Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

N54 headbolt issue?

Your check engine light pops on one day while driving. You have the codes ran at the dealer, local shop, part store. You are told you have a 2A82 Vanos Intake, 2A87 Vanos Exhaust faults. Sounds like gibberish doesn’t it? These two faults can cause your BMW to run poorly. They can cause rough starts, rough idles, and run down on power. BMW has released a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for these faults. A TSB is not a recall, but a recommend repair on a known issue.
    Some shops will tell you right away that both Vanos units must be replaced! This is not the case!! The first step we do is pull both units out and clean them from oil sludge. Most of the time this should take care of your Check Engine Light.

http://europeanautogarageblog.wordpr...adbolt-issues/

Ive never seen it before, but apparantly some techs have

What are theese N54 guys using for head studs? Magnesium block has aluminum head bolts that ive seen break for no reason in stock form. What material stud are they using? I hate N54 motors what a pos! I just recently had one sheer a valvtronic motor shaft. Then the new pos straight from bmw was bad too. Took 2 motors to get a good quiet one.
    Ive seen the broken head bolts twice. They are aluminum. Next time you n54 guys
    have your hood up stick a magnet to one. I dont know the first thing about hot
    rodding them but have been trained on thier engines. And must say the E46 was
    alot beter car. Its wild how the use valve lift to accelerate and not the
    throttle body. I was curious what theyuse for head studs because the factorys
    reason for using aluminum head bolts is because steel would corrode. So im
    curious as to how a possible aluminum stud would hold up to boost
    Lol, keep in mind theres a reason why i work on theese cars
    but chose to drive gm lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Wow, those guys are horribly misinformed.

The aluminum bolts are only for the head to timing cover area - three bolts, one visible from outside the engine, two at the front under the VANOS area. And those are for N52 - non turbo cars only. The head bolts are still steel. I have heard that some of the newest engines have aluminum head bolts, but I'll believe that when I see it. The three bolts in question have been known to break, but they are not head bolts. It sucks, and we've replaced several sets of those bolts on N52 engines, but it's not an everyday occurrence. They have to use aluminum bolts because steel bolts will corrode the magnesium block casing. Anywhere you have an aluminum bolt on the N54, you can safely replace it with a steel bolt, but not so on the N52.

Also, we all know the N54 doesn't have Valvetronic, nor does it have a magnesium block. That's N52 territory. Valvetronic motor failures are not that common, either. My shop isn't being flooded with those problems. We've fixed 10x more E46s with cracked rear subframes (specifically, the very thin steel BMW decided was OK to make the chassis points where the subframe mounts) than all the N52+N54 problems combined. Broken S54 VANOS units, broken S54 exhaust cam sprockets, etc. No car is perfectly reliable, but they are blowing this out of proportion.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

good info. like i said, i never heard of it before

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yeah, it's just a little, how do you say, exaggerated. It's not like BMW put out a notice that we can't drive our new M5s and M6s anymore due to some major defect that could damage/destroy the motor. Oh wait...
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Always an appreciated wealth of knowledge James. Thanks!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 Click here to enlarge

The aluminum bolts are only for the head to timing cover area - three bolts, one visible from outside the engine, two at the front under the VANOS area. And those are for N52 - non turbo cars only. The head bolts are still steel. I have heard that some of the newest engines have aluminum head bolts, but I'll believe that when I see it. The three bolts in question have been known to break, but they are not head bolts. It sucks, and we've replaced several sets of those bolts on N52 engines, but it's not an everyday occurrence. They have to use aluminum bolts because steel bolts will corrode the magnesium block casing. Anywhere you have an aluminum bolt on the N54, you can safely replace it with a steel bolt, but not so on the N52.

Also, we all know the N54 doesn't have Valvetronic, nor does it have a magnesium block. That's N52 territory. Valvetronic motor failures are not that common, either. My shop isn't being flooded with those problems. We've fixed 10x more E46s with cracked rear subframes (specifically, the very thin steel BMW decided was OK to make the chassis points where the subframe mounts) than all the N52+N54 problems combined. Broken S54 VANOS units, broken S54 exhaust cam sprockets, etc. No car is perfectly reliable, but they are blowing this out of proportion.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 Click here to enlarge

This is true...seeing problem cars at the dealer makes you never want to own that brand..but when you think about how many cars are sold and are running around with no issues, its really a drop in the bucket.