Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

G5 ISO RB Dyno Testing

Hey guys,

Was able to sneak over to the dyno today for a little test and tune with the new setup. The car is our 2008 automatic 135i with the following mods:

JB4 G5 ISO
    Map 3 w/ 80 additive
    RB Turbos
    BMS Downpipes
    BMS DCI
    BMS 2.2g meth kit w/ CM14 nozzle, running straight ethanol
    BMS flash
    BT Intercooler
    CPE chargepipe w/ Tial valve
    OEM catback
    Fuel: 50% E98, 50% 91 octane

The main objective was to evaluate the new ISO boost control scheme along with some VANOS changes I've been toying with in the flash. Overall, the car performed very well. The new control scheme (using _9 version) worked perfectly out of the box with no tuning changes needed on the dyno. The VANOS changes on the other hand were a bit mixed. I don't want to go in to extensive details on what we're doing there but it's similar to what Cobb does on their S2+ tuning, and it resulted in average gains of 4-5whp at higher RPM along with improved timing stability. I suppose at this level a few free HP never hurts. Click here to enlarge

Attached are two dyno runs using the OEM VANOS tuning and one using our new logic.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 10-09-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Dammit, I can't see the dyno on my stupid work computer Click here to enlarge
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

just 20psi? weak sauce Click here to enlarge

good numbers!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    just 20psi? weak sauce Click here to enlarge

good numbers!
    lol I have a couple races coming up and wanted something a bit on the conservative side for it. And on the low end the trans just can't take any more torque. But I know it has another 10-15whp in there any time I want to go grab it. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Great numbers T! Def looks like there is more left in the tank though. I don't have to worry about the AT (I'm MT) so we'll extract those last few HP out of mine Click here to enlarge
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Great numbers Terry!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Finally! good to see some RBs back in action Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

80 additive? Thought it goes 75 max

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

buen trabajo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    80 additive? Thought it goes 75 max
    Nope it goes up to 80. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

i need me a nice turbo/clutch setup sooooon Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Here is a nice dyno showing OEM turbos maxed out vs the RBs. 80+whp gains for ~$3k isn't bad. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Here is a nice dyno showing OEM turbos maxed out vs the RBs. 80+whp gains for ~$3k isn't bad. Click here to enlarge

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...c1d13498-1.jpg
    ...and down low there's more torque but you're not pushing 20psi to show even larger torque gains down low

Mind rescaling the JB log 0-20?

BTW, between OEM vanos setup and OTS Cobb setup there are about 20-25whp gains in midrange, not much at the top but it does keep it cleaner due to reducing overlap and exhaust gas reversion
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    ...and down low there's more torque but you're not pushing 20psi to show even larger torque gains down low

Mind rescaling the JB log 0-20?

BTW, between OEM vanos setup and OTS Cobb setup there are about 20-25whp gains in midrange, not much at the top but it does keep it cleaner due to reducing overlap and exhaust gas reversion
    There is plenty more torque to be had on RBs but the trans is on its last leg as is. I found apples to apples the Cobb style VANOS mapping makes a bit less low end torque and a bit more up top.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

There is plenty more torque to be had on RBs but the trans is on its last leg as is. I found apples to apples the Cobb style VANOS mapping makes a bit less low end torque and a bit more up top.
    No no, I understand the transmission issue on the car. This should be good for a 6s 60-130 and 10s in a fully race prepped and gutted 1 series 6AT Click here to enlarge do it!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Weird, your boost is all over the place. You've seen my logs, they peg the target near 100% each and every time. Odd.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Weird, your boost is all over the place. You've seen my logs, they peg the target near 100% each and every time. Odd.
    Boost is perfect here. The only change I would make would be to bump up the FF in the VANOS area a touch where VE changes. But since the dyno results looked smooth I didn't want to waste dyno time doing PID tuning.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

lol I have a couple races coming up and wanted something a bit on the conservative side for it. And on the low end the trans just can't take any more torque. But I know it has another 10-15whp in there any time I want to go grab it. Click here to enlarge
    That would amount to 535whp with manual transmission with lower transmission losses. Awesome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Boost is perfect here. The only change I would make would be to bump up the FF in the VANOS area a touch where VE changes. But since the dyno results looked smooth I didn't want to waste dyno time doing PID tuning.

I was looking at that boost hump between 5200-5500 rpm where you were under targeting.

Can we make an adjustment to the FF to run closer to target?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Nice numbers!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

I was looking at that boost hump between 5200-5500 rpm where you were under targeting.

Can we make an adjustment to the FF to run closer to target?
    You mean 4200-5000rpm? Yes, we'll revise the FF mapping at higher boost targets to pull that closer to target. Dynojet runs are short so you don't get the same level of integration (incremental PWM movement) you'd get on the road doing longer runs. Dyno tuning is more dependent on FF for hitting target. That whole 4200-4600rpm area needs a little more FF at these 18psi+ targets.

Here is the same log with PWM and FF on it. You'll see FF is below PWM thus indicating more adaption is needed. Ideally in a perfectly adapted setup PWM and FF will be fairly close to each other. But beyond that I need to program a little sharper slope on FF in that VANOS area.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 10-09-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

You mean 4200-5000rpm? Yes, we'll revise the FF mapping at higher boost targets to pull that closer to target. Dynojet runs are short so you don't get the same level of integration (incremental PWM movement) you'd get on the road doing longer runs. Dyno tuning is more dependent on FF for hitting target. That whole 4200-4600rpm area needs a little more FF at these 18psi+ targets.

Here is the same log with PWM and FF on it. You'll see FF is below PWM thus indicating more adaption is needed. Ideally in a perfectly adapted setup PWM and FF will be fairly close to each other. But beyond that I need to program a little sharper slope on FF in that VANOS area.
    I surmise my tight set of RBs were perfectly set for the default FF then in my case. Good info, thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

FF is adaptive and will scale up and down from 0-150. Generally with RBs I'm seeing around 60 and stock turbos generally see around 100. But, there is much car to car variance and in addition the actual number will change based on mapping and weather. So it isn't overly relevant. What matters is that it adapts to your setup so when you go to get on boost the JB4 can "guess" the duty cycle required with minimal (slower) PID adjustment.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...c1d13498-1.jpg

$#@!.. this is why stg 1ish upgrades to me are worth little to nothing, unless you plan on unloading the car soon. If your gonna have the car for longer than a year, and need turbo's, RBs are where its at..If you like boost that is

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    $#@!.. this is why stg 1ish upgrades to me are worth little to nothing, unless you plan on unloading the car soon. If your gonna have the car for longer than a year, and need turbo's, RBs are where its at..If you like boost that is
    Without getting involved in a vendor squabble I personally am very skeptical a compressor only upgrade can add any power. I've seen several lose power over stock. Maybe if the turbine is also clipped there is a few HP in there? I just remain skeptical to it until solid dyno tests show otherwise. The RBs on the other hand are a proven commodity. I love mine. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 10-09-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast