Close

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Easy to spot for damn sure...
    yup, no one batted an eyelid before, now as i crawl through traffic a good 2/3 of cars have at least one person staring and turning their heads

I like it lol.

helps at car meets i can just say 'the BMW hatch with orange wheels'... before 'the bmw hatch' no one noticed.. and when it gets wider and wider wheels, it'll be even moreso, but this is easy for now, and sooner haha

lots of people won't like it, it's very polarising, the older people at work just go 'oh you've ruined it'.. all my friends love it

people on the internet are pretty well 50/50, they either go 'wtf is up with late model bmw's and orange wheels, gross!' or 'love it, love black and orange theme'

lets be honest, i WANT people to notice it, if you can't tell by the wheels lol. like it or hate it, it's memorable... and it's still a different hate to 'civic with a milo tin and gt-wing' hate.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    I dont mind the orange wheels at all, and its plasti dip, take it off when you get tired of it!
    if i'm not sick of it when it comes time for new wheels, they're getting powder coated though haha... silver wheels are too plain, white wheels too filthy, black wheels too black on black on black bleh... but yeah, if i get sick of them, 20 minutes of peeling (which is REALLY enjoyable)

for once, i don't want this car to look more sleeper, no one suspects a hatch that isn't a WRX/STI to be properly fast anyway mostly hahaha... most of them will probably go 'oh lol, way too much show, bet it has no go'

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
    Why did you not pick a underpowered s65 engine?
    a solid triple the price to actually buy the thing, if not more.. pass.. i mean, i'd LOVE to, would be somewhat cooler, but no one looks at the N54 for swaps mostly, because it's so common for most other models.

doesn't really matter what i put into it as long as it's decent, there aren't many E87 swaps to anything around as far as i know, i've only seen one lol.

plus, i know the N54 will almost literally bolt straight up in most ways, it's so much easier in the long run really. and easily street legal.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black Sheep Click here to enlarge
    Very cool build tho for sure. Good luck
    thanks, once i get the engine stand, then the gearbox, there'll be a lot more pictures and updates.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Cant wait for updates! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I actually like the orange wheels on your black car. I'm usually one that prefers a clean look but I understand what your going for with this build. Your going to love the n54
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    Cant wait for updates! Click here to enlarge
    Soon, SOON! haha, it's really just a money thing, blahhh haha

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I actually like the orange wheels on your black car. I'm usually one that prefers a clean look but I understand what your going for with this build. Your going to love the n54
    Thanks, don't get me wrong, it's all going to be very clean and good condition and neat and whatnot, but it'll have things like contrasting colours and .. standout features in general..

One thing i see as a problem is, if i have the hood open at a big meet, it'll have a nice painted engine cover, the turbos will (probably) be low mounted twins and the only 'standout' things will be an anodized black massive IC, BoV and anodized intake pipes.. it'll be really clean.. but unlike a honda which hundreds of people go 'man that's soooo modified, no honda came with a turbo' (there was a 400-500whp race civic there for one..) or an M car which is obviously special, or any of the crazy OBVIOUSLY modified cars, evos, WRX's, skylines... LS* motored cars (holden here, or the RARE chevs lol) or the RB26 E36's etc..... 99/100 people won't have a clue what's special about it, or that it'll be more power than 99/100 cars present lol.. but you can't tell that if it's sitting still turned off.

I'm building it for me, but you have to admit, people admirinig your car because it's nice, gives you a nice feelinig lol... and if i like looking at it, other people will.. the only problem being i'll need to make sure it's 100% legal because the police like the obviously modified cars...

on that note...

a couple of good photos out of the few of me from downshift meet yesterday (giant monthly car meet here):

Click here to enlarge
    I got a defenct notice for the dark tail lights (they're legal but i can't prove it) so i'll be getting factory LCI blackline really soon lol)
    Click here to enlarge

$5 entry for professonial photography? kthanks Click here to enlarge (if you like looking at stunning cars, say so and i can post links, there's a couple of thousand photos to look at + videos)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

You could put a black 135 badge on it to make people realize it has something different. Or you could put a nice shiny intercooler on it, and it will have a nice contrast against the black car.

The n54 isn't a pretty engine (when looking in the engine bay).
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    You could put a black 135 badge on it to make people realize it has something different. Or you could put a nice shiny intercooler on it, and it will have a nice contrast against the black car.

The n54 isn't a pretty engine (when looking in the engine bay).
    nah i wanna stay clean and badgeless

putting a 135i badge on it cuold be ok though, i dunno i'll think about it lol. probaly not though... it'll have wide front and rear, massively offset wheels a huge FMIC, and.. well it's not going to be quiet, people will realize it's somehow not factory original lol.

naw, going to have a black FMIC on it, a bit one, but black still.

or i could get it orange Click here to enlarge hahaha

i'll make sure it's pretty, i'm already not happy with the black conduit holding the wiring, i'm going to change that myself, paint the engine cover. don't worry it will be pretty Click here to enlarge.. engine cover will have the black/orange and all that like the rest of the car, black bov etc. etc.

maybe relocate the vacuum canisters out of clear view (or simply make a plate).. it's not going in ugly, screw that... literally everything i can in black and orange lol.

minor MINOR wire tuck job, nice vacuum tubing, do it once do it right or i'll regret it.

i think my N52 looks alright in the bay... but the engine cover isn't $#@!ty plastic so that helps a bit lol.

the whole 'inline 6cyl in a hatch' thing helps a lot though haha

what i originally posted for;

who knows what bolts the bellhousing uses, i have an engine stand i need to buy some bolts for

@VargasTurboTech you probably know considering you have an N54 on a stand ?

thanks for any help Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

....spotless... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Carbon buildup is so nasty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Get an RB PCV to put in there bud.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Get an RB PCV to put in there bud.
    on the cards for sure, and an OCC, can't harm anything i figure

one thing i haven't worked out entirely is how it all plumbs up if i'm replacing all of the intake piping ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

With OCC? Vent to atmo.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

With OCC? Vent to atmo.
    can't legally here, car's going to get enough cop attention, don't want to attract the attention of one that knows what he's looking at either lol

... i'll talk to an engineer about it, what i can do the easiest legal way :/

worst case: plumb a hole into intake piping for when people have to look at it, have a bung for it, so pretty much just for show?

then we have other crappy laws to do with atmo BOV's and PCV emissions

i really have to talk to an engineer about it lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

if i wasn't rebuilding this would be a worry lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Oh yeah just plumb it back to the intake tube Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    can't legally here, car's going to get enough cop attention, don't want to attract the attention of one that knows what he's looking at either lol

... i'll talk to an engineer about it, what i can do the easiest legal way :/

worst case: plumb a hole into intake piping for when people have to look at it, have a bung for it, so pretty much just for show?

then we have other crappy laws to do with atmo BOV's and PCV emissions

i really have to talk to an engineer about it lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Oh yeah just plumb it back to the intake tube Click here to enlarge
    but i don't want oily stuff in my business potentially Click here to enlarge (though i now the OCC will stop it mostly)... plus it adds a bit of cost to the intake tubing lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

but i don't want oily stuff in my business potentially Click here to enlarge (though i now the OCC will stop it mostly)... plus it adds a bit of cost to the intake tubing lol
    So you're saying that you want to run it to the intake tube so that it doesnt fail inspection but you DONT want to run it to the intake tube to avoid oil.

It sounds like you need to run a dummy tube from under the engine top cover to the intake tube and then stealthily VTA the crank. Or you might vent to the exhaust mani using a venturi system and gain 10-15hp from the negative crankcase pressure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

So you're saying that you want to run it to the intake tube so that it doesnt fail inspection but you DONT want to run it to the intake tube to avoid oil.

It sounds like you need to run a dummy tube from under the engine top cover to the intake tube and then stealthily VTA the crank. Or you might vent to the exhaust mani using a venturi system and gain 10-15hp from the negative crankcase pressure.
    Basically, i want the best of both worlds haha

hmmm venting to exhaust would probably be an even bigger headache than itd be worth though sadly

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome build,

Not a fan of bright wheels but this looks good Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    So this is the same 6mt in the 335i correct? What else outside the box would you need? DME, Wiring harnesses, Cluster, driveline, TCM?
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

You shouldn't be barefoot in the garage. I learned this after I was pulling a small screw out of my heel...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You shouldn't be barefoot in the garage. I learned this after I was pulling a small screw out of my heel...
    it's kept really clean, screws have boxes - it's still more of a car store than workshop still

plus, heels of leather here hahah

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

after recent incidents, and the final straw tonight of stupid underground parking kerb, i'm millimeters away from getting a beater as a daily and pulling mine off the road and just getting it all done... suspension, engine, bodywork, absolutely everything.. rolling-shell it practically lol... Click here to enlarge... how nice the car used to be compared to how poor it is now, i can't stand it any more Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

if i don't get a work car soon (fingers crossed) as soon as overtime/away work picks up steam again, i'll most likely get some sort of really beater to daily drive in until i do

not to mention moving house in a month, nfi how i'm going to deal with moving the engine/gearbox, probably not going to have a double garage Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

oh and a word of warning to all potential AUS visitors: kangaroos are not amazing cute animals you want to see

they're the devil's minions, they're like the deer of australia (we have deer just not road-traversing mainly), if you're driving, they are the enemy, they WILL hit your car if there are headlights, and they will mess your $#@! up.. >:@

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

oh and a word of warning to all potential AUS visitors: kangaroos are not amazing cute animals you want to see

they're the devil's minions, they're like the deer of australia (we have deer just not road-traversing mainly), if you're driving, they are the enemy, they WILL hit your car if there are headlights, and they will mess your $#@! up.. >:@
    keep your funds for your car, buy a pile of $#@! and get around, nobody is judging. Thats what I'd do, considering the funds you'll be requiring.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast