Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 90
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    407
    Rep Points
    39.3
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    [bimmerboost edition] General N54 Questions Thread. New member? Question on Modifications or misfires? Post 'em up!

    well, i used to maintain some threads on the site that i'm now perma banned from. it looks like a lot more people are finding their way over here, new members and banned members alike. regardless, i thought this forum could benefit from a general questions thread.

    i dunno about you guys, i'm kinda sick of seeing the same 3 or 4 threads pop up every week such as:

    -which exhaust is better?
    -i got a cel?
    -which intake is better?
    -etc. etc. etc.

    so, if you have a general questions about modifications, tuning, misfires, etc.....post em up here. this forum has dozens of valuable members that can assist you. one more thing, let's keep it positive. cheers,


    bryce

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,683
    Rep Points
    3,335.6
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    good idea Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    277
    Rep Points
    622.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Meh, I will go first.

    I have a strange stumbling problem when cruising in lower gears. I have not noticed it on the highway, at WOT, idle or when the car is warm. Mostly happens during my 4 mile drive to work (no warm up time) on city streets (3rd-4th gear). Seems like the car is misfiring a but but I don't get any lights. Car is an '07 with 52k on the clock, 100% stock. Never been carbon cleaned. HPFP was replaced. I think it had 3 injectors replaced, would need to double check the paperwork.

    Once I pick up a COBB I will scan for codes and see what pops up. I will pull the plugs and see what they look like as well. Beyond that, I am guessing it needs a carbon cleaning? Everything I have read seems to indicate this is either bad plugs, leaky injector, or carbon buildup. Anything else? I would like to get this all cleared up before/during my quick trip from stock to FBO.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SF Bay, CA
    Posts
    75
    Rep Points
    56.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    Meh, I will go first.

    I have a strange stumbling problem when cruising in lower gears. I have not noticed it on the highway, at WOT, idle or when the car is warm. Mostly happens during my 4 mile drive to work (no warm up time) on city streets (3rd-4th gear). Seems like the car is misfiring a but but I don't get any lights. Car is an '07 with 52k on the clock, 100% stock. Never been carbon cleaned. HPFP was replaced. I think it had 3 injectors replaced, would need to double check the paperwork.

    Once I pick up a COBB I will scan for codes and see what pops up. I will pull the plugs and see what they look like as well. Beyond that, I am guessing it needs a carbon cleaning? Everything I have read seems to indicate this is either bad plugs, leaky injector, or carbon buildup. Anything else? I would like to get this all cleared up before/during my quick trip from stock to FBO.
    Sounds like you are on the right path. I would first replace plugs because you are due for them. If that doesn't help it is most likely the injectors. I used to have a little hiccup when cruising at low speed on the freeway. I recently had a ton of work done at the dealer and they replaced all 6 injectors. That seemed to clear up the issue. The motor is butter smooth at low rpm now and cold starts are much much smoother than before. I still have not done the carbon cleaning so I would put that off as a last resort in your case.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    277
    Rep Points
    622.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by (-(ellblazer420 Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like you are on the right path. I would first replace plugs because you are due for them. If that doesn't help it is most likely the injectors. I used to have a little hiccup when cruising at low speed on the freeway. I recently had a ton of work done at the dealer and they replaced all 6 injectors. That seemed to clear up the issue. The motor is butter smooth at low rpm now and cold starts are much much smoother than before. I still have not done the carbon cleaning so I would put that off as a last resort in your case.
    Maybe its worth dropping it at the dealer if plugs don't resolve the issue. Got a yearish left on CPO.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,868
    Rep Points
    2,450.1
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    Yes Reputation No
    definately take advantage of your CPO. If your techs are worth a crap they'll start at plugs, then coils, then injectors then walnut blasting until they get rid of the stumble/misfire.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    277
    Rep Points
    622.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    definately take advantage of your CPO. If your techs are worth a crap they'll start at plugs, then coils, then injectors then walnut blasting until they get rid of the stumble/misfire.
    Plugs aren't covered typically though, right? Maybe I will just pull them and see what they look like. If one is really sooty, I will throw it back in and drop it at the dealer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,857
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    Yes Reputation No
    I don't think plugs are covered under the cpo, I would take it to BMW, plugs aren't that expensive anyway.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SF Bay, CA
    Posts
    75
    Rep Points
    56.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    Plugs aren't covered typically though, right? Maybe I will just pull them and see what they look like. If one is really sooty, I will throw it back in and drop it at the dealer.
    Yea I pushed hard for plugs about 10,000 miles before they were due and the dealer kept refusing. So I walked over to the parts department and bought all 6 and slapped them in that night. When I brought my car back for the next service then changed them again. If your still CPO go in there and get all you can from them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    407
    Rep Points
    39.3
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    Meh, I will go first.

    I have a strange stumbling problem when cruising in lower gears. I have not noticed it on the highway, at WOT, idle or when the car is warm. Mostly happens during my 4 mile drive to work (no warm up time) on city streets (3rd-4th gear). Seems like the car is misfiring a but but I don't get any lights. Car is an '07 with 52k on the clock, 100% stock. Never been carbon cleaned. HPFP was replaced. I think it had 3 injectors replaced, would need to double check the paperwork.

    Once I pick up a COBB I will scan for codes and see what pops up. I will pull the plugs and see what they look like as well. Beyond that, I am guessing it needs a carbon cleaning? Everything I have read seems to indicate this is either bad plugs, leaky injector, or carbon buildup. Anything else? I would like to get this all cleared up before/during my quick trip from stock to FBO.
    as everyone else pointed out, plugs are the first thing that i would do. i'm pretty confident that replacing plugs will cure your issues. if the stumbling continues, look into other culprits (coilpacks, injectors, carbon cleaning, etc).

    also, there's a trick for the N54 that i used on my 135i and 335i that works wonders. a master tech told me about it one day when i was BS'ing at a dealership service dept.



    -go out on a highway and drive at a sustained 4-5k rpms for 15-20 mins. it will take 3rd or 4th gear, depending on the speed limit in your area



    i did this once a month on both my n54's, and i never had any issues outside of replacing plugs and coils as recommended when making over 400whp.



    the process heats up the engine beyond normal operating temps. it will burn off any carbon deposits on your injectors, and may help with some of the carbon deposits on the valves. i never pulled my IM to see how my valves looked, but they were never cleaned in the 70k miles and 50k miles i put my cars through (135i and 335i)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Points
    1,177.6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    i have had cylinder 1 missfires with meth. My shop just put together the car and i have asked them to swap coil cyl 1 to cyl 2 to see if it jumps. Picking up the car so testing this tomorrow.
    They also told me that it was obvious when they look/inspected it that the coil was arcing (its the okada plasma direct coil) . Does that mean the coil is not delivering the right power to the plug because the charge jumps somewhere else? Seems strange to me you can actually see that without maybe measuring?
    Thoughts?
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    407
    Rep Points
    39.3
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    i have had cylinder 1 missfires with meth. My shop just put together the car and i have asked them to swap coil cyl 1 to cyl 2 to see if it jumps. Picking up the car so testing this tomorrow.
    They also told me that it was obvious when they look/inspected it that the coil was arcing (its the okada plasma direct coil) . Does that mean the coil is not delivering the right power to the plug because the charge jumps somewhere else? Seems strange to me you can actually see that without maybe measuring?
    Thoughts?
    arcing is apparent on the spark plug. if the plug on cyl. 1 shows arcing, that could be indicitive of a few things. try out a new plug and see if it shows signs of arcing after a few thousand miles. that's what i would do, at least.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    644
    Rep Points
    684.9
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    I'm trying to diagnose fluctuating lean AFR and fuel ceiling limits with relatively tame boost (15PSI) under WOT. Its been suggested that it's due to using a stock airbox with overly aggressive maps. How does that work? Restricted airflow means more work to produce boost, I don't see where it could place a restriction on hitting AFR targets with fuel.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    407
    Rep Points
    39.3
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    I'm trying to diagnose fluctuating lean AFR and fuel ceiling limits with relatively tame boost (15PSI) under WOT. Its been suggested that it's due to using a stock airbox with overly aggressive maps. How does that work? Restricted airflow means more work to produce boost, I don't see where it could place a restriction on hitting AFR targets with fuel.
    what tune are you running? have any logs?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    644
    Rep Points
    684.9
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Procede with 5-23 'stage 3 aggressive' maps.
    09 335i
    ETS 7" FMIC
    2.5" Raceland Catless DP
    Stock airbox

    Logs are in 3rd gear with procede's open loop scalar set to 100 (a typical car will work with 75 or 80 in the same setting... mine looks wrong)

    openloop100.zip contains both runs in csv.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    I think your thread is a very good idea but please don't start it with links. Instead, copy paste.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SF Bay, CA
    Posts
    75
    Rep Points
    56.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    i have had cylinder 1 missfires with meth. My shop just put together the car and i have asked them to swap coil cyl 1 to cyl 2 to see if it jumps. Picking up the car so testing this tomorrow.
    They also told me that it was obvious when they look/inspected it that the coil was arcing (its the okada plasma direct coil) . Does that mean the coil is not delivering the right power to the plug because the charge jumps somewhere else? Seems strange to me you can actually see that without maybe measuring?
    Thoughts?
    Very strange they said they could see the electricity arcing off the coil? Could be on it's way out. Definitely try swapping the coil to another cylinder and see if the problem follows the coil. Do you still have your factory coils? Maybe try those out too.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SF Bay, CA
    Posts
    75
    Rep Points
    56.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    I'm trying to diagnose fluctuating lean AFR and fuel ceiling limits with relatively tame boost (15PSI) under WOT. Its been suggested that it's due to using a stock airbox with overly aggressive maps. How does that work? Restricted airflow means more work to produce boost, I don't see where it could place a restriction on hitting AFR targets with fuel.
    Have you tried running a stage 2 or stage 1 just to see if it is still running lean? Try running it with the air box cover off and see if anything changes.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Points
    1,177.6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by (-(ellblazer420 Click here to enlarge
    Very strange they said they could see the electricity arcing off the coil? Could be on it's way out. Definitely try swapping the coil to another cylinder and see if the problem follows the coil. Do you still have your factory coils? Maybe try those out too.
    yeah sounds strange to me as well. also missfire only occurs with meth. never without. i ordered a new oem coil since i had only 5. Seems quite difficult to get hold of only 1 new OKADA coil
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    407
    Rep Points
    39.3
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Procede with 5-23 'stage 3 aggressive' maps.
    09 335i
    ETS 7" FMIC
    2.5" Raceland Catless DP
    Stock airbox

    Logs are in 3rd gear with procede's open loop scalar set to 100 (a typical car will work with 75 or 80 in the same setting... mine looks wrong)

    openloop100.zip contains both runs in csv.
    your fuel trims are rising through the run. if your OL is already set to 100, i'd contact shiv for more direction. it could be a separate hardware issue, or, just try a different firmware/map and see if the same thing happens.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    644
    Rep Points
    684.9
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Thanks Bryce.
    @enrita Did the Okadas ever wind up making you more power?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    407
    Rep Points
    39.3
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    curious, as well

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Folsom, Ca
    Posts
    182
    Rep Points
    436.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Good to see this is up and running again. Kudos
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    644
    Rep Points
    684.9
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bryce Click here to enlarge
    your fuel trims are rising through the run. if your OL is already set to 100, i'd contact shiv for more direction. it could be a separate hardware issue, or, just try a different firmware/map and see if the same thing happens.
    Shiv and others suggested running DCIs, those cleaned up the problems entirely and allowed me to increase boost. They made a huge impact on the AFRs and fueling....

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    277
    Rep Points
    622.8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    When running a Mr. 5 style intake, oiled or dry filters? I'm going to be FBO soon and I am leaning towards AFE dry drop in and cone. Anything against that route?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •