Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

N54 DCT Technical Data

The PDF was salvaged from the M3 Post side <---Click to view PDF

DCT Model # GS7D36SG

Clutch Pack Upgrade Provided by: SSP Performance

This is the exact same DCT found in the M3, 335iS, 135i, 135iS, & Z435iS

See PDF for more specifics and knowledge base. Information collected will be added "progressively"

DCT Hydraulic Clutch Pressure Data

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Page 43
    The operating pressure is determined by a regulated control valve depending on the load
    and the function selected. The system is protected by a pressure relief valve in the pump.
    The pressure is regulated according to the following priorities:
    Clutch engagement and disengagement
    Gear changes
    Cooling the clutch
    Lubrication cycle.
    The transmission oil pressure should be high enough to:
    Be able to engage the clutches reliably.
    Allow the gear selector rod to reach the required control shift speed.
    The normal operating pressure range is between 5 and 20 bar, although it can be
    increased up to 30 bar
    if necessary to maintain proper transmission operation.
    At maximum shifting force, the pressure required to operate the selector rods can be the
    same as the operating pressure.
    The pressure required for the clutches is limited to 18 bar. The clutch is regulated by an
    integrated proportioning valve.
    Overpressure protection is ensured by a pressure relief valve.
    Clutch cooling is map-controlled using a proportional valve.
    The 18 bar clutch pressure limitation is here specific to the M3. Being that the N54 DCT stock torque is significantly more, and launch control RPMs are set to 5k RPMs(static) then the 335iS bar pressure more than likely was increased.

The good news is when we add more power the clutch pressure can be increased to a max of 30 bar via Mechatronics reprograming.

Bar pressure is limited differently per model BMW series cars. So a M3 or a 135i example of clutch slippage will be inaccurate to determine when slippage will occure when adding more power to the N54 DCT (335iS and Z4-35iS)

The PDF attachment also educates when slippage can occure even on a stock DCT car. One prime example is overheating and what the DCT logic does with clutch pressure to cool down the transmission.

******* More To Add ******

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    DCT info!?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I love how info I already posted way ahead of them is suddenly now coming from them.

Buddy, I gave my trans to SSP to open up to develop the clutch pack and other internal upgrades as nobody else would. I already wrote an article detailing the model used.

For $#@!s sake...
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I love how info I already posted way ahead of them is suddenly now coming from them.

Buddy, I gave my trans to SSP to open up to develop the clutch pack and other internal upgrades as nobody else would. I already wrote an article detailing the model used.

For $#@!s sake...
    Dude you are seriously over reacting. I know you did an article on this, "specific to the M3". I read the entire book, however, people who have the N54 DCT will probably never find your article, thus being able to distinguish what applies to them or not. The main topic keeps coming up is DCT slippage and rumors ALWAYS using the M3 as an example to determine when slippage will occure on the N54 DCT.

You made an article specific to the M3 DCT and this is just a suppliment on the N54 DCT to make it more convienient and convientional instead of reading an entire book more inclined to M3 owners

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    however, people who have the N54 DCT will probably never find your article, thus being able to distinguish what applies to them or not.
    Why not? You can just link to it. It's on the forum isn't it?

Dude you are seriously over reacting.
    Perhaps I am. Maybe you would too if you gave your car to a company for two years only for others to take the info that was possible due to that sacrifice and distribute it without giving credit or citation.

You made an article specific to the M3 DCT and this is just a suppliment on the N54 DCT to make it more convienient and convientional instead of reading an entire book more inclined to M3 owners
    It's the same transmission, it isn't about N54 or M3 owners and isn't catered to one group the upgrades function for everyone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    sticky calm down ffs, rightly or wrongly i would assume the m3 dct if different and wouldn't even bother to read it. there is a very small user base for the dct and I for one welcome any N54 specific information, thanks to everyone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have had a read of the M-DCT document and (while i do not profess to understand most of it) I was wondering how much difference there is between the m-DCt and the non M-DCT??

Also is the air to oil cooler on the m able to be fitted to a non m e92??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why not? You can just link to it. It's on the forum isn't it?
    I did say I "salvaged" the PDF, didnt I ? Its obvious it came from a topic that was already brought up. I guess what your looking for is credit on the topic. Please add(since I cant edit) "Extracted from Sticky's M3 DCT Article (add link)"

Man thats all ya had to do, I am not tryng to steal your lime light on this. Reading your article help me with lauching my 335iS.

Perhaps I am. Maybe you would too if you gave your car to a company for two years only for others to take the info that was possible due to that sacrifice and distribute it without giving credit or citation.
    You shouldnt. Your sacrific has been acknowledged, and credit due . Please make the edit. FYI, some places I will not be able to post credit to you cause any mention of your name or site it will get deleted.

It's the same transmission, it isn't about N54 or M3 owners and isn't catered to one group the upgrades function for everyone.
    And you honestly think people will know this ? Come on man ! You do not have the experience on an N54 DCT as I do. It is a different "character" from the M3 DCT, and this is the reason for this post.

Rather than writing a log (you already did that), I am addressing existing misconceptions, conjectures and rumors on the N54 DCT

If I didnt believe in what you wrote in your article I would not be pursuing it, I am just taking it down another avenue

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pcockley Click here to enlarge
    I have had a read of the M-DCT document and (while i do not profess to understand most of it) I was wondering how much difference there is between the m-DCt and the non M-DCT??

There is no difference in the actuall DCT GS7D36SG. It is called M - DCT because the M3 version comes with DriveLogic which are selectable "program options" for D, S, and M modes including Launch Control.

The only "hardware" I can recall that is literally different is the DCT output flang that connected to the M3's drive shaft which is different from the N54 DCT output flang

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I assume you want to raise line pressure? People already do this with standard automatics. It only helps so much. What good is it to have a 3000lb pressure plate if I'm using cardboard for clutch pad material? Also, when you start upping line pressure transmissions start coming apart. It'll make your shifts more firm though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    I assume you want to raise line pressure? People already do this with standard automatics. It only helps so much. What good is it to have a 3000lb pressure plate if I'm using cardboard for clutch pad material? Also, when you start upping line pressure transmissions start coming apart. It'll make your shifts more firm though.
    Increasing the DCT bar clutch pressure would only be benificial after a clutch pack upgrade while adding more ft-lb, agreed.

If slippage is confirmed at 500 wtq during LC, or on dyno, on stock clutches, after the clutch upgrade the slippage will still occure near the same wtq if the bar pressure is not raised.

According to the DCT data, it can handle MAX 30 bar. M3 specific is is limited to 18 bar, and I doubt the 335iS is more than 20 bar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool stuff. I hope they get the DCT squared away for when the prices on 335is fall down to earth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Cool stuff. I hope they get the DCT squared away for when the prices on 335is fall down to earth.
    yeah, a part of me has wanted a 135i DCT for a while now. It's good to know that the DCT will be able to hold the TQ once/if a turbo upgrade ever comes out for the N55.
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    yeah, a part of me has wanted a 135i DCT for a while now. It's good to know that the DCT will be able to hold the TQ once/if a turbo upgrade ever comes out for the N55.
    Doesn't the 335iS still use the N54 rather than the N55?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Dreaming... Click here to enlarge Here is an N54 DCT log a customer sent in today. This is maybe 440wtq? Our N55 DCT slips like crazy as well at higher torque levels.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i would assume the m3 dct if different and wouldn't even bother to read it.
    You would assume it's different and not bother reading and learning? Wonderful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You shouldnt. Your sacrific has been acknowledged, and credit due .
    Bull$#@! on this one. You talk about the upgrade on m3post and nobody knows where it originated. I feel like slapping Jason sometimes.

And you honestly think people will know this ? Come on man ! You do not have the experience on an N54 DCT as I do. It is a different "character" from the M3 DCT, and this is the reason for this post.
    What so complicated about a model number? Yes, people should know this it was mentioned years ago.

N54 DCT, Z4 DCT, M3 DCT, all the same thing with software differences.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    Basically all you can do is up line pressure but it's good to know you can. You add discs from a better material, and really you can only add 2 as the BMW clutch basket isn't all that deep, and you will need to up the pressure significantly to get any use out of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge

agreed!!! I looked at them before picking up my mtech 09 e92... rediculous how much they cost IMO... esp new.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bull$#@! on this one. You talk about the upgrade on m3post and nobody knows where it originated. I feel like slapping Jason sometimes.
    I already told you, he deletes threads with any reference to you or bimmerboost. He also has it setup to block links to this site. How do I know this, well, because I tried to do it. Here is a perfect example: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=18

Sticky, all I can say is thank you for your efforts and this thread with your build. I am going to move forward with doing the BMW DCT clutch pack upgrade for the DCT 335iS in preps for a Twin Turbo Upgrade.
    and I gave you props on laying down the foundations for this, so your workd as not been ignored

What so complicated about a model number? Yes, people should know this it was mentioned years ago.

N54 DCT, Z4 DCT, M3 DCT, all the same thing with software differences.
    Years ago you did not know what caused slippage on the N54 DCT specific. The purpose of this post is to help N54 DCT owner better understand whats going on and perhaps what they are doing wrong.

Lets move on bro, and leave it as, I will make sure to give you credit due.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Years ago you did not know what caused slippage on the N54 DCT specific. The purpose of this post is to help N54 DCT owner better understand whats going on and perhaps what they are doing wrong.

Lets move on bro, and leave it as, I will make sure to give you credit due.
    It's fine man, nothing is your fault. I just hate how Jason screws everyone even those trying to benefit the BMW community. As I said, that guy seriously deserves to be smacked in the face a few times.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They should both have coolers. Maybe even the same one. The M cooler is nothing to write home about, it's the crappy manual transmission cooler. It's a pile of junk and embarrassing BMW used it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    Doesn't the 335iS still use the N54 rather than the N55?
    Yeah, the 335is uses the N54 but at a price of around $60k. The 135i DCT on the other hand is around $45k fully loaded. How much is an n54 worth I guess.
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Dreaming... Click here to enlarge Here is an N54 DCT log a customer sent in today. This is maybe 440wtq? Our N55 DCT slips like crazy as well at higher torque levels.
    ouch, I wonder how much the $1700 clutch pack upgrade will help though?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You would assume it's different and not bother reading and learning? Wonderful.
    why you smart arse? is there a doc on the non M DCT? do the cars have different engines with different TQ characteristics? are the output shafts different? why would you assume they are the same?

If someone has the non M DCT doc that would be helpful to see what the differences are and if there is a way of 'building' the DCT for a high TQ N54.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast