Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    905
    Rep Points
    795.7
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pcockley Click here to enlarge
    why you smart arse? is there a doc on the non M DCT? do the cars have different engines with different TQ characteristics? are the output shafts different? why would you assume they are the same?

    If someone has the non M DCT doc that would be helpful to see what the differences are and if there is a way of 'building' the DCT for a high TQ N54.
    I know you were replying to Sticky but couple of things I will like to address. As mentioned before the only difference between the M-DCT and the Non M-DCT is the programing. So if we need a DCT we can easily salvage one off a DCT M3. The only things we need to swap out from the M3 DCT is the mechatronics and the output flang as they are not compatible with the N54 DCT due to a different DME and driveshaft.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pcockley Click here to enlarge
    why you smart arse?
    why you dumb arse?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pcockley Click here to enlarge
    is there a doc on the non M DCT? do the cars have different engines with different TQ characteristics? are the output shafts different? why would you assume they are the same?
    It's not an assumption, internally it's the same transmission.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pcockley Click here to enlarge
    and if there is a way of 'building' the DCT for a high TQ N54.
    What do you mean if there is a way? It's pretty simple, you put in the higher torque capacity clutch discs that already exist considering it's the same damn model. TaDa, there's how you do it!

    It's fine to have a discussion dedicated to the N54.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    I know you were replying to Sticky but couple of things I will like to address. As mentioned before the only difference between the M-DCT and the Non M-DCT is the programing. So if we need a DCT we can easily salvage one off a DCT M3. The only things we need to swap out from the M3 DCT is the mechatronics and the output flang as they are not compatible with the N54 DCT due to a different DME and driveshaft.
    Yep.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    26
    Rep Points
    73.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    not that i doubt you, but what proof do you have that they have the same internals? again, is there a NON m DCT guide as per the one posted?

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pcockley Click here to enlarge
    not that i doubt you, but what proof do you have that they have the same internals? again, is there a NON m DCT guide as per the one posted?
    It's a Getrag unit, same model number: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...046#post151046

    You can go on Getrag's page or e-mail them for confirmation as well.

    BMW doesn't put a different unit in the M3, then Z4, then 135, then 335, etc, the cost would be huge. They buy these transmissions in bulk from the supplier so to speak to keep costs down.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    26
    Rep Points
    73.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    thankyou. so if heating becomes a problem you could fit the m3 air/oil cooler to cool the DCT

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pcockley Click here to enlarge
    thankyou. so if heating becomes a problem you could fit the m3 air/oil cooler to cool the DCT
    The M3 cooler is a piece of $#@!, it's the exact same thing as used for the manual tranny. It won't help anyone, you need an upgraded cooler.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,826
    Rep Points
    -68.0
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Is the TCU a separate unit in the DCT as opposed to the submerged mechatronic/TCU integrated combination of the 6hp21? Is there any technical information or model number/manufacturer of the DCT TCU?

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Is the TCU a separate unit in the DCT as opposed to the submerged mechatronic/TCU integrated combination of the 6hp21? Is there any technical information or model number/manufacturer of the DCT TCU?
    All I know is it is made by Getrag and it looks like this:

    Click here to enlarge
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    And here:

    Click here to enlarge
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    243
    Rep Points
    906.5
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This is the exact same DCT found in the M3, 335iS, 135i, 135iS, & Z435iS
    NOT
    exact same!!
    The same only clutch.
    1) m3 DCT have cooling system, n54 DCT not have.
    2)
    Mount to the engine are different
    3) Both DCT have GS40 ECU, but they have different HW numbers.
    4) Set of gears on N54 longer than S65

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    905
    Rep Points
    795.7
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ncat10 Click here to enlarge
    This is the exact same DCT found in the M3, 335iS, 135i, 135iS, & Z435iS
    NOT
    exact same!!
    The same only clutch.
    1) m3 DCT have cooling system, n54 DCT not have.
    2)
    Mount to the engine are different
    3) Both DCT have GS40 ECU, but they have different HW numbers.
    4) Set of gears on N54 longer than S65
    1) because the N54 comes with an OC "system" that is share with DCT.
    2)
    are you sure about that or does it have cross platform mounts ?
    3) the reason for the difference in hardware number is due to the output shafts and mechatronics to distinguish it from the N54 and S65 applications
    4) Thats not due to the DCT itself, its due to post output shaft

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    N.C. U.S.A
    Posts
    279
    Rep Points
    750.7
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Having no cooling adaptors is as simple as pipe plugs in the fittings to seal the connection.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    352
    Rep Points
    320.7
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    2) are you sure about that or does it have cross platform mounts ?
    Bellhousing bolts are different. Cant bolt a trans from a v8 up to a I6 unless you make a custom bellhousing.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    N.C. U.S.A
    Posts
    279
    Rep Points
    750.7
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    The point is not the casing but the internals & their control system. If (big IF) they are the same then its just a software difference. A casing & output shaft difference between the M3 & 335 would account for a different part number prefix or suffix.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    352
    Rep Points
    320.7
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Flashing the m3 m-dct software into the 335is dct is possible, however its never going to work correctly without programming all of the modules that talk to it to m3 software as well. Good luck with that, its half the car. dsc, shifter, cluster, jbe, dme... oh wait, cant program the dme to m3 software.

    Sounds like its not ever going to work.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    905
    Rep Points
    795.7
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMWJunkie Click here to enlarge
    Flashing the m3 m-dct software into the 335is dct is possible, however its never going to work correctly without programming all of the modules that talk to it to m3 software as well. Good luck with that, its half the car. dsc, shifter, cluster, jbe, dme... oh wait, cant program the dme to m3 software.

    Sounds like its not ever going to work.
    Why would anyone want to do that ? The software on the N54 DCT is geared to handle more torque than the S65 DCT software. It would be going backwards technically. The only thing worth while to pull from the M3 software is its RPM selection for LC being coded to the cruise control stick. Only rookies would need this on the N54 DCT

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,826
    Rep Points
    -68.0
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ncat10 Click here to enlarge
    This is the exact same DCT found in the M3, 335iS, 135i, 135iS, & Z435iS
    NOT
    exact same!!
    The same only clutch.
    1) m3 DCT have cooling system, n54 DCT not have.
    2)
    Mount to the engine are different
    3) Both DCT have GS40 ECU, but they have different HW numbers.
    4) Set of gears on N54 longer than S65

    Is there more information about the GS40 TCU? Who makes it? Getrag? Technical docs?

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    243
    Rep Points
    906.5
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Is there more information about the GS40 TCU? Who makes it? Getrag? Technical docs?
    Yes. This ECU from Gettrag. I can't find any technical data about this........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •