Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Interesting. May be worth looking into. I am afraid that is too close to stock capacity, but its totally possible they under rated it for some safety factor.
    This rating is better than the SPEC Stage 3. I don't think the underrated it, they are just being realistic. If you are really launching your stock clutch you will see that you can't do more than half a dozen drag launches with drag radials at more than 450lb-ft until it begins to slip. That's how you determine how much a cluch is rated...if you just accelerate in 3rd or 4th gear from 3000RPM it doesn't mean the clutch holds the torque.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    This rating is better than the SPEC Stage 3. I don't think the underrated it, they are just being realistic. If you are really launching your stock clutch you will see that you can't do more than half a dozen drag launches with drag radials at more than 450lb-ft until it begins to slip. That's how you determine how much a cluch is rated...if you just accelerate in 3rd or 4th gear from 3000RPM it doesn't mean the clutch holds the torque.
    Makes sense, I agree. Spec 3+ claims 671ftlbs though. I am pretty sure I am going that route if they can get the steel flywheel sorted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    Sorry, I noticed your PM but I only had access to a tablet in the last 2 days and this website has some formatting issues preventing my to reply from an Android tablet or Android phone
    Yes due to the sidebar. I need to resolve this for the phones/tablets somehow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

@cstavaru:
    Can you give us an update on that clutch?

Im running Cobb Stage 2+ now. And I have the feeling my clutch cannot handle the torque around 4000RPM. And Sachs would be a good option. And ACT is not sold in germany.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lorddrinkalot Click here to enlarge
    @cstavaru :

Im running Cobb Stage 2+ now. And I have the feeling my clutch cannot handle the torque around 4000RPM. And Sachs would be a good option. And ACT is not sold in germany.
    How much torque do you have?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Well can't really say. OTS Stage2+ Aggressive is to much for stock clutch. Stage2+ Sport seems to work at the moment. I ran Stage1+ for the last 16k miles. And overall the car has 65k miles down.

I try to decide between Sachs and Spec Stage 3+. Spec is bit more expensive. But I had it in my old car and it was great. Also because of xDrive, I think I need a clutch which can handle a bit more torque.

I also want to keep the option of RB's or Vargas open. In the near future onle E85 and PTF eTune is planned.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

@cstavaru :

Clutch is still going strong and behaving perfectly ! No signs of slipping or other issues. No problems whatsoever, even with RB Turbos installed (30+whp more but only slightly higher torque than before).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Well can't really say. OTS Stage2+ Aggressive is to much for stock clutch. Stage2+ Sport seems to work at the moment. I ran Stage1+ for the last 16k miles. And overall the car has 65k miles down.

I try to decide between Sachs and Spec Stage 3+. Spec is bit more expensive. But I had it in my old car and it was great. Also because of xDrive, I think I need a clutch which can handle a bit more torque.

I also want to keep the option of RB's or Vargas open. In the near future onle E85 and PTF eTune is planned.
    Sorry, i was reading your previous post wrong and thought you had Spec 2+ now and that it would not be enough for your torque, which would have been a bit of a surprise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

2-year Follow-Up

Here is a 2-year follow-up on my cluch review:

The clutch behaved flawlessly over this time. It never ever slipped. But I did not launch it with drag radials more than 10-15 times. However, I did abuse it while daily driving it quite a lot.

Today, 2 years later, I decided to replace my Sachs Performance 4-puck setup with a Sachs Performance organic setup with reinforced clutch cover. Why ? The main reason is that I gave up participating to drag racing events due to increasing costs of bringing drag radials from the US into my EU country (basically the price more than doubles), etc. The other main reason is that the clutch became a little grabbier than I would like and it's not ideal in the stop-and-go traffic that I am facing everyday to work. Basically it became tiring to drive, the window of slipping the clutch is very narrow and you always have to take care of this while driving. An (intermittent but mostly present) screeching sound when taking off (only in 1st gear) was also present, sometimes people look at your car and you think that they are saying "dude, your car is broken"

So of course, after two years of stop-and-go driving, I expected a puck cluch to be worn, and the flywheel to be shot due to the shocks, as I read on other forums.

Well, guess what: everything was in "like-new" condition (pictures below). Not the slightest heat mark on the flywheel, the clutch disc was worn 1/2mm max. and the clutch plate looked like new. What suprised me the most is that the flywheel had no play at all compared to the new one ! I guess LUK improved their flywheels recently, my previous two flywheels had quite a lot of play when removed. I almost felt sorry for the money paid to replace it - but after I drove off from the car shop the ease of driving with the new organic clutch made the switch worth it for me. However, I am not sure how much this new setup will last until slipping. If if does slip over time, I will probably replace it with the puck setup again.

So basically, if you want a racing clutch that can be driven daily without getting worn, and don't mind the added grabby-ness over an organic setup, this clutch is a very good option.

Pictures of the removed clutch parts below.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12