Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Lol, I'm not knocking the fact that you tuned the factory computer; that's awesome. I'm just saying the price sucks for the performance. Yeah, I know HPF costs more, but guess what: they're over priced too.
    The factory DME tuning isn't just awesome, it's something nobody has done. Everyone else struggled with the part throttle partial load tuning. Nobody else got it down. So, that's a major step.

Secondly, where else are you going to get just under 500 whp on pump only for $9.5k?

HPF will outpower this, yes, considerably even but it will take the Stage 2 with meth won't it?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Lol, I'm not knocking the fact that you tuned the factory computer; that's awesome. I'm just saying the price sucks for the performance. Yeah, I know HPF costs more, but guess what: they're over priced too.
    You probably don't understand what either company has done, or the costs involved.

Can you quantify what your reference point is please?
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mikecoupe Click here to enlarge
    Mid-elevens is better as:

60' - 1.920
    330' - 5.304
    1/8 - 8.018
    MPH - 89.99
    1000' - 10.335
    1/4 - 12.282
    MPH - 116.70

Do you remember?Click here to enlarge
    LOL, yeah online stalker, I remember that.

1) Not my best run
    2) I didn't spend anywhere near 10k to do it.
    3) Didn't even spend 5k to do it

Different platform, totally irrelevant, so what's your point?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    You probably don't understand what either company has done, or the costs involved.

Can you quantify what your reference point is please?
    Maybe not. Maybe I don't understand the amount of hardware necessary, or the complexities involved on this platform. So let's instead flip this question so that I can understand; please tell me why it costs so much to turbo a 13 year old car. I'm not setting you up for an argument, I'm genuinely curious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Eleventeen, you're judging the price of a kit by it's hardware and peak HP? A 3.2 motor making nearly 470 RWHP at 8 psi? That's nearly 550 flywheel hp, practically better power to weight ratio than the new M5...and just as driveable by looking at the torque curve. Plus you can pass emissions legally, beat on it and not worry thanks to Nicks attention to detail with his tuning. Slow your role man and do a little research before jumping to conclusions, if they wanted to make 700 rwhp, they could. That's not what this kit was intended for.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here's something to think about eleventeen. 1000 hours of tuning/development time (or 6 months at 40 hours per week for 1 person) at a rate of $100 per hour(or $200,000 per year) is $100,000. Assuming they make $2000 profit per kit, that means they need to sell 50 kits just to pay the tuner. How many kits do you think HPF has sold? maybe 150 total? I remember Chris at HPF saying he had 750k invested in his kit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
    Here's something to think about eleventeen. 1000 hours of tuning/development time (or 6 months at 40 hours per week for 1 person) at a rate of $100 per hour(or $200,000 per year) is $100,000. Assuming they make $2000 profit per kit, that means they need to sell 50 kits just to pay the tuner. How many kits do you think HPF has sold? maybe 150 total? I remember Chris at HPF saying he had 750k invested in his kit.
    Thank you!

Finally somebody who's taken the time to do simple math and evaluate what it really costs to bring something like this to market. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NickG Click here to enlarge
    Thank you!

Finally somebody who's taken the time to do simple math and evaluate what it really costs to bring something like this to market. Click here to enlarge
    I'd try to pay you in beers and tacos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So did Maximum PSI Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So did Maximum PSI Click here to enlarge
    See now this is how the tuning business should work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Correct. When I designed the HPF kit there was much time I invested. About 35 mins Pluto time which is about 35 months earth time.

Thank you!

Yes he see's the truth. Very few posting about DSM kitted cars that are far cheaper to mod do not understand that you are working with a bmw dme.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    but, but, but...realistically nickG probably gets paid a certain percentage of each kit sold, and not a lump sum. the rest probably goes towards mike's taco budget.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the rest probably goes towards mike's taco budget.
    And this is what is truly important.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Don't $#@! with a man's tacos...just saying.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin Click here to enlarge
    Don't $#@! with a man's tacos...just saying.
    Seriously, this is a rule to live by. Can't respect a man who takes the tacos of another man.

One day I hope to share tacos with you all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Seriously, this is a rule to live by. Can't respect a man who takes the tacos of another man.

One day I hope to share tacos with you all.
    Hi 5
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Hi 5
    And hard shells for you my friend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    LOL... Giggity!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @NickG how hard would it be to make a DME tune like this for the N52? I have no personal interest but I do remember talking to Michael and he mentioned that they had made a kit for HPF for the N52 but never got a tune for it. Here is a link to the VERY old thread. Just bring it up because if it were possible you should link up:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=turbo+n52

Please refrain from posting in this thread, as its 7 years old already.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    @NickG how hard would it be to make a DME tune like this for the N52? I have no personal interest but I do remember talking to Michael and he mentioned that they had made a kit for HPF for the N52 but never got a tune for it. Here is a link to the VERY old thread. Just bring it up because if it were possible you should link up:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=turbo+n52

He does work with E46's and turbos not the E9X's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just a general comment:

Since this kit is using a tuned DME, I think it would be a nice option for some people to also have an SMG software upgrade for use with this kit?

Just an idea....not sure if the market demographics would support the R&D costs of developing this...
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    how hard would it be to make a DME tune like this for the N52? I have no personal interest but I do remember talking to Michael and he mentioned that they had made a kit for HPF for the N52 but never got a tune for it. Here is a link to the VERY old thread. Just bring it up because if it were possible you should link up:

The answer to your question is yes, it can be done to the N52. But considering there's a factory turbocharged E90/92 car available, it makes no financial sense to build a turbo kit for the N52.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any new news on this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mike made a post that he was offering demo rides to anyone in the Fort Lauderdale area about 4 to 5 weeks ago when he was in the area with the car and freshly tuned (Nick G Pompano Beach) turbo kit.
    I think I was the only guy to take him up on that great offer.
    I was thrilled to be a part of history really. I think it is a bit ground breaking the direction Max PSI has taken with this offering.
    I met up with Mike for lunch on Ravenswood Road and promptly lead him into a nice traffic jam on I-595. LOL
    Despite the traffic I was able to really experience a couple of key areas that impressed me.
    The darn thing starts to get into boost right at 2500 rpm and is almost at full boost (not max HP but full boost) at 3000rpm.

he demonstrated sixth gear roll ons from a a very slow mph and rpm(about 2300). Man, was that impressive how smooth and seamless the power just ramps up. No fuss, no muss, no meth to worry about. Very cool.
    Then he got serious when we had an open area (closed course of course!). We did a brief but very quick run from a dig. It was no 800rwhp HPF testicles being sucked up sort of deal. But it DID twist my breathing and diaphragm. It felt much quicker than say a 500rwhp Super Charger run.

From what I saw and experienced, anyone on the fence over SC or turbo....well this is a game changer. The linear SC like response is incredible, just better, faster and a LOT more fun IMO.
    No contest. This simple, yet effective kit is a winner. THE winner.

I happen to have a brief 720i HD video of the run from a dig on Youtube. It was pretty cloudy. I had to convert some fancy HD files to MP4 or .avi(I forget), but its fairly watchable and gives you an idea. Mike is the only one talking. The high pitched sounding like a balloon hissing air is me not being able to breath too well with my gut muscle strained by some fairly decent acceleration. ("....jeeeze!")

I have NO financial interest what so ever in Max PSI. I am just telling it like I saw it. Now you can see some of it too in my video. I hope some of you at least enjoy it.

Mike, thanks for the ride and the conversation. I had a LOT of fun! I defitely learned a LOT about what a little simple turbo set up can actually do! A whole lot more than most people could ever realize was possible.

the above is my video

the above is Nick's video done much earlier. Some things changed (for the better) since he posted that video.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Just a general comment:

Since this kit is using a tuned DME, I think it would be a nice option for some people to also have an SMG software upgrade for use with this kit?

Just an idea....not sure if the market demographics would support the R&D costs of developing this...
    I just dont understand the 10 minute rule for editing. I was not able to insert this in my previous post. Therefore I am forced to do a double post. Sorry.

The DME is not used for software updates to the SMG. That is done via a separate SMG box. I had mine done. Not a lot of outfits have this capability. VERY few in fact. The hot ticket is to get CSL SMG software downloaded. The resulting shift times are simply incredible. ESS charges a fortune for this. Dont get it from them. Use this guy in PA. NO CHARGE!
    Real BMW CSL SMG software, ANYONE with an SMG simply must have this upgrade. It is a HUGE difference. The following is an M5 board link. Three series CSL SMG is available too!

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...trol-free.html

The LAUNCH function parameters are re written MUCH more aggressive too!

EAS also offers this for about 200usd. I dont have a link. Easy enough to find. GET this software!!!!
    Last edited by Bdave; 10-17-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast