Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Losing Boost/Wastegates? HELP!

I'll start by saying what I have done to my car. 08 135i

JB4, cpe catless dps, berk resinated mids with street axelback, cpe charge pipe with tial bov, DCI, and ETS 5" FMIC.

Im currenty switching to cobb for a protune by jake, but before doing so I have been noticing wastegate issues. Im hoping you guys have some input.

Most of the time i'm crusing on the highway (partial throttle) when the exhaust note of my car dramatically changes and my boost (fuel gauge highjack) drops from about 4psi to 0 and if I give it a little gas it usually comes right back. Several occasions last 20-30 seconds. Usually happens if the car is going up a slight hill. Do you think my wastegates are taking a crap? Half or full throttle have no issues at all. The problem has become more present the past 2 months after my intercooler install. I have noticed it before that, but not as much.

I hope someone has some input!

Thank you.
    josh.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Vacuum leak maybe?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

is there any way to check for that or something that is known to cause a vacuum leak?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Bump to get you some answers
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Burtonrider22 Click here to enlarge
    is there any way to check for that or something that is known to cause a vacuum leak?
    I believe there is. @JamesM3M5 or @Itsbrokeagain would know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you run it hard do you get leak codes? If not then i would first try to run it stock or bypass mode and see.
    E92 AT. COBB S2+ , FBOs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Voila: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13114 You can check your wastegates by applying vacuum to the line that goes directly to the actuator. I think it was 5.9" Hg, and the WG should be pretty much fully seated. Then, vacuum test your lines and canisters, and solenoids.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

thank you!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I'm going to check for codes again, but the last time I checked they werent present. Ill try running it on map 0 and see if that makes a difference. It seems like ill be doing a vacuum test on the wastegates. Thanks for all the help guys. This is driving me nuts. I drove my car three times yesterday. first the car was cold and drove for about an half hour and it was doing it non stop the whole time. went in a store for a bit then drove home without any issues. It sounds like I'm on map 8 and have no boost.

Only good thing is if my wastegates are shot I may as well throw on rbs or vargas turbos while its apart.

thanks again guys. ill keep updating.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Hey Josh, the above advice is good on checking out your wg solenoids. They've gone bad for quite a few people in the last while that I know of on/off the boards. You could also set the JB to map zero and do some datalogs on stage2+agg datalogging wgdc for both banks along with wgdc after pid and wgdc base and send them over to us for review any time

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

+1, that was my problem. I was working with Dzenno for a while on a map and we couldn't hit boost up top. I went crazy trying to find the problem. Ended up being the solenoids. 1 hr of labor and I was overboosting Click here to enlarge
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

FWIW, my solenoid for the front turbo is going bad too. Original solenoids 115k on them. Should probably add it to the 80km "things to check" list.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

they're so cheap might as well replace em both. i just replaced both of mine recently
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge