Close

Thread: How to flow test and inspect your methanol kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

How to flow test and inspect your methanol kit

Just made a "how to" video, looking for some feedback on it.

Let me know what needs to be improved, at least to help some people that are new to meth kits.

Im not familiar with everything available these days, but I still see a lot of meth help threads. I was doing my own today, and figured I might as well tape it.

Of course, if you need the other parameters of the guage, you will want to watch that as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Looks good but the voice sounds very very muffled..Can barely hear what your saying and my audio on laptop is turned way up

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

very helpful LM, thanks for taking out the time and making a video Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks good but the voice sounds very very muffled..Can barely hear what your saying and my audio on laptop is turned way up
    +1 an external mic would help the gopro record better sound quality!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

I do it old school, take poland spring bottle or measuring beaker, test spray nozzle(s) for 30 seconds, ballpark estimate it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Nice video, but take the water proof case off next time bro. Like the guy above said it sounds very muffled. I can turn up the volume and hear your voice a lot better but the camera noises get way too loud.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1525 Post(s)

Why did you put this in N54?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    I do it old school, take poland spring bottle or measuring beaker, test spray nozzle(s) for 30 seconds, ballpark estimate it
    yea, but a lot of people didnt know what exactly to do. most assume you need a compressor, and all sorts of special equipment.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    Nice video, but take the water proof case off next time bro. Like the guy above said it sounds very muffled. I can turn up the volume and hear your voice a lot better but the camera noises get way too loud.
    I forgot I had that case on it, so yea, sound was lower than it should have been. Ill remember it for next time

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    more n54s on meth than any other. move to wherever you want. it would probably help s65 people more these days though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Cant speak for LM, but its probably because the majority of us run meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    yea, but a lot of people didnt know what exactly to do. most assume you need a compressor, and all sorts of special equipment.

I forgot I had that case on it, so yea, sound was lower than it should have been. Ill remember it for next time
    Lol take smartphone of choice, turn on stopwatch count 30 seconds or a minute measure meth flow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Can't see the video at work, but I know guys who were benching at 12V. It's important to flow at 14.4V if you want a true representation, though not many people have a bench power source without turning the car on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

good post. I'll be upgrading my meth kit this weekend, I'm definitely going to test it out using the measuring cup method.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1525 Post(s)

Moved to general since this applies to everyone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Great work LM!!!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Can't see the video at work, but I know guys who were benching at 12V. It's important to flow at 14.4V if you want a true representation, though not many people have a bench power source without turning the car on.
    Critical point here, but the point source voltage is usually closer to 13.8v

The alternator is regulated to 14.4v...but the power goes back to the battery, then through the power distrubution system which results in some loses. (There are actually more loses from going "through" the battery than through the distribution system)

I have a regulated 40A power supply for doing this kind of testing which I find a lot better than using a digital 12V battery charger. (Tighter voltage regulation)

All you need to do is run the engine though and you've got a "real" voltage source. (Plug the boost line port)

Again, great "how to"....I wish more people would take the time to do this type of stuff, even if the sound is a bit hard to hear. Click here to enlarge
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Great work LM!!!

Critical point here, but the point source voltage is usually closer to 13.8v

The alternator is regulated to 14.4v...but the power goes back to the battery, then through the power distrubution system which results in some loses. (There are actually more loses from going "through" the battery than through the distribution system)

I have a regulated 40A power supply for doing this kind of testing which I find a lot better than using a digital 12V battery charger. (Tighter voltage regulation)

All you need to do is run the engine though and you've got a "real" voltage source. (Plug the boost line port)

Again, great "how to"....I wish more people would take the time to do this type of stuff, even if the sound is a bit hard to hear. Click here to enlarge
    little things that i find myself looking for, or when other people ask me about, id like to show Click here to enlarge

Question, so, if voltage was low, that affects the pump speed and COULD be why i was about 100ml/mn low right? or is there something im missing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

little things that i find myself looking for, or when other people ask me about, id like to show Click here to enlarge

Question, so, if voltage was low, that affects the pump speed and COULD be why i was about 100ml/mn low right? or is there something im missing?
    Pressure is usually regulated at the pump by a blow-off or recirculation valve. If this is the case with your system, and it is with mine, battery voltage will not affect flow until you get up close to the flow limit of the pump.

Lets say the pump can flow 1600cc @ 13.8v, and 1400cc @ 12.8v. Voltage will have no effect on your system flow if you are only using 800cc.

What I've found is that fluid flow and pressure is hugely affected by fittings and transitions. Those little 90 degree plastic push connectors probably decrease flow by 10-15% each. Also, depending on the line length from the pump, there will be some flow losses there.

The best way to test what is really going on is to have a pressure and flow sensor right behind the test nozzle.

Some of the better systems on the market account for some of these flow losses as an average when designating flow rates to nozzles, but they can't account for everything.

Something I did with my 330i was run -4AN line and fittings with smooth bend radiuses. The point wasn't to increase flow potential, as much as keeping system pressure higher at the nozzles to help with misting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

hhmmm.. im gonna have to-evaluate my tubing route then

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

hhmmm.. im gonna have to-evaluate my tubing route then
    If you have the flow volume you want, it really shouldn't matter about all those bends....

XRP has some data on this towards the back of their catalogue which can be found here:

http://www.xrp.com/