Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: E85, Overrated?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    You guys can flame all you want, but it doesn't actually subtract one bit from established research on E85's octane level, or the fact that I did see a guy running a 135I a few days ago, with his "procede toy" in a bag with all the rest of his stuff. Besides enrita, none of you guys have actually mentioned taking your cars to a track. It's all about who's got the biggest dyno numbers, with their toy.

Whatever guys. Keep on running your E85 @ 160 octane, with $3:00/gallon, while I'll be the sucker who will buy 100 octane gas at $8.00/gallon.

Funny thing is that I called my buddy at the shop, and told him about my experiences with E85, and just laughed. He said he remembered when that stuff was popular in the VW community back in the day. "the problem is that to get the same amount of burn as good ole' 93 octane, you have to find a way to pump so much more of it."- This is an actual mechanic, with decades of experience tearing up motors. But what people write on the internet forum, is way more important.
    You are a moron. E85 has a much higher octane rating than 93 octane gasoline. It has a lower air/fuel ratio so it "needs be pumped moar" than 93 because the nature of the alcohol molecule and the chemistry of the oxidation of alcohols.

Alcohols, such as ethanol and methanol are better fuels then pure hydrocarbons. The reason you see them in drag racing is because for all out power the only thing better is nitromethane. In F1 racing they used to use pure toluene (which is one of the main ingredients in regular gasoline) because it had a high octane and it had a higher A/F ratio which meant the F1 cars didnt need as many pit stops. Race gas that you buy for 8 dollars a gallon is really no better than E85 or pure Ethanol, the only difference is you need less of it, but you do pay more for it.

The bull$#@! that you are spewing is based really on emotional responses to codes you were getting because you dont know what you are doing. Your "friend whom is be a mekanic" doesnt know what he's saying if he thinks "you get the same amount of burn as 93". What are you talking about? E85 burns slower and more controllably than 93, it has a higher effective octane rating than 93, given the fact that in direct injection the fuel gets sprayed directly into the cylinder it also acts as a coolant since alcohol has a lower heat of vaporization than hydrocarbon fuels, this adds to its effective octane rating.

You want us to 'prove' $#@! to you? I'm not gonna waste more than 30 seconds proving anything, go buy a book on engine design or basic internal combustion engine theory and you can go learn on your own.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Can we all just neg rep this guy into oblivion? I would but I don't have enough rep points. His posts are mind numbing and he doesn't listen to a word anyone is saying.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Cobb is a joke at the track
    Not really. @yandyr runs Stage 2+ just fine the Florida heat. I have a video of him blowing by me at PBIR. I don't think he ever limped either, also with stock oil cooler.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I was gonna say yandyr has been running E85 for a while on his tune. Why are we arguing with this tard?
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DCAFS Click here to enlarge
    http://www.racegas.com/article/11

Why not see what the people who make this stuff have to say about it?
    When's Mitch making you his test batch of E85? Click here to enlarge
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction
    [
    01/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Cobb S2+ PTF-protune | Stett CAI | ETS 5" FMIC | AR DP | AE Exhaust - Gone

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

0 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

This post by Turkeybaster115 is hidden due to excessive negative ratings. Click expand to view the post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Haha you neg'd me back you tool. I gave you the thumbs down because this was not only a waste of a thread, but because you fail to acknowledge the fact that you went about E85 ALL WRONG Click here to enlarge.

When combined with a tune that can take advantage of the gains E85 offers, the $#@! is magic. Then (like addressed by other people who've posted) when we try to help you, you just shoot down everyones suggestion. This is my last post in this thread, but get your $#@! together -- if you want to track your car & use anything besides pump gas (whether it's E85 or 100 octane), you should prob. start researching the mainstream tunes (COBB, JB4 & PROcede) and pick whichever one best suits you.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    Your mechanic is right on point....

It does indeed take a larger volume of E85 versus normal gasoline (regardless of octane: 87, 89, 91, 93, 100)

So far our pumps have been able to handle a blend without any problems...From what I know the Vishnu camp as even shown that 100% E85 is possible with no pump upgrades...Also COBB users are attempting and going through trials and tribulations for 100% E85 right now...

So your mechanic is right...but at this time there doesnt seem to be a limitation with the OEM hardware and pumps...

Thats is of course...WITH THE PROPER TUNING
    Exactly, you just need more of it. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with ethanol.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Exactly, you just need more of it. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with ethanol.
    I don't understand how someone who tracks a car doesn't log at least once to see if the car is running healthy on a fuel that the tune isn't designed for it....

baffles me actually.
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    He has been costing the raw components since last week, but was missing some prices and had to contact the manufacturers.

Today (Tuesday) is D-day apparently.

I will be contacting him this afternoon to see what the price point shapes up to be.

If it's reasonable, then the plan is to mix a test batch and let Dzenno test 10 gallons or so for free to see how the mixture reacts to tuning.

I seriously think Mitch is willing to stock several 55 gallon drums if there is a demand for it.

The only problem will be the necessity to hand pump as he is not willing to free up his race gas storage tanks.

Let's keep our fingers crossed......and our legs and eyes too!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

You need to lobby your local green advocates in Canada to protest or something lol. Maybe you can get some real pump E85 that way heh.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

E85 is good stuff but what makes it good is the low price point and easy access. If you don't have E85, just use a race gas mix. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    Well if you are running jb+ no wonder you got mixture codes... Get a proper tune like cobb that supports E85 and you will see why people are loving it.
    I have had mixture codes and an SES light with Cobb and this was only with 3 gallons of E85 and 13 gallons of 93 in the tank. Granted, this was before the proper E30 maps were released and I am yet to try the new maps as I haven't had time. I hope to stop by the station tonight to give the new maps a shot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Wow, this was a fun read...
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Wow, this was a fun read...
    Agreed. Turkeyfucker was my favorite comment.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Ohh, yeah definitely a funny way to start the work week.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
    I have had mixture codes and an SES light with Cobb and this was only with 3 gallons of E85 and 13 gallons of 93 in the tank. Granted, this was before the proper E30 maps were released and I am yet to try the new maps as I haven't had time. I hope to stop by the station tonight to give the new maps a shot.
    yeah i got codes to on NON E85 maps.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

I haven't seen a mixture code since I had a map with the appropriate scalar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Ok,

I think a lot of the comments TurkeyBaster made here were based on the fact that he has seen my car a few times on Gingerman and to be quite honest, the car did have issues with the tuning. I run Cobb and it was not until the last set of maps that they solved the constant boost oscillations, overboosting codes and throttle closures. I was testing a lot of these beta maps on the track and quite honestly, the earlier versions were indeed rubbish. The software lacked consistency, predictability and completely ruined the driver confidence in the car. Driving the Cobb earlier maps on the track was more about constantly expecting the unexpected rather than trusting in the car and actually improving your skills.

However, things have changed quite a bit since the release of the 4.02 beta maps.

Turkey: I really think you should ditch your primitive boost controller (JB+) and get a different tune. If you are still unsure about Cobb, then just get JB4 and enjoy your car on the track. You already have a few other supporting mods and I honestly think JB+ is doing more harm than good in your car.

Hit me up some time and we can meet at the next event @ Gingerman

Vasil
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    Just got off the phone with Mitch.....he has all the components priced (what components - it's just ethanol and pump gas lol).
    But he is too involved with another project right now so he pawned me off to Thursday.

I will keep bugging him.

Sooner or later!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    You need to lobby your local green advocates in Canada to protest or something lol. Maybe you can get some real pump E85 that way heh.
    Actually this is a local racing gas depot and our only hope for E85 nearby. He actually mixes the batches onsite and controls the quality that way. No station to station variations and no seasonal dilution.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    E85 is good stuff but what makes it good is the low price point and easy access. If you don't have E85, just use a race gas mix. Click here to enlarge
    Ya....that's what I do once in a while. Problem is you get addicted to it.

Nitehawk has had a taste of E85 now, so for sure he will be in a 12 step program soon if we can't get this stuff cheap.

By way of comparison - 94 Octane premium pump gas is about $1.48/litre up here. 110 Octane racing gas is $3.20/litre.

So there is a lot of financial incentive for us.

It's funny how some of these local race gas suppliers do not consider the niche market for street tuning. They seem to focus only on professional racers.

I know when I was at his shop on the weekend, he was on and off the phone with racing crews reporting results.

He mentioned that he throws away the first 1/8 mile and looks for improvements in the back half and trap speed as an indicator of whether things are improving or not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    Not really. @yandyr runs Stage 2+ just fine the Florida heat. I have a video of him blowing by me at PBIR. I don't think he ever limped either, also with stock oil cooler.
    Never limped, but I do take at least 1 cool down lap in the middle of the sessions, no heater either.
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Turkeybaster has proven himself to be confrontational and unwilling to listen to others' opinions even back on the other forum.

For the record: I had Dinan and limped on the track. COBB has never done that for me. And I log because I'm not a 16 year old kid playing around with a boost controller on a $50,000 toy.

There's a difference between going to the track a lot and actually knowing anything. Come back when you're ready to have a mature and civilized discussion.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I seriously think Mitch is willing to stock several 55 gallon drums if there is a demand for it.

The only problem will be the necessity to hand pump as he is not willing to free up his race gas storage tanks.
    So, we can fill up on the spot as opposed to taking our own drums with us? If so, I don't mind hand pumping from a barrel/drum at all..

Just got off the phone with Mitch.....he has all the components priced (what components - it's just ethanol and pump gas lol).
    But he is too involved with another project right now so he pawned me off to Thursday.

I will keep bugging him.

Sooner or later!
    Do you know if he's going to use corn based ethanol? What kind of pump gas will he mix? (ie, 91 or 94)

Actually this is a local racing gas depot and our only hope for E85 nearby. He actually mixes the batches onsite and controls the quality that way. No station to station variations and no seasonal dilution.

Nitehawk has had a taste of E85 now, so for sure he will be in a 12 step program soon if we can't get this stuff cheap.

By way of comparison - 94 Octane premium pump gas is about $1.48/litre up here. 110 Octane racing gas is $3.20/litre.

So there is a lot of financial incentive for us.

It's funny how some of these local race gas suppliers do not consider the niche market for street tuning. They seem to focus only on professional racers.
    Yeah, the E85 from the Mobil gas station in Niagara Falls is a measly $0.92/litre Click here to enlarge. However, considering the cost of driving over an hour across the border to buy it, I don't mind paying a little extra especially considering the consistent ethanol percentage. It sure beats paying $1.48/litre of 94 Octane or race gas. @dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks has been fine tuning my car with this US sourced E85, so we'll be easily able to cross verify the quality of their mix. If all goes well, he's got me as a customer for life...and anyone that gets a taste for it. Click here to enlarge
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction
    [
    01/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Cobb S2+ PTF-protune | Stett CAI | ETS 5" FMIC | AR DP | AE Exhaust - Gone

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JStang Click here to enlarge
    Was your tank less than a 1/4 tank? Typically your mixture rate is higher (more ethanol) when its down low. I have not gotten a mixture code with 3 Gallons for 3 months. Running S1 Sport, now S1+ Agg. no codes yet.
    Last edited by VNeBLOB42; 09-11-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast