Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: E85, Overrated?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL, this guys posts wreak of mental illness...Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    We arent telling you what to do....but only trying to help...any help we throw your way gets brushed aside and then your getting all defensive Click here to enlarge

If your not down with COBB for the track, and also feel JB4 temp protection isnt helpful to you either....then by all means go for the Dinan or GIAC tune....I can tell you the GIAC has been proven time and time again for hard track racing (Seen Fred's Evolution Racewerks 135i firsthand)....and they dont have E85 support yet which seems to be a good thing bc you want consistent results without tinkering or logging...
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    and how come it won't throw these codes on the street? The answer is the same reason you don't get overboost codes with your cobb toy, while street racing.
    Whichever tuner you use is up to you. I'm sure GIAC and Dinan are more than capable of tuning your car to run E30 or E40, but my point is that without a calibration designed specifically to use that fuel blend, it won't run well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    COBB is what happens when guys who actually build & tune purpose built time attack cars (WRX STIs, EVOs & GTRs) start tuning BMWs. I don't track my car, but I'm amazed at how ignorant you really are to the aftermarket & tuning of the N54 engine.
    You guys can flame all you want, but it doesn't actually subtract one bit from established research on E85's octane level, or the fact that I did see a guy running a 135I a few days ago, with his "procede toy" in a bag with all the rest of his stuff. Besides enrita, none of you guys have actually mentioned taking your cars to a track. It's all about who's got the biggest dyno numbers, with their toy.

Whatever guys. Keep on running your E85 @ 160 octane, with $3:00/gallon, while I'll be the sucker who will buy 100 octane gas at $8.00/gallon.

Funny thing is that I called my buddy at the shop, and told him about my experiences with E85, and just laughed. He said he remembered when that stuff was popular in the VW community back in the day. "the problem is that to get the same amount of burn as good ole' 93 octane, you have to find a way to pump so much more of it."- This is an actual mechanic, with decades of experience tearing up motors. But what people write on the internet forum, is way more important.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    LOL, this guys posts wreak of mental illness...Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Everyone's a thug online dude. Please stop typing. You know you're a kid. Go by your 200 octane corn juice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    You guys can flame all you want, but it doesn't actually subtract one bit from established research on E85's octane level, or the fact that I did see a guy running a 135I a few days ago, with his "procede toy" in a bag with all the rest of his stuff. Besides enrita, none of you guys have actually mentioned taking your cars to a track. It's all about who's got the biggest dyno numbers, with their toy.

Whatever guys. Keep on running you E85 @ 160 octane, at $3:00/gallon, while I'll be the sucker who will buy 100 octane gas at $8.00/gallon.

Funny thing is that I called my buddy at the shop, and told him about my experiences with E85, and just laughed. He said he remembered when that stuff was popular in the VW community back in the day. "the problem is that to get the same amount of burn as good ole' 93 octane, you have to find a way to pump so much more of it."- This is an actual mechanic, with decades of experience tearing up motors. But what people write on the internet forum, is way more important.
    Im glad that only person who agrees with you is you. It must be a very lonely world that you live in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Your mechanic is right on point....

It does indeed take a larger volume of E85 versus normal gasoline (regardless of octane: 87, 89, 91, 93, 100)

So far our pumps have been able to handle a blend without any problems...From what I know the Vishnu camp as even shown that 100% E85 is possible with no pump upgrades...Also COBB users are attempting and going through trials and tribulations for 100% E85 right now...

So your mechanic is right...but at this time there doesnt seem to be a limitation with the OEM hardware and pumps...

Thats is of course...WITH THE PROPER TUNING
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you're going to run 100% E85 it requires ~130% higher flow compared to normal gasoline, which is why COBB developed the fueling tables for E85 integration. Not sure what you mean by "procede toy", cause it doesn't come in a bag Click here to enlarge. I actually have never been on a dyno, but I went with COBB because I wanted consistent power on my DD (something that would be beneficial on a track car).

If you're building a purpose built car that's ony going to be run on race gas & you don't want to worry about logging to make sure the car is running "happy", then go get a GIAC tune that's dialed in for race gas. Just don't be surprised when you put in 93 & the engine tears itself apart.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Anybody know how this "which intake is best" E90Post user got over here?

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    Whichever tuner you use is up to you. I'm sure GIAC and Dinan are more than capable of tuning your car to run E30 or E40, but my point is that without a calibration designed specifically to use that fuel blend, it won't run well.
    Andrew, the problem is that E30/E40 is only ~94 octane. 93.5 to be specific.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Andrew, the problem is that E30/E40 is only ~94 octane. 93.5 to be specific.
    Yes but directly injected into chamber is another thing... Read the paper.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    If you're going to run 100% E85 it requires ~130% higher flow compared to normal gasoline, which is why COBB developed the fueling tables for E85 integration. Not sure what you mean by "procede toy", cause it doesn't come in a bag Click here to enlarge. I actually have never been on a dyno, but I went with COBB because I wanted consistent power on my DD (something that would be beneficial on a track car).

If you're building a purpose built car that's ony going to be run on race gas & you don't want to worry about logging to make sure the car is running "happy", then go get a GIAC tune that's dialed in for race gas. Just don't be surprised when you put in 93 & the engine tears itself apart.
    Hey you are being honest. You are a guy who just wants a little extra power for your daily driver on the street. Your cobb tune is perfect for you.

The procede was put into a plastic grocery bag by the gentlemen I met at gingerman last weekend. He brought it to the track, and was asking us all questions, to find out why he couldn't run it at his last track event. He was very frustrated, because of all the trouble it gave him, while tracking, that he was considering selling his 135I, and getting a corvette.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    "Ethanol and methanol have a high intrinsic octane numbers. However, a much larger
    octane number is effectively obtained by the evaporative cooling that occurs when
    methanol is directly injected. The high level of knock resistance of directly injected
    methanol, which is represented by its high effective octane number, allows operation at
    much higher levels of engine power density and compression ratio."

http://web.mit.edu/mitei/lfee/progra...2008-01-rp.pdf

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

OP, you described a lean condition. Fix your lean condition and try again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    Yes but directly injected into chamber is another thing... Read the paper.
    Good for you man. Enjoy E85 then. As for me, I'm at the point where I am seriously considering selling my 335I for a Corvette. Currently we have no decent aftermarket radiators, so going to the track with +400whp, and hosing down the radiator with water, in between sessions, is just getting on my nerves. BTW, do a search using my username on E90post, and you will see that I was about to install a tranny cooler, and I even found a tranny cooler that will fit our cars. Never got to do this, but it still will turn out to be yet another band aid, for the volcano. Also search for Adamway. He has a trans oil cooler on his 335XI.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool sell it than good luck.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Try running a tune that supports e85 before posting dumb $#@!.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you want a purpose built track car, you're better off with something N/A. That could be a domestic (Corvette), JDM (350Z) or Euro (E36/46 M3, E92 330i).

I just don't understand why you posted this thread & then gave every1 who tried to help you an earful of $#@!. The problems you were having when running E85 should be expected when running a higher than normal percentage of ethanol content. If you want something simple that you can turn on & go to the track with, go buy a Mazda Miata. If you want to take your 335 & track it aggressively, you should've focused on supporting mods (suspension, cooling components, LSD, etc) before adding power

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had GIAC and ran a blend of E85 on the street and got some fuel codes. You simply can't add E85 without tuning like adding 100 octane. Right now, folks are tuning for E85 blends, which requires some level of math. Anyways, you sound bitter that you want to trade in for a Vette. Most of the guys you've pissed off would be glad to hear that so you would stop posting here. But I say, get the damn COBB and try it out before you talk all this non sense!

BTW: I go to the track. See sig. LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    I had GIAC and ran a blend of E85 on the street and got some fuel codes. You simply can't add E85 without tuning like adding 100 octane. Right now, folks are tuning for E85 blends, which requires some level of math. Anyways, you sound bitter that you want to trade in for a Vette. Most of the guys you've pissed off would be glad to hear that so you would stop posting here. But I say, get the damn COBB and try it out before you talk all this non sense!

BTW: I go to the track. See sig. LOL
    We tried to tell him to use COBB as he doesn't realize how different flash tunes are these days and how many advancements/developments COBB has made in the last couple years...Let alone the respect for what they have done in the Evo/Subaru/GTR/Mazda 3 world..

This is what he had to say about COBB (without even giving it a chance):

Click here to enlarge COBB is rubbish. The only tunes I would ever consider, in the future is GIAC or Dinan.

COBB is what happens when subaru guys start playing with BMWs. Will COBB insure my engine, when ATR start's D**king with it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This has to be a troll

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    We tried to tell him to use COBB as he doesn't realize how different flash tunes are these days and how many advancements/developments COBB has made in the last couple years...Let alone the respect for what they have done in the Evo/Subaru/GTR/Mazda 3 world..

This is what he had to say about COBB (without even giving it a chance):
    Hehe he said Dinan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In the end, if your tune isn't made for anything higher than an E25 blend, don't run it. If you run more than that, don't complain that you got lean codes. It appears like no research was conducted before inserting the E85 nozzle in the filler neck...

<sarcasm> hold up, E85 has roughly 30% less energy than pump gas??!?!?!? That's the first time I've heard of that...</sacarsm>
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    http://www.racegas.com/article/11

Why not see what the people who make this stuff have to say about it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Not that this thread needs to keep going but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I don't feel like pulling parts out to quote but

reasons people by Dinan and GIAC are simple Dinan for warranty (i'd like to see them sell crap if it didn't void the warranty) GIAC for there racing experience. The reason why alot of other tunes don't work well at some tracks that GIAC does is how GIAC has the power delivery set, seeing the dyno graphs you will notice they don't request alot of torque down low and the gradually ramp it up which I would imagine gives it a more NA type of feeling which is usually preferred in most racing. You can create any type of power delivery you want with Cobb and I'd be surprised if there wasn't ways to setup different boost levels and parameters on JB4 and Procede that would help on the track where OTS and standard maps are setup for full power immedately at any RPM.

Aftermarket radiator - are you kidding you can have most radiator companies custom build you a radiator to you spec for a grand. I've had a few built by Griffin.

Octane ratings - sounds like Ethanol and 100 Octane racing fuel is the same, so your 40/60 of each the 100 Octane racing fuel will come out ahead in the "advertised" octane rating without changing the fuel delivery requirements.

Logging - when people ask for logging it's so they can see what the DME is complaining about. With logs a lot of people on the forum can pinpoint exactly what your problem is.

Respect - I know we don't know most people and there experience in life unless you stay on these forums for a long time and start to understand who actually knows things and who doesn't but if your on a forum truly looking for help and not just wasting everybodys time you should respect peoples opinions and advice whether you agree with it or not. If your having a debate about things and there are people on here that most likely understand tuning/DME/electrical system of your car they don't have to ever have had stepped foot on a race track to figure it out. Do you think the engine builder at a race car shop is very good at racing? typically not but they know how to make engines deliver the type of power for the needs of their customers.

Good luck with whatever you decide and please don't waste people asking for help if your not willing to listen.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast