Close

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Please pardon my ignorance here. Are the logs something I can pull from the onboard computer? I don't have any tuning or OBD reading equipment. Can the dealer get it for me?

I have suffered another setback. I just got word that the dealer received two left-hand oil tubes instead of one right and one left. My car will not be ready until next week. Ah well, I can't complain too much, they have provided me with a loaner all this time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Come on D, post the dyno/logs.
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigstupid Click here to enlarge
    Please pardon my ignorance here. Are the logs something I can pull from the onboard computer? I don't have any tuning or OBD reading equipment. Can the dealer get it for me?
    You'll need to borrow someone's COBB AP to take logs w/o altering the tune
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    You'll need to borrow someone's COBB AP to take logs w/o altering the tune
    Or a BT cable I guess, or a JB4...
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    Or a BT cable I guess, or a JB4...
    BT cable true, I think no matter what the JB4 will have a slight impact the tune, even in Map 0

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

3 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I did not ignore the lower compression. I just said what is fact, despite lowered compression he still made more power from before head to after head all else the same with the RBs. The head did in fact make a big difference, in a positive way, under all conditions. I have seen this on other platforms as well, the drop in compression was well more than offset by power gains at the same boost with much higher octane thresholds. The fact is that dzenno's car is an anomaly and is not one that can be referenced as what everyone else will experience with said turbo setup. I have said as always that Stage 1 may make more or less power than stock; 6 of one half a dozen of the other. If anything it will much very little more overall with no real benefit in the lower preturbine pressures regardless since obviously the turbine is the same all you can do is cram more air into the same restrictive turbine via the larger compressor, so at the end of the day not much is solved. Also being that there is reuse of most all components in purchasing Stage 1 turbos as opposed to brand new (new being cheaper and also I do believe without core requirement), makes new units very appealing. All in all, just trying to say that marketing them as significant power increasers or proven performers based on a single car that has significant alterations that what most any other would have is not the best idea. But do agree that it does at least provide another option for the masses.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I didn't and wouldn't discount the headwork at all. The headwork will help for sure on a big flowing set up like the VTX kits. But you like the other guy ignored the lowered compression which is very much a factor and the head work is being offset by the lowered compression at lower boost levels. If you want to argue that this is not the case, go right ahead. I will stand my ground on this. Bottom line everyone including yourself said stage 1's would see no gains and if anything make less power then stock. This is obviously not the case. I love how now that major power levels have been achieved everyone wants to talk about how crappy the head is and its limits. Reminds me of the stuff I read when I first joined these forums from a couple years back when the biggest players in the N54 game were saying the N54 couldn't make more then 500 in stock form without blowing up, then they raised it to 600 before it blows up. Now we are sitting at 725 with no engine work and the motor hasn't shown a sign of protest. Bottom line is, D didn't throw an aggressive over the top tune tune at these things. I know exactly what he is running and it is actually very mild with conservative boost levels. He made a crap load of tq throwing a lot of boost at them midrange, not surprising, but up top boost was lower then what they are running stock on E85 and he is on pump. My marketing was and is the same, if you are in the market for stock turbos, for the price you would at least have to look at a stage 1 option, IMO.
    The only intention was to point out some facts, pretty obvious ones that some like to weave around. I'd reserve much judgment until they are installed on your typical FBO N54 is all I was trying to say. But since that reality is one that a lot of people do not want to hear, they discard it as negativity or competitive "intentions".

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DCAFS Click here to enlarge
    I am 100% positive my intentions are not in the same cup as Rob's, so please don't paint me with the same brush as I find it offensive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    BT cable true, I think no matter what the JB4 will have a slight impact the tune, even in Map 0
    I think a non-iso jb4 in map4 would be stock tune but with can logging enabled. @Terry@BMS prob has the details.

If I was to logg I rather get a jb4 than a bt cable Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Only non-ISO map 0 or 4 can be considered stock. Once ISO jb4 always controls boost even on maps 0 and 4
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    After some research, I think I may be in the market for a COBB AP. I just don't think that my wife is as excited about spending money on go-fast stuff as I am.

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on one? Do any of the vendors on this forum offer any discounts on the N54 COBB AP? Military discounts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry at BMS or Dzenno at ProTuningFreaks will give you a great deal. Sadly most don't give a military discount specifically but they do give great deals if you ask in general.

After some research, I think I may be in the market for a COBB AP. I just don't think that my wife is as excited about spending money on go-fast stuff as I am.

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on one? Do any of the vendors on this forum offer any discounts on the N54 COBB AP? Military discounts?
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

I have suffered another setback. I just got word that the dealer received two left-hand oil tubes instead of one right and one left. My car will not be ready until next week. Ah well, I can't complain too much, they have provided me with a loaner all this time.
    Update:

I finally got my car back last night with the new VTT stage 1 turbos installed. Before I relate the sage, let me just say that am pleased with the new turbos' performance.

Installation was quite an ordeal and took over a month.

I went to get it last Wednesday when the dealer said it was installed and tested. I drove it across the street to have dinner with my family. As soon as we were done, we drove less than a mile to the on-ramp to I65.

As I accelerated, and the car threw the "Engine malfunction. Reduced Power" error with noticeably reduced power and started shaking. My wife called the service manager and we limped it back to the dealer.

Needless to say, I was not at all pleased. The service manager witnessed the car's behavior and took pictures. When He stopped the car and tried to restart it, it wouldn't start and eventually gave a fuel pump error.

I left the car with the dealer again. They gave me a Mercedes to drive in the meanwhile.

According to the service manager, the car started right up the next day and had to stored codes. They put 200 miles on the car over the week and couldn't get it to produce an error.

I picked it up last night and put it through its paces. It really runs great -- I would say better than when I bought it. No rattles at idle.

The theory that the dealer put forth is that when the computer was reset, the car didn't have enough data to know how to react to the new turbos.

So far so good. I have a couple hundred miles on it myself. So far, so good.

Maybe a COBB AP next so I can read my own codes.

If you're reading this, Tony, I'll get the cores back to you within a few days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Update:

I finally got my car back last night with the new VTT stage 1 turbos installed. Before I relate the sage, let me just say that am pleased with the new turbos' performance.

Installation was quite an ordeal and took over a month.

I went to get it last Wednesday when the dealer said it was installed and tested. I drove it across the street to have dinner with my family. As soon as we were done, we drove less than a mile to the on-ramp to I65.

As I accelerated, and the car threw the "Engine malfunction. Reduced Power" error with noticeably reduced power and started shaking. My wife called the service manager and we limped it back to the dealer.

Needless to say, I was not at all pleased. The service manager witnessed the car's behavior and took pictures. When He stopped the car and tried to restart it, it wouldn't start and eventually gave a fuel pump error.

I left the car with the dealer again. They gave me a Mercedes to drive in the meanwhile.

According to the service manager, the car started right up the next day and had to stored codes. They put 200 miles on the car over the week and couldn't get it to produce an error.

I picked it up last night and put it through its paces. It really runs great -- I would say better than when I bought it. No rattles at idle.

The theory that the dealer put forth is that when the computer was reset, the car didn't have enough data to know how to react to the new turbos.

So far so good. I have a couple hundred miles on it myself. So far, so good.

Maybe a COBB AP next so I can read my own codes.

If you're reading this, Tony, I'll get the cores back to you within a few days.
    Alex, thanks for the post man. Sorry to hear about your problems with the dealership. Its becoming all to common to hear of stories like this. The computer would need no time to "get used" to the new turbos. I bolted an entirely new turbo system onto a 335 with huge turbos and it fired up and drove like stock on the stock tune. They prob found a plug or connector they had left off and it was an easy fix. Either way, glad to know you got it all squared away. Keep us posted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    smh , so mis information and shady work goes on at too many dealerships. Bmw seems especially bad. I don't understand how you can mess things up that you do every day.
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    This is obviously not the case. I love how now that major power levels have been achieved everyone wants to talk about how crappy the head is and its limits. Reminds me of the stuff I read when I first joined these forums from a couple years back when the biggest players in the N54 game were saying the N54 couldn't make more then 500 in stock form without blowing up, then they raised it to 600 before it blows up. Now we are sitting at 725 with no engine work
    go back a bit further, i can find some posts saying they expect the motor to give up around the 400-450mark lol

i do like that headwork is becoming a common thing now too Click here to enlarge
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
    Or, in this case, two at a time.

On a more serious note, the BMW dealer seemed interested in taking care of me and my car. They gave me loaner vehicles to drive, picked up my family when we had to get towed, met me after hours, etc.

I had a long conversation with them after I first picked it up since it was doing the same thing as it did when I first brought it to them: Engine Malfunction Reduced Power, shaking/misfiring, no start, fuel pump failure.

I had spent $5000 and still had the same problem. Granted, I now have new turbos, but I didn't bring the car to them to replace the turbos. I brought the car in to fix the Engine Malfunction problem.

Like Tony said, they probably just found something simple that they forgot. It seems good now, but I still worry that I will hear the dreaded chime and see the error.

From what I researched, it could be the fuel pump, injectors, coils, VANOS solenoids, camshafts, etc. A nice litany of expensive things to fix. There again, I just hope that the turbos really do have it all sorted out.

The wastegates and linkage on the old turbos do look like they have a lot of play in them. Perhaps Tony can give me some piece of mind with an autopsy report once I get them back to him.

Any other suggestions and/or comments welcome.

Regards,

--Alex

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Any other suggestions and/or comments welcome.
    Get a tune of some sort... Which will allow you to log the car and see whats going on.

Like you said there could be many things causing your Malf light but logging the car will certainly help pin point why these malfunctions are happening.

If you want to stay conservative you can run map 1 or 2 with jb4, or cobb's stage 1 off the shelf map. Logging the car can also be done with a BT tool that many vendors sell but the price of it compared to either tune makes the tune a better idea.

jb4 has physical parts that need to be attached where cobb just plugs in your obd2 port and flashes the car. Cobbs strengths are its easily hidden from the dealer by simply flashing back to stock, has some nice features on the hand held device like on the fly monitoring of any parameters , essentially becoming a gauge for any one parameter at any given time, etc.... Jb4 has a bunch of cool can-related features it can do for you like Using your fuel and oil temp gauges as boost and afr or any config of two parameters. You keep the fuel and oil gauge working as well,, you set the hijacking to begin when you go over 50% throttle and reverts back after a short while after letting off the throttle. Other cool features are start up gauge sweep, easy and instant map switching on the fly, and great customer support from Terry who will do all he can to figure out any/all issues to the best of his ability in a very timely manner...

But both do a great job. Now that you have these stage 1's that arent OEM and are paying for your work anyway, it's a no brainer to actually extract some of the cars potential out of it..

And I'm curious, What did you spend $5,000 on?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Chuck,

Thanks for the input. I am assuming that you are running the JB4, right?

I am leaning towards the COBB right now, simply because I like the idea of the ease of install.

The breakdown of the $5000:

~$2000 to VTT for the stage 1 turbos and shipping
    $1283 to BMW dealer for parts and supplies for the install (gaskets, tubes, orings, etc.)
    $1650 to BMW dealer for labor

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Chuck,

$1283 to BMW dealer for parts and supplies for the install (gaskets, tubes, orings, etc.)

every single part you need should cost you around $300 , I replaced every single part associated with a turbo install , all lines, etc... that is 4x too much money. You have receipts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Chuck,
    The $1283 figure does not surprise me as he is at the BMW dealer. Dealership will charge a premium for their parts/supplies. It does sound like the dealership is doing what they can to take care of him though.

The $300 you speak of, was that from a dealer? I ask because at some point, I may go the same route with Stage 2's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bigstupid,

I am curious if you considered the VTT Stage 2 option? Seems like Stage 1 should be very nice. Dzenno has beat them up pretty good and they seem to be a great deal as far better than stock replacements.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by eric84405 Click here to enlarge
    bigstupid,

I am curious if you considered the VTT Stage 2 option? Seems like Stage 1 should be very nice. Dzenno has beat them up pretty good and they seem to be a great deal as far better than stock replacements.
    He was just looking for an OEM replacement

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314