Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

JB4 Owners, thoughts on Max Cool Mode

Hey guys, as you know I am a new JB4 owner, only been about 5 days. Last night I turned on Max Cool Mode, didn't get to test it out of course until this morning. Got to work literally 10 minutes ago, turn my music down a bit and realize the fan is loud as balls! Now I know this is normal as JB4 will make the fan / water pump run more often.

My question is, what are everyone's thoughts on this? Isn't this more stress on the water pump/fan, wouldn't the oem configuration do just fine for me for driving on a daily basis on the streets? I understand it may be very useful at a track, but how about everyday commuters? Fan was loud as hell, might turn it off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is no reason whatsoever to use maxcool for DD.
    Only if you like the sound of your radiator fan.
    You must have your music on loud to only notice the sound so late...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    There is no reason whatsoever to use maxcool for DD.
    Only if you like the sound of your radiator fan.
    You must have your music on loud to only notice the sound so late...
    thanks, actually i didnt have the music on that loud, lol windows were up and everything cold morning and I heard it last minute. Was about to freak out lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I've always thought that DD maxcool will cause premature failure of the fan/water pump but there haven't been any reported cases so I could just be paranoid. IDK. I only use it at the drag strip. Besides it's so loud people think somethings wrong with my car. Well that, wastegate rattle, and clutch chatter, my car sounds like a diesel. LOL
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I've always thought that DD maxcool will cause premature failure of the fan/water pump but there haven't been any reported cases so I could just be paranoid. IDK. I only use it at the drag strip. Besides it's so loud people think somethings wrong with my car. Well that, wastegate rattle, and clutch chatter, my car sounds like a diesel. LOL
    LOL, yea yesterday I was going through all of the JB4 features. Really neat, I really need to route my damn USB cable.. so lazy

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by straightcashhomie Click here to enlarge
    LOL, yea yesterday I was going through all of the JB4 features. Really neat, I really need to route my damn USB cable.. so lazy
    5 more minutes when installing the JB4 and you could of had the USB routed in the glove box
    2008 E90 335i 6MT | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS Back End Flash | BMS DCI | BMS DP's | COBB Exhaust | VRSF 7" FMIC | BMS OCC

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SJ_1989 Click here to enlarge
    5 more minutes when installing the JB4 and you could of had the USB routed in the glove box
    Slightly off topic, but do you have to disconnect your battery in order to route the USB cable in to the glove box or is there another way to do it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would. You'll want to pull the whole ECU and tray out to make it easier to route the USB through that little hole in the ECU box.
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
    Slightly off topic, but do you have to disconnect your battery in order to route the USB cable in to the glove box or is there another way to do it?
    No need to disconnect the battery. Just screw in to JB4 and route to glove box
    2008 E90 335i 6MT | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS Back End Flash | BMS DCI | BMS DP's | COBB Exhaust | VRSF 7" FMIC | BMS OCC

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SJ_1989 Click here to enlarge
    Yea I had the DME out until I found out that i needed t8 torx driver. I just bought a tool kit, so this time around I'm going to route my USB cable, change my plugs for new ones, and throw in my DCI Click here to enlarge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought max cool was for people that drag race to cool their cars off faster between runs. I don't think it has any use for dd driving.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onesuperboi Click here to enlarge
    I thought max cool was for people that drag race to cool their cars off faster between runs. I don't think it has any use for dd driving.
    yea, learned that now. Was wondering if people ran it on their dailys, lol my car was only at 180 degrees and the fan was blowing high and loud

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From the DME point of view it'll regulate the fan speed based on vehicle speed. Past about 100mph it'll actually turn the fan off as its becoming a flow restriction to the much stronger and cooler oncoming air from the front of the vehicle. JB4's MaxCool feature should monitor vehicle speed if it doesn't and turn it off as well, not sure if it does that already.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I've always thought that DD maxcool will cause premature failure of the fan/water pump but there haven't been any reported cases so I could just be paranoid. IDK.
    Likely paranoid. Keeping things cooler is rarely a bad thing.

I turn my fans on manually in my computer to have full cooling at all times. Will they fail earlier? I doubt it.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onesuperboi Click here to enlarge
    Ya you want that but if you can set it to come on more frequently (I assume you can?) it may be nice in hot climates.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I had max cool on for maybe 3 months straight this summer in Phoenix, for DD use.

Keeping things as cool as possible when it's 115F outside can only help the entire system... Even at the expense of the one part

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Obviously this will cause additional strain on your components and cause them to fail 'sooner' than they otherwise would have.
    Water Pumps on this platform have been seen to go around 60k, not how long that electric fan is good for.

Other than having to replace the water pump slightly sooner and your fan more often cold water makes for a happy turbocharged vehicle. I say do it if you can stand the noise Click here to enlarge
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    From the DME point of view it'll regulate the fan speed based on vehicle speed. Past about 100mph it'll actually turn the fan off as its becoming a flow restriction to the much stronger and cooler oncoming air from the front of the vehicle. JB4's MaxCool feature should monitor vehicle speed if it doesn't and turn it off as well, not sure if it does that already.
    It does.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Obviously this will cause additional strain on your components and cause them to fail 'sooner' than they otherwise would have.
    Water Pumps on this platform have been seen to go around 60k, not how long that electric fan is good for.

Other than having to replace the water pump slightly sooner and your fan more often cold water makes for a happy turbocharged vehicle. I say do it if you can stand the noise Click here to enlarge
    Correct. The trade off is noise and the potential for increased wear on the water pump and engine fan. So pick your poison! Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nailer335xi Click here to enlarge
    I had max cool on for maybe 3 months straight this summer in Phoenix, for DD use.

Keeping things as cool as possible when it's 115F outside can only help the entire system... Even at the expense of the one part
    For DD I've noticed I run cooler in the summer with AC on, then winter with no AC. My oil temps are lower in the summer.

@dzenno when's ATR going to have cooling adjustments.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    For DD I've noticed I run cooler in the summer with AC on, then winter with no AC. My oil temps are lower in the summer.

@dzen no when's ATR going to have cooling adjustments.
    not sure, all i know is that its on their to do list
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a question.. Would max-cool help lower oil temps on a car with no oil cooler on a track day where oil temps reach over 260?
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    good info

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hello,

talking about max cool, I have an issue with it.
    The car does not start max cool as it did before. Starts with a loud high pitch, the pump and the fan try to start and then stopped.. Do it a few time and then starts .. But if I depress the gas pedal it stops. Sometime it takes a long time to even try to start and sometea it try pretty quick.
    I Ld like to see if u guys had the same issue..
    Does anyone have a trick on how to fix it.. My car runs perfectly but this max cool.. Te fan works well and even swap it to see if te fan was the issue Sam problem.. The pump is relatibly new ..

Somewhere on FB (n54 enthusiast) seems like it was a post about it. I never saw it.. But I heard it was a problem with some settings.
    Please help.

My max cool is on (6-1)
    The car does not over heat but runs hot at te track or serine just setting there. I m use to see 210-230 even at the track. No even goes up to 250.. ;-((

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by begood69 Click here to enlarge
    Hello,

talking about max cool, I have an issue with it.
    The car does not start max cool as it did before. Starts with a loud high pitch, the pump and the fan try to start and then stopped.. Do it a few time and then starts .. But if I depress the gas pedal it stops. Sometime it takes a long time to even try to start and sometea it try pretty quick.
    I Ld like to see if u guys had the same issue..
    Does anyone have a trick on how to fix it.. My car runs perfectly but this max cool.. Te fan works well and even swap it to see if te fan was the issue Sam problem.. The pump is relatibly new ..

Somewhere on FB (n54 enthusiast) seems like it was a post about it. I never saw it.. But I heard it was a problem with some settings.
    Please help.

My max cool is on (6-1)
    The car does not over heat but runs hot at te track or serine just setting there. I m use to see 210-230 even at the track. No even goes up to 250.. ;-((
    That doesn't sound normal. I would update your JB4 with the latest firmware and try it again. I just ran with it at the track a few weeks ago and it work as advertised.....albeit extremely loud.

Report back with your results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast