Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

rb turbo fbo plus meth jb4 question

Hello,
    Currently I have a v5 fbo meth rb car. There is a great chance I will be aquiring a jb4 from a car that got traded in at work for a great deal. Just have to ask the used car manager tom. My question is its a pnp jb4. What other options would I need to maximize it with my rb plus meth set up? I say the g5 board but is there anything else/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by litz4244 Click here to enlarge
    Hello,
    Currently I have a v5 fbo meth rb car. There is a great chance I will be aquiring a jb4 from a car that got traded in at work for a great deal. Just have to ask the used car manager tom. My question is its a pnp jb4. What other options would I need to maximize it with my rb plus meth set up? I say the g5 board but is there anything else/
    what year/color 335? mine had a jb left in it..

upgrade it to G5 board. from there, you may ned to ask T. for everyday use, i didnt worry about running 17 psi on pump 93+meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LM with all the new e85 developments and the hype, not that is not valid, its funny that your a HR (where the F has he been btw) did all your passes on good old 93 and race gas... HR more so just 93....

With these developments with e85 becoming mainstream and cobb race maps by now I figured we would see more impressive dynographs, but in reality you can only suck so much out of stock turbos...

Its not the OP and other RB owners jobs to get on these advancments in tuning/fuels and get proper numbers out of it...

OP any reasn why your switching from v5 to JB ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    what year/color 335? mine had a jb left in it..

upgrade it to G5 board. from there, you may ned to ask T. for everyday use, i didnt worry about running 17 psi on pump 93+meth

Thanks. I will get in touch with him. Its from a black 08 e90. I figured for the right price why not compare it to my vishnu. Always open for different results.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    LM with all the new e85 developments and the hype, not that is not valid, its funny that your a HR (where the F has he been btw) did all your passes on good old 93 and race gas... HR more so just 93....

With these developments with e85 becoming mainstream and cobb race maps by now I figured we would see more impressive dynographs, but in reality you can only suck so much out of stock turbos...

Its not the OP and other RB owners jobs to get on these advancments in tuning/fuels and get proper numbers out of it...

Depending if sales is willing to part with it i know the deal will be to good to pass up. Its not that i dislike my vishnu i am stoked how my car has been on the vishnu. But it doesnt hurt to try the jb4 out esp since it wont cost much. If it performs better great but if it doesnt no real big loss.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

sorry, i really cant understand what the first sentence your saying is supposed to mean. you mean why stick with 93/93+meth over e85?

but for the lack of new data, i think its just been a slow year. it takes time, personal time, and costs money to move things forward. I think a lot of peope were/are awaiting more cobb feedback.

Im suprised noone has set the bench higher, but i dont forsee too long of a wait now.. I know T has RBs for his car, so its not waiting on feedback form customers anymore.

Its also the season, summer is good and fun, but noone really hits the dragtsrip and dyno's in the summer to get records broken. AS it cools off, more people will get the itch to put rubber on the road.

As for safety/reliability, 17 psi and 93/meth were my settings for well over a year, and as tuning evolved, becam a very potent car for DD use. It was not only a timing advance issue, but also fuel..

What i see is holding people back is they want cobb AFR's AND timing so they tuned for worst case scenario, but i kinda did it reversed, i wanted to run as much timing as i could (oem advance) and adjusted bost to match for the octane that i always had readily available
    Last edited by LostMarine; 09-18-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OP what meth system do you have? If you don't have a stand alone system you'll want to get a BMS FSB so the JB4 can control your meth system. I would def advise to upgrade to the G5 board.
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    haha sorry i phone typing is FTL, now im on my work computer

*its funny that you and HotRod , did all your passes on good old 93 and race gas.....**

And i meant Access Tuner, not OTS race maps, lol...

but yea your theory has been the tried and proven theory for a while, and people didnt agree with it because it was "unsafe" or the "wrong way to tune" but like you said you havent seen that kind of tuning with the cobb guys... all though PTF have been showing great results... but it has worked for years and years now. I am surprised that no ones even came close to you though... there is one 335i e90 that has RBs that runs really well, went mid 8s on my vbox when I lent it to him but he is deployed now, Id like to se ehim give it a shot at the strip

and now is just about the time people should start going out to the track I suppose, I know I am going sunday, but with my timing flatlines with jb4 alone or stacked with cobb or with cobb alone I am not looking to shatter records, just get baselines from before a possible protune and the Vargas turbos

Once upgraded I plan to run about 17psi as my DD and i agree thats a perfect DD setup capable of hanging with a TON of cars one would not expect you to

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    OP what meth system do you have? If you don't have a stand alone system you'll want to get a BMS FSB so the JB4 can control your meth system. I would def advise to upgrade to the G5 board.
    I run a vishnu pps kit. I have the vishnu pump and lambante controller with a aquamist stand alone flow sensor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i would have loved to know what 60-130 mine had in it, i never got into it until the M

The thing with ATR guys, is i havent seen any that are doing the tuning themselves, what it was meant for. SO people buy custom tunes, and that creates an issue. WHoever is tuning it has to keep reliability and responsability in mind, since I could do all the changes myself on the jb4, had meh failsafes, i could tinker and adjust as i saw fit. Add to that any questions and A LOT of help from T, I felt comfortable be more aggressive when i wanted to be/had the octane.

I think repair costs are keeping people away as well. As we now see there are hardware limits for certain cars, noone wants to play with the fire.

Nothing against cobb or flashes, but if the Jb4 is easier, cheaper and delivers better performance, i dont see why one would run ATR unless they needed to. "Needed to" is where i would have gone for it for the fueling aspect alone. I think a stack is what I would have done. Matter of fact, its what I had planned if i recall

As for JB4 for litz though, just a few parameters need to be fine tuned to account for the RB's, shouldnt be more than a few logs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would see about a back end flash if possible, should give you some fueling headroom for the RB's on high boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i would have loved to know what 60-130 mine had in it, i never got into it until the M

The thing with ATR guys, is i havent seen any that are doing the tuning themselves, what it was meant for. SO people buy custom tunes, and that creates an issue. WHoever is tuning it has to keep reliability and responsability in mind, since I could do all the changes myself on the jb4, had meh failsafes, i could tinker and adjust as i saw fit. Add to that any questions and A LOT of help from T, I felt comfortable be more aggressive when i wanted to be/had the octane.

I think repair costs are keeping people away as well. As we now see there are hardware limits for certain cars, noone wants to play with the fire.

Nothing against cobb or flashes, but if the Jb4 is easier, cheaper and delivers better performance, i dont see why one would run ATR unless they needed to. "Needed to" is where i would have gone for it for the fueling aspect alone. I think a stack is what I would have done. Matter of fact, its what I had planned if i recall

As for JB4 for litz though, just a few parameters need to be fine tuned to account for the RB's, shouldnt be more than a few logs
    For meth intergration. Could i Keep my existing setup and have jb4 monitor flow or would I have to switch to the fsb set up for pump amperage?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    youd have to ask the man himself. i only used a fsb meth kit for a few weeks before i moved on

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Well said...

In my instance though... the "need" may be put on me to use ATR if my timing dips post shift can not be resolved... PTF have seemed to be the only ones who I have seen documented logs before and after showing GREAT timing curves that are VERY aggressive at high boost... But I really dont want to ever go away from using jb4 for ALL the reasons you listed above.. its only a matter of time before T will figure out the timing issue.. I hope its something that people will share fixes on instead of holding it inhouse , but I cant disagree with that from a business perspective though...

and the timing dips have been going on for ages on some cars, just now are more and more people actually logging and realizing it, lol... I wonder the percentage of people with a jb4 last year that had their USB cable ran into the car and used it often to log/change settings. Which like you said, is needed to take things to the next level. Im willing to bet its about 10%, and prob most the people active on these forums

OP if you need to get a whole new meth kit to use with RBs it may not be cost effective if your happy, but I am with you with trying out different things. I just wont try procede, lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well said...

In my instance though... the "need" may be put on me to use ATR if my timing dips post shift can not be resolved... PTF have seemed to be the only ones who I have seen documented logs before and after showing GREAT timing curves that are VERY aggressive at high boost... But I really dont want to ever go away from using jb4 for ALL the reasons you listed above.. its only a matter of time before T will figure out the timing issue.. I hope its something that people will share fixes on instead of holding it inhouse , but I cant disagree with that from a business perspective though...

and the timing dips have been going on for ages on some cars, just now are more and more people actually logging and realizing it, lol... I wonder the percentage of people with a jb4 last year that had their USB cable ran into the car and used it often to log/change settings. Which like you said, is needed to take things to the next level. Im willing to bet its about 10%, and prob most the people active on these forums

OP if you need to get a whole new meth kit to use with RBs it may not be cost effective if your happy, but I am with you with trying out different things. I just wont try procede, lol.
    exactly if i have to change my meth kit i wont. It took to long for me to make that kit work lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    No reason to try a JB expect out of curiosity... learning a new piggy would just add some headache for no return IMO. If you want some fine tuning attach some procede logs and your current map in a thread for some feedback. There can be some benefit in a base flash, either ATR or vishnus option. I stack ATR and procede and it works great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Im sure it will work, i recall other people asking about switching, just dont know how to tell you to do it.

josh, he has EVERY reason to try it out. we used to tell all the newbs go with your gut, if you dont like it get a refund and try the other tune, so why when a veteran wants to try something different , you would say no reason to? If anything, he would benefit from MORE users being able to help him as more of us use JB, more of us use JBand RB's, T can post here, T canwill and does help out users, he already doesnt support shiv in business practice. so its a win/win for him

the old me would neg you for such a blatant fanboy post Click here to enlarge

having a vet actually use and review both objectively, is a win/win for us

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've thought about trying procede but the meth kit is such a pita to install. Not worth it to me I guess. I started off with Cobb, then jb4, now both Click here to enlarge
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Im sure it will work, i recall other people asking about switching, just dont know how to tell you to do it.

josh, he has EVERY reason to try it out. we used to tell all the newbs go with your gut, if you dont like it get a refund and try the other tune, so why when a veteran wants to try something different , you would say no reason to? If anything, he would benefit from MORE users being able to help him as more of us use JB, more of us use JBand RB's, T can post here, T canwill and does help out users, he already doesnt support shiv in business practice. so its a win/win for him

the old me would neg you for such a blatant fanboy post Click here to enlarge

having a vet actually use and review both objectively, is a win/win for us
    not really a fanboy post LM... both do basically the same thing and his tune seems to be working fine from what he's posted including 1/4 mile times... so in my opinion would be a useless exercise with similar results. If the OP is just curious, then by all means, do it and let us know the feedback.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by litz4244 Click here to enlarge
    Hello,
    With larger turbos you'll want the G5 board with the new isolated boost system we're testing now, along with our backend flash for enhanced fueling.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    T if he bought an FSB he'd be able to use pretty much any meth kit right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    No reason to try a JB expect out of curiosity... learning a new piggy would just add some headache for no return IMO. If you want some fine tuning attach some procede logs and your current map in a thread for some feedback. There can be some benefit in a base flash, either ATR or vishnus option. I stack ATR and procede and it works great.

josh, he has EVERY reason to try it out. we used to tell all the newbs go with your gut, if you dont like it get a refund and try the other tune. so why when a veteran wants to try something different , you would say no reason to? If anything, he would benefit from MORE users being able to help him as more of us use JB, more of us use JB and RB's, T can post here, T can,will and does help out users. he already doesnt support shiv in business practice. so its a win/win for him
    yea, it really was..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^Depends on the opinion… one side welcomed, the other negged. Fanboy forum really.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    T if he bought an FSB he'd be able to use pretty much any meth kit right?
    Correct, with the FSB the JB4 can control and get a flow reading from any Aquatec 5800 series pump.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    ^Depends on the opinion… one side welcomed, the other negged. Fanboy forum really.
    I wouldn't have neg repped you but I agree with LM. Anytime people switch tunes just to try new things it helps the community as a whole. you can provide a 1st hand comparison. Like I said before I've thought about trying procede but the meth install is a pita. I'd also like to try the flex fuel sensor but not for $900. I started with Cobb then jb4 now going with both. I'm familiar with both tunes now because I tried more than one. I even have some of the old v201 maps Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast