Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BMW CBS - Yes it does work...

So before my first track day it showed 10k miles to service. After it showed 5k. After my second track day, it got knocked down to 3k. I've seen so many people say that this system is ineffective, blah blah blah...well, it cut my service interval from 16k to 9k due to the track days. Seems to make sense to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is this your oil you're talking about?? If that's the case I would oil change every 5k miles. When I track I oil change right after pretty much...
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    After a proper trackday the main reason for the interval change is due to brake wear.
    That can be pretty dramatic.
    I once went from 28k km to 9k km in one trackday.
    Funny thing is the indication is a prediction.
    If you ceep to normal day to day driving the number might go up after a while.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He's talking about brake wear? lol wth is CBS
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    So before my first track day it showed 10k miles to service. After it showed 5k. After my second track day, it got knocked down to 3k. I've seen so many people say that this system is ineffective, blah blah blah...well, it cut my service interval from 16k to 9k due to the track days. Seems to make sense to me.
    explain please.. what #s dropped down, the reading from the car?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He's talking about the maint intervals in the idrive, I left my car at ACM today for a oil change and it indicated I was due for a brake fluid flush.... I like CBS
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    He's talking about brake wear? lol wth is CBS
    It's condition based service - basically tells you when you need things changed. On my E46 M3, everything was based on pure mileage, the new M3 however supposedly factors in load, temperature, RPM, etc... It's pretty cool - but at first is hard to trust. I don't like the idea of going tons of mileage before an oil change - so that's the only thing I don't listen to. About every 5k for me - 8.4k RPM is a lot for any engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ok, im going to pay attention now then

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    It's condition based service - basically tells you when you need things changed. On my E46 M3, everything was based on pure mileage, the new M3 however supposedly factors in load, temperature, RPM, etc... It's pretty cool - but at first is hard to trust. I don't like the idea of going tons of mileage before an oil change - so that's the only thing I don't listen to. About every 5k for me - 8.4k RPM is a lot for any engine.
    There is even an oil condition sensor integrated into the oil level sensor if you can believe it. I think it is a pretty basic measurement, but still very cool.

Anyway, just wanted to post about it since a lot of people think it does not work or BMW is out to screw their customers ; )

Again, mine went from 10k -> 5k -> 3k in a very short period of time due to hard use and many broken hearts.

: P

Now that I'm out of warranty (end of month), I will probably just change the oil every 8-10k. I probably won't allow more than 3 track days between oil changes...maybe 2. Depends on conditions, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It should adjust exactly like that, a static figure for service makes no sense as it is all about how you use the car.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So I double checked this last night and the oil change interval said 11k miles or 6/2014. Huh? The thing that is bizzare about this is that I set it to (I believe) 10/2013 previously in bav tech. Maybe I screwed it up - don't know. Interestingly though, I had it in for an inspection, so it was hooked up to the BMW standard tools. I wonder if this somehow reset something. Anyway, the front brake pads are showing 3k to service, so to be truthful with everyone, my data sucks.

I'll report back once I get the next oil change and reset everything properly. I do know that this system works though, because even driven hard on the street, my car would never go the full 16k miles until service. But my statement that the track days led to a dramatic reduction in the CBS interval is likely inaccurate. Looks like it may have actually been related to the brake pads.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    Looks like it may have actually been related to the brake pads.
    More than likely.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale