Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is the diference in whp of BMW performance intake to the aftermarket???

For a 335i 08'
    Last edited by JomarPR335R; 07-10-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: F

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

I have not seen a dyno of the BMW performance intake.

Here is the BMS dual cone intake:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Gains are about 13 whp. It is considered the best value in intakes and one of the best performing.

The BMW intake looks like this:

Click here to enlarge

This is what BMW says about the gains:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMW Performance
    Upgrading to a BMW Performance Air Intake System will unleash gains of up to 3 horsepower and 3 ft-lbs. of torque, while also helping the engine to operate more efficiently with a 30% reduction in back pressure and increased overall performance.
    So, about 3 hp, might as well make it 3 whp. It is also about $1100 and just honestly a waste. I also do not see it as available for the N54, only N52. You are better off with the DCI from BMS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, the BMW Performance intake is not for the N54.

I think the best intake thus far for the N54 is the Dinan one. Mr. 5 on e90 post made his own custom intake similar to the Dinan one and says he has better gains than the typical dual cone intake.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The dinan Intake isn't worth the cost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OK.....

BMS is the wayyyy!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    According to Dinan, it's only a 14hp/16 ft.lb torque for a grand. http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=413&page=1

Seems like BMS is the better value for a fifth of the cost.

Dinan also tends to overrate their products. A lot. BMS has the dyno to prove it, so...

Building off this a bit, what if one were to get the BMS DCI, install the RPi scoops, and get a K&N filter. Are any of the latter two mods unnecessary? I figured the more air going in....you know..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Is it just me.....but has anyone ever noticed that the peak boost pressure varies by 0.5 psi on that dyno?

Maybe the hotter air is impacting the air temperature compensation system since the DME will raise boost as the air gets hotter.

So can you really say that the power increase is purely due to the DCI's if boost is not constant?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Intakes are a complicated subject for the N54. On a stock tune the only thing you can really do is lower power with a DCI. Depending on the brand you are Only introducing heat (higher IAT's) and the stock intercooler really doesn't have any extra cooling capability. If you are running a tune both Shiv and Terry recommend you upgrade your intake. The cheap DCI (read BMS style) works because all the tune is looking for is more air, hot or otherwise.
    Without writing a novel, the Dinan CAI is an excellent choice and usually agreed upon as the best production option currently. The primary point of concern is the cost with the Dinan as it is about $1000 plus tax and install.

It really depends on what you are looking to do with your car, what mods you currently have, and how much coin you are willing to spend.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DCAFS Click here to enlarge
    Is it just me.....but has anyone ever noticed that the peak boost pressure varies by 0.5 psi on that dyno?

Maybe the hotter air is impacting the air temperature compensation system since the DME will raise boost as the air gets hotter.

So can you really say that the power increase is purely due to the DCI's if boost is not constant?
    You raise a very interesting point. No idea why there is about a half pound variance.