Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

What Else Can I Add?

Greetings all,

New here and wanted to get some feedback. I have an '07 335i E92 with Dinan S2, AFE/CAI, and Magnaflow exhaust. The car has relatively low miles for its age: 48K after almost six years.

What, if any, additional mods would you recommend for increased boost and acceleration? Or have I pretty much reached the limit with what is possible with the N54 engine? I live in CA and downpipes are illegal as far as I know.

Thank you!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

FMIC for power, and LSD for a better lauch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Okay, I hate to break to you, and I'm not trying to be mean, but the mods you have aren't the best for making power. If you are running a Dinan tune, you are no where near the N54's full potential. Chuck that and get a Cobb, or JB4, or Procede. That would be your next best move. Then downpipes, and maybe a better CAI (the AFE doesn't really do anything). After that, a meth kit. Eventually, if you really want to get silly, do upgraded turbos such as RB's. That can get you around the 500whp range, which is about the limit of what is possible with the N54 barring a single turbo kit and/or N20. We haven't actually found the absolute limit of an unbuilt N54 yet with single turbo or N20, so still a looooong way to go! Click here to enlarge

Oh yeah, welcome to BB!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Okay, I hate to break to you, and I'm not trying to be mean, but the mods you have aren't the best for making power. If you are running a Dinan tune, you are no where near the N54's full potential. Chuck that and get a Cobb, or JB4, or Procede. That would be your next best move. Then downpipes, and maybe a better CAI (the AFE doesn't really do anything). After that, a meth kit. Eventually, if you really want to get silly, do upgraded turbos such as RB's. That can get you around the 500whp range, which is about the limit of what is possible with the N54 barring a single turbo kit and/or N20. We haven't actually found the absolute limit of an unbuilt N54 yet with single turbo or N20, so still a looooong way to go! Click here to enlarge

Oh yeah, welcome to BB!
    What he said.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

If you're looking for just a decent bump in power just ditch the Dinan tune and get a Cobb AP. If you're looking for more power either look into a meth kit or e85 and a custom tune from PTF. ACN fuels suck so you're going to need a good bump in octane before you start making really good numbers.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

The above folks forgot to mention the underrated and reliability of the GIAC flash tune also. With the exception of Cobb, the aforementioned "tunes" are piggy backs so make sure you make an educated choice when plopping money down. DP and IC would def help you achieve the hp and tq you're after.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

It depends on how much faster you want to get.

How much do you like tinkering around?

I would say JB4 and some downpipes, the cheapest and easiest way to make more power. You have no idea what your missing out on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    CA has passed a law that does away with SMOG testing starting in 2013. so, get downpipes, a BMS dpfix, and whichever tune you prefer. you'll pass inspection testing thanks to the dpfix. cobb is win-win, but the piggybacks still make great power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys for all these suggestions. Been on the Burger site reading up on JB4. Is it a noticeable difference over Dinan S2? Also, the Burger set-up looks like it has gads of options I hadn't even considered(remapping etc.). For the money it looks impressive. I honestly am not much of a do-it-yourselfer, is it virtually a PNP? The site seems to imply as much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

yep easy install, easy un-install. downpipes will really wake up your car, with a higher tune setting (jb4 has multiple maps).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

You will need to get your dme reflashed to stock before you can take advantage of the JB4, meth and all that other good stuff. The same issues plaguing the 1M and 335is will plague you if you run the JB4 on top of Dinan.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

^terry has said otherwise.....has something changed with the jb4 in regards to stacking it ontop of dinan? i'll dig up the posts, but there have been a few people reporting great results from jb4 ontop of dinan.

regardless, it doesn't hurt anything to flash back to stock first.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bryce Click here to enlarge
    ^terry has said otherwise.....has something changed with the jb4 in regards to stacking it ontop of dinan? i'll dig up the posts, but there have been a few people reporting great results from jb4 ontop of dinan.regardless, it doesn't hurt anything to flash back to stock first.
    On pump gas I would think it would be perfectly fine. On meth you need to take advantage of the greater timing it allows!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

does the jb4 include cps-offsetting now? if not, you're spot on- dinan has more conservative ignition set points, which meth users will appreciate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Op, all the tunes mentioned will feel faster and more aggressive than a Dinan tune. Besides the warranty, the Dinan tune is worthless compared to the competition. With that in mind, most cars are out of warranty now and you can uninstall the other tunes, clear codes, and BMW won't detect anything. It's ashame you bought the Dinan tune but you'll be happy how much faster the car is with another tune.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Op, all the tunes mentioned will feel faster and more aggressive than a Dinan tune. Besides the warranty, the Dinan tune is worthless compared to the competition. With that in mind, most cars are out of warranty now and you can uninstall the other tunes, clear codes, and BMW won't detect anything. It's ashame you bought the Dinan tune but you'll be happy how much faster the car is with another tune.
    This is what I was hoping to hear. I want something that really makes me pop off the line, that sudden rush of adrenaline. I'm sure you can all relate, hence my username :-)

I am cool with all of your feedback thus far. I bought Dinan when I was a complete neophyte in this arena and my car was still under warranty. I have been reading, researching and asking a lot of questions. I have always been one to bow to experience and I mean real-world, hands-on. After getting your collective input I definitely feel I'm in the right place.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Love2xlr8 Click here to enlarge
    This is what I was hoping to hear. I want something that really makes me pop off the line, that sudden rush of adrenaline. I'm sure you can all relate, hence my username :-)

I am cool with all of your feedback thus far. I bought Dinan when I was a complete neophyte in this arena and my car was still under warranty. I have been reading, researching and asking a lot of questions. I have always been one to bow to experience and I mean real-world, hands-on. After getting your collective input I definitely feel I'm in the right place.
    As said you are far from the limit. Just switching to a JB4 would make a big difference. Downpipes and meth much more so.
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

LOL, you are in the right place. This forum is the best overall collection of information, entertainment, and good personalities. Not that you'll never be rubbed the wrong way, but most people here speak from exprience, not just arguing information that they heard from their personal Jesus. N54Tech is also great with good people and great info, but less traffic so not as many new threads/posts. Luckily, one of the best sources of information over there also posts over here (Terry Burger of Burger Motorsports).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    LOL, you are in the right place. This forum is the best overall collection of information, entertainment, and good personalities. Not that you'll never be rubbed the wrong way, but most people here speak from exprience, not just arguing information that they heard from their personal Jesus. N54Tech is also great with good people and great info, but less traffic so not as many new threads/posts. Luckily, one of the best sources of information over there also posts over here (Terry Burger of Burger Motorsports).
    Awwwww Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Greetings all,

New here and wanted to get some feedback. I have an '07 335i E92 with Dinan S2, AFE/CAI, and Magnaflow exhaust. The car has relatively low miles for its age: 48K after almost six years.

What, if any, additional mods would you recommend for increased boost and acceleration? Or have I pretty much reached the limit with what is possible with the N54 engine? I live in CA and downpipes are illegal as far as I know.

Thank you!
    The cheapest route for you is to ditch the dinan, get the JB4 G5 board, switch to a 50-50 mix of e85/91, and get a cheap intercooler.

This combo with DCI has pushed me well over 400rwhp.... Somewhere around 430whp on 17.5lbs with nothing else. After that think about bigger turbos.

EDIT: Mind you, you will really need to upgrade a few things. I got Michelin PSS 245mm and 275mm as well as upgraded ARBs and I need to do more suspension work before I feel it's anywhere near balanced (safe).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bryce Click here to enlarge
    CA has passed a law that does away with SMOG testing starting in 2013. so, get downpipes, a BMS dpfix, and whichever tune you prefer. you'll pass inspection testing thanks to the dpfix.

Wow awesome!!! Source?

This the last thing holding me back from switching turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

^google is your friend. it's on dozens of message boards, the CA .gov website, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Wow awesome!!! Source?

This the last thing holding me back from switching turbos.
    Basically it will just be an OBD-II test. Awesome, right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Greetings all,

Thank you!
    If increasing boost is all you want, you can stick with dinan S2 that you've already got. For $100, you can buy a JB+, do a solenoid bypass, and add up to 4.75lbs of boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    If increasing boost is all you want, you can stick with dinan S2 that you've already got. For $100, you can buy a JB+, do a solenoid bypass, and add up to 4.75lbs of boost.
    Thanks again guys.

I want to FEEL a noticeable difference between Dinan S2 and something like a JB4 or Cobb. For those of you familiar with all of these in the real world tell me, is there a significant difference, especially in acceleration off the line? If I'm gonna put down $500+ I'd like to know I'm getting something for my money. I'm sure you can relate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast