Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

stock vs. RB vs. single dyno comparison

A couple interesting charts to check out.

The first is maxed out OEM turbos compared with RBs. Both done on the same car a few months apart.

The second is RBs compared with a single turbo running higher octane and meth. It's an interesting comparison with the single as both cars are automatic so you get an apples to apples feeling for the power curves.

The single turbo clearly has the edge from 5700-6500rpm but for all around street car use does that gain make up what is lost below 4000rpm? In terms of racing I'd love to see what the 335 auto single runs 60-130. Is it going to be in the 6s or are we looking more like low 7s? Our 135 is around 140# lighter, but makes maybe an average of 35whp less from 5700rpm+ to redline, so I'm curious just how far behind it would wind up. Hopefully I can get some 60-130 testing on ours done this weekend.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I think this shall be front paged. Good stuff Terry.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Wait maybe i'm missed something but why aren't you comparing it to the higher single turbo numbers (654whp)?
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

oh just because it's an auto? I don't think I will ever in my life understand why someone would want to mod an automatic car when a manual version is available.
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    oh just because it's an auto? I don't think I will ever in my life understand why someone would want to mod an automatic car when a manual version is available.
    Because the Auto is faster, more consistent, and better for drag racing?

Manuals are fun and all but there are better performance options these days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    ... and extremely boring to drive. I guess if you live your life 1/4 mile at a time and don't care about how fun it is to drive the car it makes sense. I'll still never understand. but that's just me
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)

Many of us drive and love the automatics. Click here to enlarge

With the manual they are extending the RPM range up to 7200rpm which provides further gains while the RBs max out around 6500rpm on manual cars, so in that regard it's not much of a comparison for manual owners. Although, they still suffer from the lower RPM torque loss with the single. The few who have them claim it's a worthwhile trade off for the top end power. Fair enough. But I like my low end torque and like automatics. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

to each there own i guess, i seriously just can't wrap my head around it. I commute 70 miles or so round trip to work every day and sit in a ton of traffic, yet never once has getting an auto even remotely crossed my mind. oh well
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I overlaid them as evenly as I could. Question: does that single have 4 meth nozzles? So the 58 "only" maxes at 560whp?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

There will be some good videos from that shift sector event in november. Multiple single turbo guys will be there so some actual real life comparisons will be made
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

... and extremely boring to drive. I guess if you live your life 1/4 mile at a time and don't care about how fun it is to drive the car it makes sense. I'll still never understand. but that's just me
    Yep, it's you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Many of us drive and love the automatics. Click here to enlarge

With the manual they are extending the RPM range up to 7200rpm which provides further gains while the RBs max out around 6500rpm on manual cars, so in that regard it's not much of a comparison for manual owners. Although, they still suffer from the lower RPM torque loss with the single. The few who have them claim it's a worthwhile trade off for the top end power. Fair enough. But I like my low end torque and like automatics. Click here to enlarge
    So every graph there is the automatic including stock turbo correct?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

+1000 jpsimon.

I would love to see Terry against a few singles at that event.
    I'll bet he will lose, but it will be fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Unfortunately, at that event, the race is skewed towards the power curve of the single.
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

@Terry@BMS

What would you suggest for a transmission upgrade for the automatics?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Hopefully I can get some 60-130 testing on ours done this weekend.
    Good data, hope to see what you get from that 60-130...6sec or bust! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

to each there own i guess, i seriously just can't wrap my head around it. I commute 70 miles or so round trip to work every day and sit in a ton of traffic, yet never once has getting an auto even remotely crossed my mind. oh well
    My commute is the same with half highway and the other half stop & go.. I sold my manual Supercharged E92 M3 coupe to get my E92 335xi coupe auto with paddle shifters simply because of the PITA it was with the manual.. I never thought I would enjoy an Auto but after driving a few DCT M3's both NA and boosted I was sold. Understand I do not have the DCT in my XI although I wish BMW would add the option to the XI model, I do like my FBO 335xi with m-sport package as a daily driver and I can smoke my M3 in the 1/8mile and slap on some snows for the winter Click here to enlarge Best of both worlds IMHO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

terry you dont need a headlight to do a 60-130 !!! lol

do one tonight...

hopefully the headlights get there sooner than later and the parts on them actually solve your issue.. if you have motor issues you can always get that coded out as its really not ness to have your bulbs turn with the wheel so you look cool lol...

I think fedex said they should get there saturday at the latest though so hopefully by Sunday we get some results.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge

do one tonight...

hopefully the headlights get there sooner than later and the parts on them actually solve your issue.. if you have motor issues you can always get that coded out as its really not ness to have your bulbs turn with the wheel so you look cool lol...
    hahaha
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    Unfortunately, at that event, the race is skewed towards the power curve of the single.
    Very valid point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    I sold my manual Supercharged E92 M3 coupe to get my E92 335xi coupe auto with paddle shifters simply because of the PITA it was with the manual..
    This is crazy talk.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This is crazy talk.
    It does sound like crazy talk lol...
    It wasnt the main reason I sold it, I have another BMW M car in the stable and wanted to try the twin turbo platform out.. I do love the TQ and traction of the 335xi.. My ESS VT2-600 was an awesome highway car though!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    It does sound like crazy talk lol...
    It wasnt the main reason I sold it, I have another BMW M car in the stable and wanted to try the twin turbo platform out.. I do love the TQ and traction of the 335xi.. My ESS VT2-600 was an awesome highway car though!!!
    if you loved the TQ wait until you tune it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)

Yes during a 50-150mph race the RBs are at a disadvantage as that type of a race favors the higher RPM power curve. But I'm looking forward to racing their automatics anyway! But loosing in a 50-150mph rolling airport runway race doesn't mean the single will run quicker 1/4 mile times... Maybe they will let us do some runs from a dig like they did at the last event. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 10-12-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge

do one tonight...

I think fedex said they should get there saturday at the latest though so hopefully by Sunday we get some results.
    I think my private track is open Sunday so we'll see if weather and family cooperate. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast