Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Anybody using Megasquirt?

Has anyone tuned their I6 BMW (older gen motor) with a megasquirt standalone? They are a great solution with lots of potential. I have experience with them mainly on V8s, but no I6s.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    Its your mom son
    Thanks for reminding me. Isn't it great that our family is so close? Our relationship is perfectly tuned.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    Yes I know I love you too. Not in that party in the pants kinda way but in the way that someone cant live without another person way. you know that way
    Actually, I don't know.

I do know that Megasquirt is a great standalone engine control unit though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Actually, I don't know.

I do know that Megasquirt is a great standalone engine control unit though.
    The only post related to the subject, Sticky can you please clean this $#@! up. Thanks.

Back on topic.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, too little sleep + too much coffee = weird OT posts.

Anyway, I have been reading on it and I don't see any reason why it couldn't be used. Would work great for boosted cars because of the MAP sensor. (manufactured by Motorola, kinda cool)

Looks like it might help to be familiar with coding. What engine are you planning on building, DBFIU?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A friend of mine had a smt6 setup on his car, and I think he still has everything including a tune/kit for an m50 motor.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looking to build an M50 or M52 with boost for a good 500 whp in an E30 chassis.

I dont need any bells and whistles, just a dead reliable powerful car. I tuned my mustang on MS2 and now they have the MS3 which I find a little overkill.

For instance, has anyone tuned the I6 using the megasquirt sequential system or batch injection mode? I have questions about this. I also don't intend to touch Vanos with the MS although I am pretty sure it can handle that as MS has a $#@! ton of output capability.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for reminding me. Isn't it great that our family is so close? Our relationship is perfectly tuned.
    Click here to enlarge

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    The only post related to the subject, Sticky can you please clean this $#@! up. Thanks.

Back on topic.
    Yep, cleaned up, but had to leave the money shot as it was too good.

A bunch of the S14 guys use the megasquirt system and have good results it seems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yep, cleaned up, but had to leave the money shot as it was too good.

A bunch of the S14 guys use the megasquirt system and have good results it seems.
    Money shot is fine with me.

S14 is a 4 banger right?

Question, do M52s have mechanical or electrical spark distribution? Are they coil on plug or single coil?

Im still a newb to M50s.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Watch for timing drift before you start asking the engine to make significant power. I have not used this ECU, but I have heard (may be able to request supporting data) that ignition timing drifts a few degrees.
    Dan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GTR-Dad Click here to enlarge
    Watch for timing drift before you start asking the engine to make significant power. I have not used this ECU, but I have heard (may be able to request supporting data) that ignition timing drifts a few degrees.
    Dan
    You are saying this ECU/Software causes the timing to wander, or the M50 series of engines are prone to unstable timing? Are you talking drifting + or - degrees from what it is supposed to be at that throttle position/rpm?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You are saying this ECU/Software causes the timing to wander, or the M50 series of engines are prone to unstable timing? Are you talking drifting + or - degrees from what it is supposed to be at that throttle position/rpm?
    Good question, I have not experienced such drift though. Could be that higher revs have something to do with it, but the megasquirt has always been known for being very reliable, at least with domestics.

I know there are people making 1000+ whp with megasquirts. Not sure what that entails regarding timing drift or how common it is or what causes it.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Money shot is fine with me.

S14 is a 4 banger right?

Question, do M52s have mechanical or electrical spark distribution? Are they coil on plug or single coil?

Im still a newb to M50s.
    Yes, S14 is a 4 banger.

I'm a noob to M50's as well so hopefully someone else tackles the spark question.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here is some info I found, but the poster deals in other ECU's so take it with a grain of salt:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Tech
    Its absolutely possible to run a turbo car with a Megasquirt, but I see shortcomings in that approach. If you're going to spend money on a turbo system and time building it, then you may want to consider having a more modern control system for it. The reason are for safety and efficiency as much as performance. The stock harness and sensor setup is very limited. A plug & play S14 system has very marginal benefits over the stock ECU and commonly available reflashes. Don't underestimate the value of electronic boost control for faster boost response and the ability to charge boost targets for changing conditions. Turbo cars are by nature more on edge and you want a system that can trim fuel, spark and boost effectively for changing conditions. Too often with systems such as megasquirt, a hot day, long grade, loose hose fitting or failed fastener results in cascading failures that better systems could easily detect and prevent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The guys over at www.turbomustangs.com love using megasquirt.

And they make some serious sh1t. I mean 800-1000 whp mustangs are the norm over there, and they run off of older gen megasquirts no problem.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...f75&board=11.0

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The guys over at www.turbomustangs.com love using megasquirt.

And they make some serious sh1t. I mean 800-1000 whp mustangs are the norm over there, and they run off of older gen megasquirts no problem.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...f75&board=11.0
    You can tune a mustang with some speaker cable, a paper clip, and a broken calculator.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hahaha that made me chuckle sticky.

