Close

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wait does this end up damaging the motor internals or just trashes the compressor wheel? (ref piston ring)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Wait does this end up damaging the motor internals or just trashes the compressor wheel? (ref piston ring)
    Wont hurt the motor because of the intercooler. If the compressor destroyed itself most of the chips would just get stuck in the inlet side of the IC. I have seen cars not running IC's that ingested compressor chips. Didn't do it any good, but I have never seen it grenade a motor. With that said, anything is possible. Having metal floating around in your intake tract isn't good. This one didn't throw any chips, just damaged the compressor and knocked it our of balance. Doesn't take much these things are tiny and spin very high speeds.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I am pretty sure I will be offering an install kit very similar to ECS's if I have time to put them together, ECS seems a little steep. I guess there is an arm from the back of the motor to hold it on. This car doesnt have it so I will have to come up with something. Also they break in period is important as the turbos do use piston rings but it is not like breaking in a motor. Getting the car nice and hot on the highway and some easy driving while holding some boost off and on for a half hour or so should be sufficient. People are buying upgraded turbos cause they want to drive their cars hard. I have no problem with this.
    are you saying that bracket was NOT there? It should look like a piece of tin or steel, that is bolted to the lowest point on the back of the head.

Let me go dig up the part number and the diagram.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    are you saying that bracket was NOT there? It should look like a piece of tin or steel, that is bolted to the lowest point on the back of the head.

Let me go dig up the part number and the diagram.
    I think I know the part your are talking about NOW cause I looked at some pics. But yes it was gone. I am going to order one tomorrow. That number would be great. I think I will put a clamp on it anyways. This pressed on fit makes me nervous.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Part number 11 is what should be there.

11- 13717562713 - BRACKET, CHARGE AIR DUCTING

10- 13717568029 - GASKET RING

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I think I know the part your are talking about NOW cause I looked at some pics. But yes it was gone. I am going to order one tomorrow. That number would be great. I think I will put a clamp on it anyways. This pressed on fit makes me nervous.

you cant really clamp it...the outside is plastic, and tightening it will only distort the rubber seal on the inside, causing issues at the very least.

Getting that bracket on will require a short 10mm bolt (6mmx1 thread, 10mm head), and being very agile with two fingers (with the turbos in)...if you look straight up you will see a vacant hole on the back of the head, the bracket attaches to that, and the end piece slides over and holds it in place.

With the turbo out of the car, should be cake to get to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you cant really clamp it...the outside is plastic, and tightening it will only distort the rubber seal on the inside, causing issues at the very least.

Getting that bracket on will require a short 10mm bolt (6mmx1 thread, 10mm head), and being very agile with two fingers (with the turbos in)...if you look straight up you will see a vacant hole on the back of the head, the bracket attaches to that, and the end piece slides over and holds it in place.
    Gotcha, I am going to order it in the am and take a look. I still dont like it. Seems like a shaky way to hold an intake on which basically is what is keeping the turbos alive. I am going to try to come up with something better if I can.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gotcha, I am going to order it in the am and take a look. I still dont like it. Seems like a shaky way to hold an intake on which basically is what is keeping the turbos alive. I am going to try to come up with something better if I can.
    By all means Click here to enlarge

Its only a very few people that have this issue...I would assume a lot is related to either install error or parts being non-existent. I think I hold the record for the most turbo changes done outside the dealer in the tri-state area (going on 13 sets now), and up until now I had one issue..which was previous shop install error/user ignorance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    By all means Click here to enlarge

Its only a very few people that have this issue...I would assume a lot is related to either install error or parts being non-existent. I think I hold the record for the most turbo changes done outside the dealer in the tri-state area (going on 13 sets now), and up until now I had one issue..which was previous shop install error/user ignorance.
    Ok that makes me fell better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Check out realoem.com if you have never seen it btw. Nice diagrams of all BMWs parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    T-bolt clamp that mofo! And I really don't know what I'm talking about... lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    T-bolt clamp that mofo! And I really don't know what I'm talking about... lol

Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I am the driver of the x5m. I was alone and he walked me. We started around maybe 50mph. As fast as the x5 is, it is an suv with a $#@!load of air resistance and AWD drivetrain loss. If I had pulled on him, it would be shocking. Now from a dig, he would have a hard time.

Anyways I drove the car for 15 min or so. It was a whole different animal. Spool was loud and instant. I was barely getting in on it and I would notice the traction control light working hard 1-2nd gear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw>benz Click here to enlarge
    I am the driver of the x5m. I was alone and he walked me. We started around maybe 50mph. As fast as the x5 is, it is an suv with a $#@!load of air resistance and AWD drivetrain loss. If I had pulled on him, it would be shocking. Now from a dig, he would have a hard time.

Anyways I drove the car for 15 min or so. It was a whole different animal. Spool was loud and instant. I was barely getting in on it and I would notice the traction control light working hard 1-2nd gear.

Hell, for what i paid for the "beta" stage 2 turbos if they just SOUND more like real turbos they'll almost be worth it Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I prefer N/A but I have to say that spool is intoxicating. Keep in mind this car is pretty much straight through. I love following him because now I can hear it spooling at the low revs as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any progress today?
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    IIRC enrita had the same issue as well

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Any progress today?
    Honestly barely got to touch them today, was swamped with a bunch of other things and a family issue come up. I am at the shop now putting the turbo together, just walked in from balancing an sat down for a sec. Hopefully I will have it back running tomorrow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Updates?
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I also had a question about what kind of warranty, if any, do these turbo's come with?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Salg Click here to enlarge
    I also had a question about what kind of warranty, if any, do these turbo's come with?
    They do, 12 month limited from date of purchase. And updates. Turbo is back on the car, seems to be fine but car is only making 14 lbs of boost. I have to leave town tomorrow to deal with some family stuff. Customer is going to pick it up tomorrow and drive it over the weekend. As long as we can get the low boost problem fixed i will put it on the dyno as soon as I get back. I also might have found a potential problem with the bushings I had made to use for my stage 1's to adapt the stock turbines to the TD04 compressor wheels. Not all of them but some when torqued to spec throw the balance off. Which tells me the company that made them possibly made a mistake. I am addressing it and will keep everyone updated. The stage 2's dont use the bushings as you use a TD04 turbine and compressor. Shouldn't take long to get new bushings made. But I prob would not ship any more stage 1's until I am confident the bushings are perfect. Thats just the only way to do it in my opinion.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 10-04-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    But I prob would not ship any more stage 1's until I am confident the bushings are perfect. Thats just the only way to do it in my opinion.

Tony

Thank you for running an honest business
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They do, 12 month limited from date of purchase. And updates. Turbo is back on the car, seems to be fine but car is only making 14 lbs of boost. I have to leave town tomorrow to deal with some family stuff. Customer is going to pick it up tomorrow and drive it over the weekend. As long as we can get the low boost problem fixed i will put it on the dyno as soon as I get back. I also might have found a potential problem with the bushings I had made to use for my stage 1's to adapt the stock turbines to the TD04 compressor wheels. Not all of them but some when torqued to spec throw the balance off. Which tells me the company that made them possibly made a mistake. I am addressing it and will keep everyone updated. The stage 2's dont use the bushings as you use a TD04 turbine and compressor. Shouldn't take long to get new bushings made. But I prob would not ship any more stage 1's until I am confident the bushings are perfect. Thats just the only way to do it in my opinion.

Tony
    what is the boost target? you have any logs to post?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the "love" of finding stuff out. Looks good Tony thanks for the constant updates. Love it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thank you for the honesty

it does appear to be running into issues though, just saying Click here to enlarge

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast