Click here to enlarge

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mike,

I made my own Stage 8 head to rev 9200 rpm.

Ported to the limits, just hitting water channelsClick here to enlarge
    E36 M3 Euro TT 60-130 mph 4.49 s
    E46 M3 3.6L TT 60-130 mph 4.22 s
    All Wheel drive M3 Twin Turbo
    997 TT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Subscribed! Porting for N/A and F/I applications requires different approaches...N/A motors are more sensative to changes in velocity, and intake-to-exhaust ratios (port volume/shape becomes more critical); whereas, F/I power adders create extreme velocities so port volume/shape is a little less critical. Cam selection also determines cylinder head flow to a degree as well...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stosh1 Click here to enlarge
    Subscribed! Porting for N/A and F/I applications requires different approaches...N/A motors are more sensative to changes in velocity, and intake-to-exhaust ratios (port volume/shape becomes more critical); whereas, F/I power adders create extreme velocities so port volume/shape is a little less critical. Cam selection also determines cylinder head flow to a degree as well...
    Agreed.

Let's see what VAC has to say @Mike@VAC

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yummy yummy. We definitely need more information ASAP!
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Very nice. Please post some specifics!

My ma and pa shop S54 cylinder head build ( stage - who cares!) is underway as well. Utilizing VACs stainless valve set, valve keepers and schrick 288/280 cams with schrick followers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I got stage 25 head. My water passages flow coolant right into the port...less air resistance yo....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Haha, I missed this one!

Our Stage 3 heads have been VERY popular lately. About 2 years ago we hired a new machinist/flow expert who is an absolute badass with BMW heads. Since we have this shop build going together, I challenged him to take it to the next level. We will see what he comes up with when it's all done. Depending on results, it will be an honest Stage 4, or just a better Stage 3. :-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge

My ma and pa shop S54 cylinder head build ( stage - who cares!) is underway as well. Utilizing VACs stainless valve set, valve keepers and schrick 288/280 cams with schrick followers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
    Haha, I missed this one!

Our Stage 3 heads have been VERY popular lately. About 2 years ago we hired a new machinist/flow expert who is an absolute badass with BMW heads. Since we have this shop build going together, I challenged him to take it to the next level.
    Is that Steve B? If so I think you referred my tech inquiry regarding the S54 head to him. I had him select the parts for my redneck revival of the S54 topend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge

Did you end up going w/my peeps or someone local???

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you end up going w/my peeps or someone local???
    I went with a local guy. Not much to work with on the port-side, so we are going with a 5 angle valve job, and some polish work. The only difference with yours is my spare ITBs are untouched, and we will be going with the Shcrick DLC followers over new OE followers. Cams are identical to yours. The valves are OE size but 1 piece VAC units.

We need to chat again later this winter Stan before I pull the head and take the plunge!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gotcha, sounds good, looking forward to your future build thread! Hit me up whenever brother!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I love things like this. But almost nobody I know in FI actually uses these heads do they? They are just to darn expensive for the returns that you get from them. That is the impression I got. Is that true or false? I dont want to start anything. I am just saying that is my IMPRESSION. I am all ears and open minded. Replies?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bdave Click here to enlarge
    I love things like this. But almost nobody I know in FI actually uses these heads do they? They are just to darn expensive for the returns that you get from them. That is the impression I got. Is that true or false? I dont want to start anything. I am just saying that is my IMPRESSION. I am all ears and open minded. Replies?
    All heads can be improved but the S54 heads are just very good from the factory so you don't see forced induction guys looking at them. In NA applications every last horse counts so the head is a place that gets attention on race builds or those going for ultimate NA S54's.

Improving the S54 heads isn't cheap and you won't get massive gains. That said, they can be improved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    'Expensive' is a relative term when looking at goals and individual budgets on a global scale. We get the results the clients are looking for, so they see it as a worthwhile expenditure. (both n/a and f/i clients) For an FI engine, head work is pretty low on the 'bang for the buck' scale Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I love things like this. But almost nobody I know in FI actually uses these heads do they? They are just to darn expensive for the returns that you get from them.
    Compression of the intake charge. Remember you have boost. It should be rather simple why the head work is not a "bang-for-buck" mod with a force-fed motor. Naturally aspirated head work is a completely different ball game and an apples to testicles comparison. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by MisterEm; 10-16-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess I was just stating the obvious. I forget the fairly high level of smarts on this forum. Mostly Click here to enlarge

Yes, for NA. I bet the Stage 4 would rock with the right set of cams! I did not mean to disparage an obviously quality product.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Still a valid question Bdave! There are gains to be made with playing with a boosted head, however you need to be careful to mind the velocity, and turbulence as well as port size/volume.

With a head that is CNC cut from the factory, ala the S54 , there is a fine line between a performance increase and hindrance with head work.
    Last edited by MisterEm; 10-17-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: fat thumb

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Just to reiterate again, what I said earlier, and to add to MisterEm's post(s)...Porting for NA applications typically requires smaller port sizes (volumes) vs. FI-which you almost can't go too big on. (When I say FI, I mean turbo's, because porting for S/C applications is actually a bit more similar to NA stuff.)

Anyway, there are kinda' two different schools of thought out there for porting FI heads, one school says hog out the exhaust side to make up for the air being forced in on the intake side...and the other school says no-no, you still need to maintain high velocity in the exhaust port to maintain spool, and to hog out the intake side to help all of that extra air get into the motor.

I say they both can be right, and it all depends on a bunch of different factors and you can't say one formula applys to all! You have to account for the I/E ratio of the port in unmodified form first, the size (A/R ratio of the turbo), camshaft specs, engine displacement, etc. Once all of these factors are known and you have a HP goal in my mind, then you can set about figuring how much material to remove from which ports. Of course valve sizes and the bowl area need to be taken into consideration as well...

So, bottom line, they're many factors that determine how to port a cylinder head. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I've been around for a minute or two, and I've had the pleasure of being able to hang out w/some folks that are much smarter than me.Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When I say FI, I mean turbo's, because porting for S/C applications is actually a bit more similar to NA stuff.)
    Why?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why?
    For a turbo you want to match exhaust port velocity to the turbine housing being used.

Honda recently built a racing engine where the exhaust manifold was cast as part of the cylinder head...the turbo literally bolted onto the head....

For a SC, it doesn't matter as much...usually you just go with something "big".
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    For a turbo you want to match exhaust port velocity to the turbine housing being used.
    Right, you have to consider how turbo engines make power, they are a different animal than either an NA or SC'd engine. They still respond to a properly ported head(s), but the requirements are different, because they rely on a proper ratio/amount of exhaust flow to make power...and that varies according to things like turbo size, rpm range, cam selection, etc... They're a crap ton of variables involved, but basically, a properly ported head for a turbo application will make more power at a given boost level vs. an unported head (i.e., it will make more power with lower boost levels, which also results in less heat.).