It is true, mustangs are dirt easy to tune. But the same concept applies, at those power levels the dangers are the same for everybody, and MS EFI seems to handle it well from my experience.

There are people running lawnmowers off of MS as well as 200+ MPH salt flat record breaking racecars. It is a very versatile tool and it can be used on almost any engine that has pistons, valves, fuel injection and spark.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hahaha that made me chuckle sticky.

It is true, mustangs are dirt easy to tune. But the same concept applies, at those power levels the dangers are the same for everybody, and MS EFI seems to handle it well from my experience.

There are people running lawnmowers off of MS as well as 200+ MPH salt flat record breaking racecars. It is a very versatile tool and it can be used on almost any engine that has pistons, valves, fuel injection and spark.
    I don't doubt it, many guys are very happy with it. Just providing info I come across Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wonder how it would handle vanos control. What is the signal that controls vanos adjustment? Is it purely mechanical from oil pressure or is there some type of solenoid involved to phase the cam?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder how it would handle vanos control. What is the signal that controls vanos adjustment? Is it purely mechanical from oil pressure or is there some type of solenoid involved to phase the cam?
    In overhead cam engines, the cams are connected to the crankshaft by either a belt or chain and gears. In BMW VANOS motors there is a chain and some sprockets.

The crankshaft drives a sprocket on the exhaust cam, and the exhaust cam sprocket is bolted to the exhaust cam. A second set of teeth moves a second chain that goes across to the intake cam. The big sprocket on the intake cam is not bolted to the cam, for it has a big hole in the middle. Inside the hole is a helical set of teeth. On the end of the cam is a gear that is also helical on the outside, but it's too small to connect to the teeth on the inside of the big sprocket. There is a little cup of metal with helical teeth to match the cam on the inside and to match the sprocket on the outside. The V (Variable) in VANOS is due to the helical nature of the teeth. The cup gear is moved by a hydraulic mechanism that works on oil pressure controlled by the DME.

At idle, the cam timing is retarded. Just off idle, the DME energizes a solenoid which allows oil pressure to move that cup gear to advance the cam 12.5 degrees at midrange, and then at about 5000 rpm, it allows it to come back to the original position. The greater advance causes better cylinder fill at mid rpms for better torque. The noise some people hear is the result of tolerances that make the sprocket wiggle a bit as the cup gear is moved in or out.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the info! So the DME actually controls the phasing, do you happen to know what signal the DME produces to allow the oil pressure to build in the sprocket? Is it purely analog? Or digital, or PWM... etc...?

I see you mentioned solenoid, typically electromechanical. If so, I am assuming the DME controls this solenoid via an analog output. If that is something I can emulate with the Megasquirt, it would be nice.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by switlikbob Click here to enlarge
    In overhead cam engines, the cams are connected to the crankshaft by either a belt or chain and gears. In BMW VANOS motors there is a chain and some sprockets.

The crankshaft drives a sprocket on the exhaust cam, and the exhaust cam sprocket is bolted to the exhaust cam. A second set of teeth moves a second chain that goes across to the intake cam. The big sprocket on the intake cam is not bolted to the cam, for it has a big hole in the middle. Inside the hole is a helical set of teeth. On the end of the cam is a gear that is also helical on the outside, but it's too small to connect to the teeth on the inside of the big sprocket. There is a little cup of metal with helical teeth to match the cam on the inside and to match the sprocket on the outside. The V (Variable) in VANOS is due to the helical nature of the teeth. The cup gear is moved by a hydraulic mechanism that works on oil pressure controlled by the DME.

At idle, the cam timing is retarded. Just off idle, the DME energizes a solenoid which allows oil pressure to move that cup gear to advance the cam 12.5 degrees at midrange, and then at about 5000 rpm, it allows it to come back to the original position. The greater advance causes better cylinder fill at mid rpms for better torque. The noise some people hear is the result of tolerances that make the sprocket wiggle a bit as the cup gear is moved in or out.
    Last edited by DBFIU; 07-21-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not going to lie, I have no idea.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry for the slow response. I'm referring to the timing accuracy of the ECU.

The tuner I use was experiencing some issues with a different ECU and as part of his troubleshooting set timing flat across the entire rev range (at low load) and watched timing as he swept across the range. Deviation from the constant timing setpoint is reported as drift.

He reported timing drift in the order of 4 or 5 degrees on the Megasquirt which caused him concern. Not sure if it was + or - or what vintage the ECU was. I can ask for details if you're interested.

Dan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GTR-Dad Click here to enlarge
    Sorry for the slow response. I'm referring to the timing accuracy of the ECU.

The tuner I use was experiencing some issues with a different ECU and as part of his troubleshooting set timing flat across the entire rev range (at low load) and watched timing as he swept across the range. Deviation from the constant timing setpoint is reported as drift.

He reported timing drift in the order of 4 or 5 degrees on the Megasquirt which caused him concern. Not sure if it was + or - or what vintage the ECU was. I can ask for details if you're interested.

Dan
    If you are willing to ask we would not mind further details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast