    Click here to enlarge

2. #ADS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Cylinder 5 is pretty black!
    '10 E92 335i, COBB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

My cyl 5 plug was very black too.... hmmm i know i have a bad injector in cyl6 causing no6 plug to be black and smell like fuel. no5 had no fuel smell. I'm still assuming its an injector.

what are you thinking about your no5 enrita?
    09 e92 335i, 440HP/500TQ: SOLD
    03 EVO 8, 600HP/500TQ: SOLD
    13 Nissan Maxima: Slow
    99 Eclipse GSX: Startup Teaser http://youtu.be/hwBLSSlkKtY

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

They don't look all that bad actually. My #6 plug looked far worse lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I would put a new injector in CYL #5 or you could swap cyl#5 injector with another cylinder and see if the problem follows.. My guess it will

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1488 Post(s)

Bad image, you need to post it without all the stuff after the .jpg

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I would swap or replace coil 5 to begin with and see what happens.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

adding pictures. Well i had lots of missfires cyl 5 so there it is the cause. i actually think something major is going on there. oil leaking in but there is 0 smoke and radiator water is clear.
    Also the car now goes on 5 cylinders constantly, i might have connected the coil wrong so going now to fix it....
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina B3 Flash
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

Well seems the injector 5 is totally dead, i connected INPA and this is the result:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    you can see there is 0 in voltage. Coincidence? It explains why plug 5 is so black. I have the old injectors so can swap it but if its still not working i guess its an issue with the ECU
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Weird, the car was running fine before you pulled the plugs, there was no issue with the car at say idle right?
    PTF TWIN DISK CLUTCH - GROUP BUY

Porsche 997.1/997.2, BMW N54/N55 Performance and Custom COBB Tuning Experts
    Home of the World's Fastest BMW N54s, N55s
    www.protuninggroup.com
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

no absolutely no issues on idle before the plug change. seems the injector just isnt functioning now, maybe the complete removal of electricity just killed it.
    i have my old injectors still, do you think is possible to just connect the connector to the old one without installing it and see if voltage is there ?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Sure try it out

www.protuninggroup.com
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

but if misfire occur the ecu cuts fuel so maybe thats why the injector is on 0 volt...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

injector works fine before it cuts off because of misfire. i tried everything with no luck, maybe my ecu is shot and not giving any power on cylinder 5. The spark plug did not fire once .
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

how likely is it the ecu though, and not some other small issue?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Did you maybe damage or loosen the injector power wire?

www.protuninggroup.com
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

i have checked and rechecked all cables like 10 times even to the ECU (removed jb4 as well and checked all pins) . i have removed the cylinder 1 coil connector to see if the same error would pop up and yes cyl 1 and cyl 2 P2E1C spark duration too short so there is no electricity getting to the coil so either the connector/wiring or the ecu.
    Any idea how to test electricity coming to the coil connector? i could buy an electrical tester tomorrow and see if there is actually electricy getting there but have no clue how to set it up....
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm probably a little confused in the timeline of events, but seems like you could be over thinking everything. How about installing new injector (used is fine), new plug, and swapping coils with a good cyl, clearing codes and recheck idle, low load first.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

You usually get a Dme related code if the ECU was the culprit. I'd focus on the easier areas first as Joshboody mentioned
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction
    [
    01/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Cobb S2+ PTF-protune | Stett CAI | ETS 5" FMIC | AR DP | AE Exhaust - Gone

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Why don't you swap the #5 coil with a different one and see if the issue moves?

I am getting #5 misfires with heavy E85 mixes and my trims are way too high even when running straight 91. I am going to pull my plugs on Monday... Wonder if I will see black on #5...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

i have already changed plugs and swapped coils, even put a new oem coil , put back old plug, new oem plug swapped cyl 1 coil and plug etc. i have a used injector with new oring so that would be next but inpa says its spraying and working . There is 0 combustion on cylinder 5 , the new plug does not show anything while the other new plugs on other cylinders are showing combustion.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Interesting. I am getting this cylinder 5 BS recently. I switched to JB4 ISO, but I am not sure that is the problem. I run 50-50 E85 normally, after the misfires on #5 happened I backed down to 100% 91. Surprising to me after a map reset I still learn up to 17.5psi (my boost limit) and trim in the 30-40 range (JB4 scaling where 50 is trimmed out). Either the CA gas crisis caused them to dump a $#@! load of E85 into the 91 or something is very wrong (injector not spraying appropriately???). I am getting this #5 misfire at WOT below 4,000 rpm. Pulling plugs tomorrow.

You might want to check this out:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734162

Also, someone else on E90 was getting #5 misfires but had a black #1 plug. Seems strange everyone gets #5 misfire first...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

My car would misfire with new plugs,(Guessing leaky injector) i went back to my old plugs; misfires went away, and a 1-2K miles later now, my #5 injector completely gave out on a cold, cold start and is now stuck open..

This car can be very picky on what it wants.. I would throw a new injector with new decoupling element in there and get it coded, since you have new plugs and a new coil there.. A new coil would be the last piece of the puzzle.

BTW if i missed this, why dont you try running OEM plugs?
    And also, why is the back of your coils red? Maybe try going oem on the plugs and coils?

Also here are my plugs at about 24K miles of being tuned and FBO:
    1 through 5
    Click here to enlarge

And here is how the #5 plug looked after my injector took a dump, as you can see its still wet. Just for reference.
    Click here to enlarge
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

my coils are OKADA and yes i have already tried an OEM coil and now all plugs are oem. The only thing i have not tested is to change injector.
    my question is can an injector just get bad all of sudden just like that (its like 1-2 years old max) . Would INPA still show voltage and that is injecting? I have an old injector with the new oring so might try swapping it out tonight.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Definitely need to swap the injector...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast