Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

HFS-4 Failsafe and User settings

Anyone tinkered with the custom settings? I'm running into a few issues that i want to "tune out" that im experiencing with the default settings.

3-4k rpm's and above when going part throttle but little to no load - like going around a sustained corner, the failsafe will engage (usually right as i want to go full throttle, yeah - its annoying). I would think the failsafe would be dynamic based on the PWM flow, but it appears that the failsafe is a static setting based off the flow volume indicator on the gauge.

By default the HFS4 is configured to read both MAP and IDC to trigger, so i have played around with adjusting the P/IR trimming pot. I've currently got it set at about the 8pm mark, more biased towards boost. Im STILL seeing some meth activations and subsequently the fail safe triggering, but its nearly gone.

I've been contemplating setting the the injection method to "SSG" to turn off PWM and run single stage to prevent the fail safe from triggering, but that defeats the purpose of me buying this kit Click here to enlarge

I've also thought about increasing the gain and turning the P/IR trimmer to completely reference boost. Anyone seen any documentation stating what boost pressure the HFS4 would activate if i made this change?

Any thoughts or comments are welcome

EDIT: I also just read this from Howertons page, http://howertonengineering.com/tech-...dds3-failsafe/

This appears to suggest that the failsafe should be set for the lowest spray amount - which to me doesn't make a whole lot of sense since you want the failsafe to engage in case you aren't hitting your injection targets at full tilt.

• You will need to drive the car to set the lower failsafe.

• With the car in a high gear, 3rd or higher, gently press down on the throttle until the system starts to inject. When injection starts the “B” light at the end of the gauge should come on steady.
    • Turn the WL trimmer to the right 1-2 clicks at a time.
    • Repeat the same gentle throttle application. If the “B” light comes on then goes off right away, the failsafe has been tripped. If the “B” light stays on, turn the WL CW another 1-2 clicks.
    • If the failsafe trips during throttle application, let off the throttle and repeat a number of time to ensure it is at a consistent setting. If repeatable, turn the WL back to the left (CCW) 1-2 clicks.The lower failsafe has now been set.
    Last edited by lulz_m3; 10-04-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Also just saw that aquamist developed a check valve & jet in one. Nice $#@!!
    http://www.howertonengineering.net/a...eck-valve-jet/

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Did you try taking your WL fully counter clock wise, and WH fully clock wise?

This would definitely solve your issue if the failsafe is being triggered by a lower than expected flow. On the other hand if it is triggered by the water tank sensor then it won't do you any good.

In my case I had some bubbles in the line from when I filled up and changing the windows helped... Dzenno suggested I do that as a temp fix.
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Mine was like almost perfect with the settings at 0 but I am running 2 nozzles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    Did you try taking your WL fully counter clock wise, and WH fully clock wise?

This would definitely solve your issue if the failsafe is being triggered by a lower than expected flow. On the other hand if it is triggered by the water tank sensor then it won't do you any good.

In my case I had some bubbles in the line from when I filled up and changing the windows helped... Dzenno suggested I do that as a temp fix.
    Well yeah, i could turn the failsafe off, but that kind of defeats the purpose. It looks like i may have read the directions incorrectly from the install booklet, i re-read it last night and it appears that the failsafe should be set to trigger just under the lowest injection %. I set my failsafe a few clicks under full flow so that it would dump boost if for some reason full flow wasnt being achieved. being how aggressive my tune is, i may set my HFS4 to single stage (SSG) flow and then set the failsafe just under full flow. I am slightly concerned that i could be achieving enough flow to prevent the failsafe from triggering, but may not be reaching my full 950cc's a min that the car was tuned for - im running 16-17*'s up top. Obviously this could turn into a pretty big issue if something clogged a jet going full tilt Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Well yeah, i could turn the failsafe off, but that kind of defeats the purpose. It looks like i may have read the directions incorrectly from the install booklet, i re-read it last night and it appears that the failsafe should be set to trigger just under the lowest injection %. I set my failsafe a few clicks under full flow so that it would dump boost if for some reason full flow wasnt being achieved. being how aggressive my tune is, i may set my HFS4 to single stage (SSG) flow and then set the failsafe just under full flow. I am slightly concerned that i could be achieving enough flow to prevent the failsafe from triggering, but may not be reaching my full 950cc's a min that the car was tuned for - im running 16-17*'s up top. Obviously this could turn into a pretty big issue if something clogged a jet going full tilt Click here to enlarge
    I see what you mean. In my case, since I'm running E50 I think it is less of an issue since I use meth for cooling IAT mostly.

If I were to run the meth map, then I would definitely want to trigger the failsafe if I underflow.

Why not test the flow? I would given that your tune is very aggressive. You are running 16-17 degrees up top?? How does your timing correction look like? are you running 93oct? We couldn't that high with 92+90/10 meth on my car.
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    I see what you mean. In my case, since I'm running E50 I think it is less of an issue since I use meth for cooling IAT mostly.

If I were to run the meth map, then I would definitely want to trigger the failsafe if I underflow.

Why not test the flow? I would given that your tune is very aggressive. You are running 16-17 degrees up top?? How does your timing correction look like? are you running 93oct? We couldn't that high with 92+90/10 meth on my car.
    Flow is good, im just paranoid about something happening mid-pull.

Yep, targeting 16-17 *'s up top on 93 plus 60/40 meth & h2o. Timing used to be solid, no corrections other than the incosistent noise randomly appearing. I just got my turbos replaced and had a walnut shell blasting done and the same map doesnt run so well - the new turbos are a bit boost happy, working with the tuner now to get things dialed back in.

Click here to enlarge