Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Question: Secondary cats

I made a thread last week asking about doing a resonator delete, but now I would like to see what you guys have to say about doing a secondary cat delete. (With CL DP's)

Questions:
    -Will the actual "turbo spooling" be louder if you gutted the secondaries along with running the DP? (Really interested in this one)
    -On the E90 with the factory resonator, will there be any unbearable rasp/drone where I need to worry about vibrant resonators?
    -Is this a better option than resonator delete Magnaflow XPipe with CL DP's, as far as backpressure/HP gains/etc?

Thanks for all the advice. I would really like to have a setup that allows for the loudest possible turbo noise, because it's almost silent right now Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bumpy

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    -Will the actual "turbo spooling" be louder if you gutted the secondaries along with running the DP? (Really interested in this one
    No, if you want more spool sound get a DCI, you will get more "garbling" when slowing down/downshifting
    -On the E90 with the factory resonator, will there be any unbearable rasp/drone where I need to worry about vibrant resonators?
    Shouldn't be. It will be louder though, and I6 are "raspy" by nature.
    -Is this a better option than resonator delete Magnaflow XPipe with CL DP's, as far as backpressure/HP gains/etc?
    Both will get you very small gains in HP. Just a sound thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Taking the secondaries out will give you more turbo noise out the exhaust, but any intake setup and catless downpipes is where the majority of the sound increase comes from.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks guys. I have the DCI, just wondering if going CL DP/secondary delete will be louder with the spooling than the CL DP only

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bump for more opinions! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you are planning to remove them completely and weld in some straight pipes your going to be in for a surprise.
    Bad smell, loud raspy sound on WOT, more visible smoke. I had them done once and put in some resonators the next day.
    NO perfomance increase, max 5whp. Which you would get from 20 degrees drop in temps.
    E92 AT. COBB S2+ , FBOs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah I removed sec cats and put in resonators. Smoke and smell is too much for my taste with almost no performance gain. I think I'm putting in race cats.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good info. Looks like i'll just do a resonator delete then

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd actually keep the resonator on. It keeps the rasp down. If you're just looking for exhaust note go with an axel back like BMW pe, Remus, Eisenman or akropovic.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You won't get much spool noise in the cabin with the 2nd cat delete, but you will get a more aggressive exhaust note that's a bit more gurgly. I'm not sure how well the e90 OE resonator keeps rasp at bay, but I got a feeling it should do a decent job. I've noticed that a loud exhaust often overshadows spool sound. A car blew by me the other day and I heard no aggressive roar, no deep sound, just the sweet sexy tune of what sounded like a big single gone wild. It sounded AMAZING actually and was such a sleeper.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have no sec cats with divorced piping / no resonator, but with primary cats still on and stock mufflers(need to get rid of asap). I like it but in the lower rpms it dosent sound all that good till it hits 3k+ rpms..
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    sorry to threadjack but do you think using a 2step limiter without primary cats but still having secondaries would be dangerous?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kkashanchi Click here to enlarge
    sorry to threadjack but do you think using a 2step limiter without primary cats but still having secondaries would be dangerous?
    There was a thread on this (search) but I think the primaries are the main concern in that situation. Ideally you would want to be catless but the secondaries are further downstream so safer.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    You won't get much spool noise in the cabin with the 2nd cat delete, but you will get a more aggressive exhaust note that's a bit more gurgly. I'm not sure how well the e90 OE resonator keeps rasp at bay, but I got a feeling it should do a decent job. I've noticed that a loud exhaust often overshadows spool sound. A car blew by me the other day and I heard no aggressive roar, no deep sound, just the sweet sexy tune of what sounded like a big single gone wild. It sounded AMAZING actually and was such a sleeper.
    Thanks. So would you say that the DCI and the c**less downpipe are the only mods that add to the spooling?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Thanks. So would you say that the DCI and the c**less downpipe are the only mods that add to the spooling?
    Bigger turbos Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Bigger turbos Click here to enlarge
    Well, yea lol. $$