Close

View Poll Results: Does the public want a Vargas single turbo upgrade or twin turbo upgrade?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vargas TT upgrade with Garrett GTX2863R

64 82.05%
  • Vargas ST upgrade with BW EFR 8374

14 17.95%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
    Theoretically, with a twin GTX2863r setup, when would full boost be achieved on a N54?
    @VargasTurboTech any comment on this? For those of us looking for a quicker spool and a little less power, will there be another set of turbos using the same flange? Or is it stage 2 or 3 and that's it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    @VargasTurboTech any comment on this? For those of us looking for a quicker spool and a little less power, will there be another set of turbos using the same flange? Or is it stage 2 or 3 and that's it?
    It is hard to say exactly without testing. But Dzenno did some number crunching a while back and came up with 1700-2000 for 13-15 PSI I believe. This remains to be seen. The great thing about using the GT / GTX package is, I am going to offer multiple variations of the stage 3 all using the same package. So you want a middle of the road set up go with the GTX2863 they are claimed by garrett to support 425 each. You want quicker spool and less power go with the smaller GTX2860 400 each, or go with the biggest set up the GTX2867 they support 475 each. I will also be offering 3 options in the straight GT series with no billet wheel for a reduced price. So basically you will have 6 options and they all are exactly the same size package wise, just the internals change. Makes for a very flexible system, because not everyone has the same goals.
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 09-26-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Edited for more accurate numbers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    It is hard to say exactly without texting. But Dzenno did some number crunching a while back and came up with 1700-2000 for full boost I believe. This remains to be seen. The great thing about using the GT / GTX package is, I am going to offer multiple variations of the stage 3 all using the same package. So you want a middle of the road set up go with the GTX2863 they are claimed by garrett to support 425 each. You want quicker spool and less power go with the smaller GTX2860 400 each, or go with the biggest set up the GTX2867 they support 475 each. I will also be offering 3 options in the straight GT series with no billet wheel for a reduced price. So basically you will have 6 options and they all are exactly the same size package wise, just the internals change. Makes for a very flexible system, because not everyone has the same goals.
    WOW.... This
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    It is hard to say exactly without texting. But Dzenno did some number crunching a while back and came up with 1700-2000 for full boost I believe. This remains to be seen. The great thing about using the GT / GTX package is, I am going to offer multiple variations of the stage 3 all using the same package. So you want a middle of the road set up go with the GTX2863 they are claimed by garrett to support 425 each. You want quicker spool and less power go with the smaller GTX2860 400 each, or go with the biggest set up the GTX2867 they support 475 each. I will also be offering 3 options in the straight GT series with no billet wheel for a reduced price. So basically you will have 6 options and they all are exactly the same size package wise, just the internals change. Makes for a very flexible system, because not everyone has the same goals.
    I would be happy with full boost by 4k lol, but I love the approach that you are taking with this. You definitely have a future customer if this comes to fruition. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome. I am looking for full boost by 3,250-3,500 and 550-600whp. Sounds like I am on the lower end here. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Let me be very clear. I CANNOT verify those RPM numbers and they seem VERY low to me. But I remember something along those lines was posted in the old twins post. When he was working with Mat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    But Dzenno did some number crunching a while back and came up with 1700-2000 for full boost I believe.
    It wasn't that low as far as I remember. I'll try to dig those calculations up. Of course, its all theory and real world may/will be, well, real world.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    It wasn't that low as far as I remember. I'll try to dig those calculations up. Of course, its all theory and real world may/will be, well, real world.
    Thank you sir. I hate throwing untested numbers around. And thanks for the email. You def keep me focused on the prize whenever I talk to you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here's where those compressor maps were discussed and calculations were done:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...or+map+gtx2863
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There it is, that's what I remembered seeing. "13 PSI by 1500 RPM". Seriously sorry guys, that was some serious garbage I just threw out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There it is, that's what I remembered seeing. "13 PSI by 1500 RPM". Seriously sorry guys, that was some serious garbage I just threw out.
    Don't worry. I am a mechanical engineer. Threw that number right out the window. Was complimenting you on having multiple options available in stage 3. I am aiming for something with 3,250-3,500 full boost without tricks so I suspect these will work.

If you want spool any earlier that that we'd probably need to do sequential turbo of sorts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I think my questions were missed....
    Haha. I honestly enjoy reading all this. It doesn't discourage me. At least people are passionate about the platform. I can assure everyone I am doing my best to make this happen, and honestly it looks completely feasible now that I have 2 cars and have seen the room we have. There will be some issues but nothing that cant be over come.
    I dont suppose there is enough room on an xi car? I would imagine the axle would be in the way for anything but the stock turbo setup? Will the xi guys be stuck with a set of stage 2's due to the lack of room, or do you think it may be possible to squeeze in a set of Garretts? Click here to enlarge
    2008 BMW 335xi Coupe... 11.988 @ 114.80 w/1.59 60'
    19" Avant Garde M310 Wheels w/ 235/35 & 275/30 G-Max AS-03 tires ~ KW V1 Coilovers
    BMS JB4 G5 ~ BMS WW meth kit ~ BMS OCC ~ ER Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV ~ Stett CAI ~ Helix FMIC ~ AR Design DP
    Aero Front Lip ~ Black Kidney Grills ~ Painted Lowers ~ Painted Reflectors ~ Aluminum Pedals ~ BMS angle eyes ~ 35% tint

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Aww. If the TT's are successful would you then consider a ST for the other 20% who voted? Single turbo inline 6's just sound so yummy!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by infliktyd135i Click here to enlarge
    Aww. If the TT's are successful would you then consider a ST for the other 20% who voted? Single turbo inline 6's just sound so yummy!
    Vishnu already has a single turbo kit on the market and HPF is supposedly finalizing theirs.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Doesn't a single that shiv offers spool under 3000k at full boost?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Vishnu already has a single turbo kit on the market and HPF is supposedly finalizing theirs.
    Yes but as it's been mentioned before, competition can be good for the consumer and helps drive innovation. Plus the way it "appears", Vargas has the ability to bring products to the community at a better cost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onesuperboi Click here to enlarge
    Doesn't a single that shiv offers spool under 3000k at full boost?
    Lol, good one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Todd135i Click here to enlarge
    Yes but as it's been mentioned before, competition can be good for the consumer and helps drive innovation. Plus the way it "appears", Vargas has the ability to bring products to the community at a better cost.
    Well, you gotta be patient if you want a single from Vargas, because the majority wants twins. I'm just saying the people who want a single already have options whereas those who want twins don't.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Tony - is there any love for the RHD guys? I'm sure there would be a few of us interested in the stage 3!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Well, you gotta be patient if you want a single from Vargas, because the majority wants twins. I'm just saying the people who want a single already have options whereas those who want twins don't.
    I can understand that. I'm actually not against either option. I'm looking forward to any option that will get me near to the performance I was use to.
    I'm just playing devil's advocate with both. I would just hate for any option to be taken off the table.
    From a cost standpoint though (for the consumer and vendor), it "appears" as if the single would be cheaper yet still offer amazing performance Click here to enlarge

Ok, I'm buying another N54, I'll take both...lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dontask Click here to enlarge
    Tony - is there any love for the RHD guys? I'm sure there would be a few of us interested in the stage 3!
    + 1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From a tuning standpoint, it'll be easier to tune a single than twins unless VTT can keep the same design as oem. But I have no doubt that if someone makes a good set of twins that fit in the space provided, then COBB and others will figure out the tuning.

Good luck. Excited to see where this leads.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123