Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    I believe it is a bearing clearance and or material issue.
    In the built motor did you guys address this? We did in my motor build.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Did you use flanged sleeves?
    Sorry to quote this Andrew but I'm really curious as to this point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Built motor/low-compression AA project, @akh23456 know about this yet??
    I Heard about a while ago but i am waiting to see what they do and How much power DCT can hold.
    F10 M5 : ??????
    E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires, Stock Interior,DSC on

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    PG stated on M3Forums that AA is considering a Vortech supercharger....Rumor or Fact?! Click here to enlarge If it is fact, I sure hope it's a three letter word, starts with Y, and ends in an I...
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    PG stated on M3Forums that AA is considering a Vortech supercharger....Rumor or Fact?! Click here to enlarge If it is fact, I sure hope it's a three letter word, starts with Y, and ends in an I...
    We can just ask AA directly.

I think if they want to go bigger they pretty much to. Procharger would be an option as well but for some reason they aren't used much in the BMW world.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No decisions just yet... Id personally stick with this setup it drives perfect!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andrew@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    No decisions just yet... Id personally stick with this setup it drives perfect!
    Why though? It is leaving a ton of power on the table. HKS doesn't have any larger blowers?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just my personal opinion on how well the car drives with this blower. I've driven a vortech car and I prefer the rotrex, hks for daily driving as I have stated before.

Its a customers car so he makes the decisions and we will deliver.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've driven a vortech car and I prefer the rotrex, hks for daily driving as I have stated before.
    Better response from the Rotrex (Evolve & this AA build) & HKS (AA) blowers?? Cause VF, ESS & Gintani all use Vortech and G-Power uses ASA
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Better response from the Rotrex (Evolve & this AA build) & HKS (AA) blowers?? Cause VF, ESS & Gintani all use Vortech and G-Power uses ASA
    We use both Hks and Rotrex blowers depending on model and engine. We also have exclusive rights to the Hks blowers we use (8550,8555). Gpower and ASA go hand and hand "air to air" intercooled.

Evolve does their homework so you may ask them why they chose to use the Rotrex even though its a more complicated and costly kit to build.
    Last edited by Andrew@activeautowerke; 09-18-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Power is everything even if it means you have a massive peak for the last 200rpm using a certain type of blower. Well... atleast for those who give a $#@!e about dyno graphs and nothing but dyno graphs.

We have tested with both Vortech and Rotrex blowers on two platforms. Both brilliant blowers and have their own pros and cons. We have also experienced the G Power ASA blowers (monsters).

The differences are far more pronounced in real world dynamic conditions as compared to a dyno. There are differences on a dyno too and this can clearly be seen by studying the graph shapes produced.

What people cannot feel by looking on a dyno is the response of the blower and it's with respect to air flow output with respect to dynamic crankshaft rotation or throttle angle (which ever suits your mind better as to understanding this).

Now the above sentence might seem a bit.... well... strange. However, there is no other way to really put it.

Now, moving away from blower types. No matter what blower you use there are other factors at play when we look at a supercharger system as a whole. You can use the most efficient blower in the world which responds at the speed of light but if the flow dynamics of the rest of the system are poor and especially if the mapping is done by muppet (like me.. because I am just a salesman), then the system will never shine.

If the cooling is poor then the system will not shine. If the intake system is bad or the distribution of air is poor across clyinders because someone could not bothered to run some basic tests on the inlet plenum design then the system will not shine. The system will become inconsistent because the DME will be forever retarding and advancing timing based on the combustion quality equations.

Going back to blower types - we used a Rotrex because it does respond incredibly well under real work dynamics conditions. I can comfortable say noticeable better than any other blower we have used. It is an absolute nightmare to work with no doubt from a design perspective on a longitudinal engine configuration as the depth of the blower is more than most and this respresents issues with the inlet system.

We have both Vortech and Rotrex based blowers on S62's which are mapped to an equal level with respect to VANOS, Fuel (all conditions) and ignition timing. There is a vast difference in how the cars drive. Both are superbly quick under full load conditions not taking into account the response times of going into WOT.

The type of blower is only part of the equation. There is far more to a supercharger system than just this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We use both Hks and Rotrex blowers depending on model and engine. We also have exclusive rights to the Hks blowers we use (8550,8555). Gpower and ASA go hand and hand "air to air" intercooled.

Evolve does their homework so you may ask them why they chose to use the Rotrex even though its a more complicated and costly kit to build.
    Does HKS have larger blowers than the ones you currently use?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge
    What people cannot feel by looking on a dyno is the response of the blower and it's with respect to air flow output with respect to dynamic crankshaft rotation or throttle angle (which ever suits your mind better as to understanding this).
    I will say the response of the Vortech blowers sucks. But the top end... man oh man.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    And it is the response that allows the Active cars to suddenly pull so hard so quickly at the beginning of a race.

The top and power of a Rotrex will match that of a V3Si all day long. However, because the torque is flatter and more pronounced on the Rotrex in the midrange the top end has less of a sudden ramp up in power.

Example on another platform:

E46 M3. I have driven many cars with Rotrex and Vortech. Both equally performing in terms of peak power. You drive the Vortech based car, put your foot down and power takes longer to come in and at a higher rpm. When it does come in however it's orgasmic. The Rotrex on the other hand responds immediately with a huge amount of shove and keeps going to the red line. There is no sudden build up of power. However, the Rotrex based car is the faster especially point to point short distances.

A further example for you based on NA tuning. Years ago companies used to actually take away midrange torque so that the top end would 'feel' more powerful. They would do this by retarding ignition timing in the midrange.

Would like to make it very very clear that I actually like both Vortech's and Rotrex's. Our supercharger developments will continue over the years on many platforms. We will use anything and everything that suits us.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You drive the Vortech based car, put your foot down and power takes longer to come in and at a higher rpm. When it does come in however it's orgasmic.
    I would definitely agree with this.

Would like to make it very very clear that I actually like both Vortech's and Rotrex's. Our supercharger developments will continue over the years on many platforms. We will use anything and everything that suits us.
    I just don't think Rotrex has anything to match the big Vortech blowers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12