Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Oil catch can performance question???

How much cleaner will your valves stay with an OCC? Has anyone with an OCC cleaned their valves yet and taken photos? I haven't seen anyone mention it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

An OCC will not prevent all oil from getting into your intake valves. Basically it will delay the inevitable
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    An OCC will not prevent all oil from getting into your intake valves. Basically it will delay the inevitable
    Even if you empty it and whatnot? How much does it clean things up?

I saw picks of just how much oil was in it posted in sort of a timelapse and it sure looked like it was doing a hell of a job.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Delays, you'll still have oil pass through the OEM PCV valve which will lead to clogged valves. I have a BMS OCC installed now, it'll stay on until I get my intake valves cleaned, at which time I'll install the RB PCV upgrade. After 10k of hard driven miles, I'll see if the OCC is effective or if the PCV upgrade is doing the job (check the can for oil levels, the CP to see if there's oil residue, etc).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is the RB PVC upgrade and what is it supposed to do?
    I have never heard of it but if it slows or stops the valve carbon build up I am all for it...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Higher quality PCV valve that reduces oil blow through compared to the OEM PCV. I don't remember Rob ever publicizing it on this forum, but here's the thread over on N54 Tech

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15382

You can page through it, look at pictures of the actual piece & read some 1st hand reviews in the thread. Unfortunately I haven't found the time to install mine so it's sitting in the trunk in the same envelop it was shipped in & now I think I'll just wait until I get the intake valves cleaned @ 50k (~8k away). I'm pretty sure that @dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks has it installed on his car

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks I will go check that out. I have 54K miles on mine and I should borescope my valves to see how bad they are.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Even if you empty it and whatnot? How much does it clean things up?

I saw picks of just how much oil was in it posted in sort of a timelapse and it sure looked like it was doing a hell of a job.
    Some cars need it more than others. Bigtom for instance sees a lot of blow by and his can gets full pretty quick. My OCC didn't catch anything in 10 months (barely coated...).

With that said, it helps some more than others but it's not a 100% efficient system, some oil will always go through and hence the delay of the inevitable.

(sorry for the late reply)
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I have no occ and I have 54k miles, car idles smooth as he'll and runs great. I plan to get my valves cleaned in the winter time....I'll be anxious to see how dirty they are. IMO the OCC isn't really needed.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I'm hoping someone with the upgraded pcv will chime in. I didn't know such an option was out there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I cleaned my valves about 15k miles ago, and just checked again last weekend. I had wet oil residue from all 6 PCV ports in the intake ports. I cleaned them again, and I'm upgrading to the RB PCV valve. I also think that @themyst recommendation to check/replace the VC gasket is right on, as well, since the PCV oil separators are inside the VC, and a faulty gasket seal can cause individual ports to leak vacuum/boost and cause it to draw excessive oil/crankcase vapors. At least that's what I'm suspecting. Rob Beck has done a lot of investigation on the PCV system of the N54, as has Dzenno.

The other thing to check is to replace the pipe that runs from the back of the VC PCV port to the rear turbo inlet pipe. After one year, my rear turbo compressor outlet has a trace of oil and dirt on it again. That PCV pipe should have a suction limiting valve that may be gunked up slightly, also allowing excessive crankcase vapors to be pulled into the rear turbo compressor.

An OCC only addresses one part of the PCV system. I would agree with @bobS that you probably don't need an OCC, just a properly functioning PCV system and a clean engine.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zeenon53 Click here to enlarge
    I'm hoping someone with the upgraded pcv will chime in. I didn't know such an option was out there.
    +1, Didn't know about it. I have my bms occ installed. When i checked it after 3-3.5 months , there was a teeny bit of oil at the bottom and there was an oily residue on the intlet side of the can. The outlet side was bone dry.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    Some cars need it more than others. Bigtom for instance sees a lot of blow by and his can gets full pretty quick. My OCC didn't catch anything in 10 months (barely coated...).
    What accounts for the large difference between you and him?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stucks Click here to enlarge
    +1, Didn't know about it. I have my bms occ installed. When i checked it after 3-3.5 months , there was a teeny bit of oil at the bottom and there was an oily residue on the intlet side of the can. The outlet side was bone dry.
    That means it's working.

How aggressively you drive the car & how the PCV is holding up on each car. It's a cheap plastic part that doesn't guarantee it'll hold up, kinda like the OEM DVs + CP. Some cars they hold up, other cars they break the minute you add a tune Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

@JamesM3M5, curious what your expereinces with the RB PCV will be. I've had my RB PCV valve in for 5k km, and I now have oil consumption.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    How aggressively you drive the car & how the PCV is holding up on each car. It's a cheap plastic part that doesn't guarantee it'll hold up, kinda like the OEM DVs + CP. Some cars they hold up, other cars they break the minute you add a tune Click here to enlarge
    +1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    That means it's working.
    Yup, my point exactly.