4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

not making boost and looking for help!

The car is an '09 135, with:

Full bolt ons
    WW meth (50/50 mix)
    E85/93 blend (50/50 mix)
    JB4 w/ 15 ohm mod

My issue is, I was doing a couple 3-4 pulls on the highway today, and the car would be fine until maybe 6k rpms. Meth would flow, car pulled like normal, etc., but around 6k it would stumble and back fire, then throw a code. After this, the car would only make maybe 2-3 psi of boost, and I got a "half power engine" light. The car will rev just fine(aside from being slow), but still no boost will build. I pulled codes when I got home and found 29E1, and 29E0 fuel mixture codes. I tried manually deleting them, and throwing another gallon of 93 in the mix, but it doesn't appear to have helped anything. So my question is, does anyone have any idea what I should be looking into for the issue? Has anyone else had this same thing happen by any chance?
    Current: 2012 CTS-V - stock for now
    Past: 2009 135i 6MT - JB4, bolt ons, meth, E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You need to post a log for any meaningful advice.

My car's LPFP also takes a crap north of 6000 RPM on just E85 with Cobb, so it could be a fueling issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm leaning towards fueling as well, but this is the first time I've had an issue and I've been this same mixture and setup all summer. I will try to get a log, but with no boost, a full gear pull is nearly impossible to do. The car is painfully slow.
    Current: 2012 CTS-V - stock for now
    Past: 2009 135i 6MT - JB4, bolt ons, meth, E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    have you checked all connections?

have you touched anything lately?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone else? Bump @Terry@BMS

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is interesting I would like to know as well. I got a call from my stage one tester today and his car did the same thing. Running fine, pulling hard and then no boost, throwing the engine light and limp home mode. He cleared everything and still the same. I am going to do some datalogs on tuesday and see what I can find. He is running a Procede rev 2.5. I know its not the turbos, they are mechanical if they are getting exhaust through the turbine they will make boost, so something is holding the gates open or he lost vacuum and they will not close, or possibly fueling as you guys said. Weird, I will keep an eye on this post and also let you guys know if I find anything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tony what codes did your beta tester show? I remember reading - i think it was your stage 1 beta tester say that he was going to run an "upgraded turbo map" with the stage 1 turbo. I advised the person against that. He needs to run the stock turbo "Stage 3" map. Make sure he isn't running the upgraded turbo map - that is ONLY for "stage 2" style turbos.
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    This is interesting I would like to know as well. I got a call from my stage one tester today and his car did the same thing. Running fine, pulling hard and then no boost, throwing the engine light and limp home mode. He cleared everything and still the same. I am going to do some datalogs on tuesday and see what I can find. He is running a Procede rev 2.5. I know its not the turbos, they are mechanical if they are getting exhaust through the turbine they will make boost, so something is holding the gates open or he lost vacuum and they will not close, or possibly fueling as you guys said. Weird, I will keep an eye on this post and also let you guys know if I find anything.
    tony have your tester post the fault codes. The op is getting fuel mixture codes because he's running e85 and his system as it is setup can't handle the current e85%. Anything could be wrong with your testers car from the vband clamp blocking the waste gate arm so it can't close to misfires, etc. post up logs and fault codes
    Last edited by bigdnno98; 09-30-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Given fuel trim codes I'd say go back down to a lower blend of E85 or just pump gas to see if the issues go away.

For 50/50 blends of E85/pump in most cases the car will be maxing fuel trims with just a piggyback running the show which could cause misfires according to some sources.

The DME should be flashed for appropriate ethanol fuel scalars to make things happy and at that point you can run a combo of a flash+piggy or just the flash (COBB) on its own.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    You need to post a log for any meaningful advice.

My car's LPFP also takes a crap north of 6000 RPM on just E85 with Cobb, so it could be a fueling issue.
    In your case the car leans out while still running fine (although leaner than target without supplemental meth) while in his case he goes into limp mode. It doesn't sound like OP is encountering misfires though, just a stumble and then limp which confuses things a bit before seeing logs. Logs should help for sure.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    tony have your tester post the fault codes. The op is getting fuel mixture codes because he's running e85 and his system as it is setup can't handle the current e85%. Anything could be wrong with your testers car from the vband clamp blocking the waste gate arm so it can't close to misfires, etc. post up logs and fault codes
    Soon as he gives me the codes I will post them. He did run the upgraded turbo map designed for stage 2 type turbos, I advised him to go back to the other maps for stock turbos. JP can you specify "stage 3" map because on his procede map number 3 is the NA map, gates held open. I know its not a Vband because it ran perfectly for a day and half and then after a pull went into limp home and will not make boost. Its possible he blew a charge pipe connection, etc I am not going to guess at it. Just wondering if anyone had any advice. His laptop is down he said so he cant log so he is bringing me the car tuesday so I can look at it and make some logs. I sure Its something simple. Thanks guys

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If he's loaded the upgraded turbo (i.e. larger than stock turbine) map he might just be underboosting and going limp because of that.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Soon as he gives me the codes I will post them. He did run the upgraded turbo map designed for stage 2 type turbos, I advised him to go back to the other maps for stock turbos. JP can you specify "stage 3" map because on his procede map number 3 is the NA map, gates held open. I know its not a Vband because it ran perfectly for a day and half and then after a pull went into limp home and will not make boost. Its possible he blew a charge pipe connection, etc I am not going to guess at it. Just wondering if anyone had any advice. His laptop is down he said so he cant log so he is bringing me the car tuesday so I can look at it and make some logs. I sure Its something simple. Thanks guys
    it usually is something easy like a plug or coil. Sometimes it tuning. Logs and codes usually make it easy to determine though.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    it usually is something easy like a plug or coil. Sometimes it tuning. Logs and codes usually make it easy to determine though.
    I agree we are blind right now. His laptop is down so I have no codes or no logs, he claims he was running that map for a while before this happened. He has now gone back and cleared all codes, etc and same. It usually does turn out to be something simple. I'll keep you guys posted. Hopefully its a quick fix and ill use the time its at the shop to bring it to the dyno for some numbers.

Edit: Ok he just texted me and he said when he revs the car in neutral the turbos are louder than normal and he can hear the stock gates rattle (not upgraded with the new SS valves) this tells me for some reason the DME is holding them full open or he is not getting proper vacuum to close them at idle and no boost conditions. Sounds like an easy fix once I get some information with my laptop. I'll keep you guys posted
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 09-30-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    "Stage 3" that i'm referring to is the actual map (suitable for FBO stock turbo/ compressor-only turbo upgrade). You are correct 'map 3' is the NA mode - which I am not referring to. He needs to load up the stage 3 map/firmware instead of the "upgraded turbo map/firmware".
    Last edited by jpsimon; 09-30-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Huh weird. Procede guys, does the procede have a bypass map that shuts the tune off? If so he can try that and see if the condition persists to eliminate the tune as the culprit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When I say "stage 3" I'm referring to the actual map/firmware you load onto the procede. There are different staged maps/firmware (stage 0, 1, 2, 3, upgraded turbo). I'm not talking about the map selection after it's already loaded up (map 3 would be NA mode).

He needs to load up the stage 3 map/firmware and start there. When he does this make sure he does the full updating procedure where it resets the wastegate adaptions etc.

that begin said, it sounds like a vacuum leak... but he does need to run the appropriate map/firmware... the "upgraded turbo" map is not appropriate and like dzenno said most likely will cause underboost codes etc.

Last edited by jpsimon; 09-30-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    335xi (sold)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Huh weird. Procede guys, does the procede have a bypass map that shuts the tune off? If so he can try that and see if the condition persists to eliminate the tune as the culprit.
    Customer says he tried it with the procede completely disconnected and just stock DME and same problem. I am just going to wait for him to bring it and see what we got. Oh the joys of testing, when other things go wrong keeping your from testing.. haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Customer says he tried it with the procede completely disconnected and just stock DME and same problem. I am just going to wait for him to bring it and see what we got. Oh the joys of testing, when other things go wrong keeping your from testing.. haha
    I can't wait to get my stage 2s on Click here to enlarge just finished up testing with terry from bms on his backend flash along with the isolated boost control on the g5 board. I'm gonna get an n20 map sensor and get that wired up and working prior to turbo install so the only variable will be the turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't wait to get my stage 2s on Click here to enlarge just finished up testing with terry from bms on his backend flash along with the isolated boost control on the g5 board. I'm gonna get an n20 map sensor and get that wired up and working prior to turbo install so the only variable will be the turbos.
    Solid plan. Eliminate all question marks beforehand. I like your style