Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I agree sticky, I'm reading the review and thinking, what is with all this fluff? Who cares about half this stuff he is commenting on and why did he even take the time to write it? In this review a consumer wants to know what he gets for 10k.....the op didn't do a good job of showing that.

He commented on a lot of stuff that meant nothing. It would be the equivalent of a car magazine reviewing the Ferrari 458 italia and only talking about the dealership, salesman, appearance of the dealership, sound of the motor and body style.....You would finish reading and think.....how fast is the new 458?
    I'll trade ALL of that text for 2 slips on the same day 15 minutes apart.

I'll give that the manifold looks great, welds are good, install looks great, etc. But who buys performance parts for appearance or the sales experience? It's ultimately because of how they perform. So show how it performs where we want to see it perform.

I think it would be better to have someone who isn't experienced with drag racing do it because it will show what an average guy can realistically expect. Not someone trying to get the best number possible for marketing...
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think the manifold looks like ass. I would like to see better merges and larger piping

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I think the manifold looks like ass. I would like to see better merges and larger piping
    It doesn't look bad to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It doesn't look bad to me.
    It "looks" nice, but I think flow could be optimized better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'll trade ALL of that text for 2 slips on the same day 15 minutes apart.

I'll give that the manifold looks great, welds are good, install looks great, etc. But who buys performance parts for appearance or the sales experience? It's ultimately because of how they perform. So show how it performs where we want to see it perform.

I think it would be better to have someone who isn't experienced with drag racing do it because it will show what an average guy can realistically expect. Not someone trying to get the best number possible for marketing...
    reviewing a turbo kit that costs $10k+ and not posting any performance numbers (apart from dyno) is akin to doing a review on a gaming computer and not playing any video games

"well it came shipped in a nice box, a few too many packing peanuts for my liking. My keyboard, mouse, and monitor plugged into the tower well, when I turned it on I was greeted by a nice quiet hum of the fans with a pretty blue light. Windows loaded no problem and so far I am just too busy enjoying browsing the web via Internet Explorer to play any games on it yet. Facebook updates seem a bit quicker though."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Like everyone else, where's the #'s or vids that count? Funny how detailed the shipping of the kit was. Mine as well do a paragraph on that evoX in the first pic if your going to waste time writing something.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    FBIS spoke to me and look I have nothing against the guy even though my comments came off harsh. I edited the OP to properly format and display his review and have posted his reviews in the past with front page coverage.

It isn't his burden to post 1/4 mile times BUT at the same time this is the one thing remaining and the most important. The subjective aspects are great but it's really the cold hard data we need. I don't think he is a bad person or anything but he does get discounts for these reviews and we still don't have customer support for Shiv's own run.

So the question remains, what does FBIS's actual car run in the 1/4 mile with this kit? We don't know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I still think the lag is $#@!. Who tests lag in SECOND gear? If you start at 3700rpms by the time you hit full spool you are at 6000rpm!!!! I asked him to do these tests in 3rd... but good luck... Guess thats what happens when you do a review on heavily discounted to free parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I still think the lag is $#@!. Who tests lag in SECOND gear? If you start at 3700rpms by the time you hit full spool you are at 6000rpm!!!! I asked him to do these tests in 3rd... but good luck... Guess thats what happens when you do a review on heavily discounted to free parts.
    He isn't a bad person just people need to be aware of certain things.

This doesn't answer the questions we still have.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree. I actually think he is a good person. I just see the review as being somewhat biased....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would love to see an overlay of FBIS's nitrous dynos over his single turbo dyno.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone else find it baffling that Shiv and his friends take our discussion posts about the single turbo from here, post and respond to them on the other forum, but not mention where they are coming from? Why can't they just respond here?

Also, when you move a comment from one site to another, you lose the context of the comment. This is a discussion, people are quoting each other and responding to previous comments. You can't just pick and choose what you want to respond to, take it out of context, and respond to it on another website where the members have no clue about the context of the comment or where the comment even originated!
    Daily: 2007 Montego Blue E92 335i - Stock
    Weekend: 2008 Graffiti CBR 600RR - Two Brothers | CBR Heaven | Shogun | Motovation | Power Commander | Honda Racing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

0 out of 7 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

This post by boosted5 is hidden due to excessive negative ratings. Click expand to view the post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I'm still not sure why anyone is surprised that a big single turbo on a relatively small motor has lag? I had an upgraded stock frame turbo on my Evo IX, with full bolt ons, cams, fueling, etc. and it was no big deal that I didn't see full boost until 4500 rpms in that car. A larger turbo would see similar results to this honestly. The only difference on Evos, Supras, etc., is that they can raise the redline of the car pretty substantially. I know in the Evo world, raising the stock 7k redline to 8k-8.5k is not out of the norm with upgraded springs/retainers to handle the revs. I guess I also don't understand why anyone is trying to slam on the gas out of their powerband anyways? Not saying this kit can't be improved, since it's obviously not perfect, but as far as the lag goes, I really think people blow that out of proportion. No it won't be instant boost like a large displacement motor, but coming from the big turbo/little motor world, this doesn't seem bad to me.
    Current: 2012 CTS-V - stock for now
    Past: 2009 135i 6MT - JB4, bolt ons, meth, E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by b00st Click here to enlarge
    I'm still not sure why anyone is surprised that a big single turbo on a relatively small motor has lag? I had an upgraded stock frame turbo on my Evo IX, with full bolt ons, cams, fueling, etc. and it was no big deal that I didn't see full boost until 4500 rpms in that car. A larger turbo would see similar results to this honestly. The only difference on Evos, Supras, etc., is that they can raise the redline of the car pretty substantially. I know in the Evo world, raising the stock 7k redline to 8k-8.5k is not out of the norm with upgraded springs/retainers to handle the revs. I guess I also don't understand why anyone is trying to slam on the gas out of their powerband anyways? Not saying this kit can't be improved, since it's obviously not perfect, but as far as the lag goes, I really think people blow that out of proportion. No it won't be instant boost like a large displacement motor, but coming from the big turbo/little motor world, this doesn't seem bad to me.
    I am not surprised it lags. I just don't understand why he doesn't state the facts then. That's all. I know it lags... I just want to see by how much. Running 2nd gear in second at 3700 is a pretty bad way of testing lag. There should be no lag at that rpm in that gear. By the time you hit full spool, you are at 6,000rpm...

The reason it matters more on this platform, as you already stated, is that the revs can't be increased past 7k at the moment. So really its just a smaller power band.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another thing that has not been tested since the release of this kit is how well it all holds up on a road course. ~25-30 min sessions in the hot California heat with plenty of WOT time.

It would be great to see some data on this from both the tuner and independent testing. I think a few people have brought this up in the past.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EDM92 Click here to enlarge
    Anyone else find it baffling that Shiv and his friends take our discussion posts about the single turbo from here, post and respond to them on the other forum, but not mention where they are coming from? Why can't they just respond here?

Also, when you move a comment from one site to another, you lose the context of the comment. This is a discussion, people are quoting each other and responding to previous comments. You can't just pick and choose what you want to respond to, take it out of context, and respond to it on another website where the members have no clue about the context of the comment or where the comment even originated!
    I'm a bit baffled that people get banned for saying they post here yet Shiv not only posts here but copies posts from here and he is in the clear. Good thing there isn't a double-standard or anything Click here to enlarge

It's lame they won't cite the source but on bimmerpost BB content is frequently used without citing the source. In the past I have enforced my copyright to remove it but no need to here, let them chat and the brighter guys will figure out how to use google to figure out where it is originating from. Those not bright enough to do so should stay there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by turugara Click here to enlarge
    Another thing that has not been tested since the release of this kit is how well it all holds up on a road course. ~25-30 min sessions in the hot California heat with plenty of WOT time.
    That is something Shiv should do with the 6-speed car. Before it's Winter...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is something Shiv should do with the 6-speed car. Before it's Winter...
    I imagine there will be issues but thats not exactly unexpected. Supporting mods are a must. Upgraded oil cooler, radiator and diff cooler are probably the least that will be required.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is a good review I was on the other site reading the discussion as well. There is honestly NOTHING wrong with a well build single kit. I Have had many of them on cars. They run hard, pull hard and are fun as hell. But there is that inherent turbo lag. Its not a bad thing its just part of the package. I can't wait to see how the GTX2863's do on this platform. I am not a hater and congratulate Shiv on being first to market with a well built kit that is backed up by strong numbers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EDM92 Click here to enlarge

its shiv, do you expect a straight-forward response, let-alone an honest one?

@boosted5 come correct or dont come at all kid, this 'merica, land of the free, and we run this $#@!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am not surprised it lags. I just don't understand why he doesn't state the facts then. That's all. I know it lags... I just want to see by how much. Running 2nd gear in second at 3700 is a pretty bad way of testing lag. There should be no lag at that rpm in that gear. By the time you hit full spool, you are at 6,000rpm...

The reason it matters more on this platform, as you already stated, is that the revs can't be increased past 7k at the moment. So really its just a smaller power band.
    Not necessarily true about the no lag at that point. Just because it's my most recent reference, I'll use my Evo for example. If I sat at 3700 and nailed it in 2nd, the car would absolutely take off and I wouldn't feel any lag. If I actually logged what was happening though, I'd likely see a 500-1k rpm lag before I hit full boost. We are honestly very spoiled with the spool of the stock turbos on this car, which leads to high expectations in the aftermarket. A stock Evo IX won't hit full boost until 3k-3.3k rpms on a stock turbo, let alone a big aftermarket one. Another point that needs to be looked at is the fact that the car is getting almost 500 ft/lbs of torque below 4500 rpms and holding it until redline, as well as not having any horsepower fall off on the top end. Regardless of full boost or not, you will feel the big fat torque curve on the butt dyno. I don't really have a dog in this fight though honestly. I think the single turbos are exciting, but I won't be in the market for a turbo upgrade any time soon. If this is the first kit out, it can only get better from here, right?
    Current: 2012 CTS-V - stock for now
    Past: 2009 135i 6MT - JB4, bolt ons, meth, E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by b00st Click here to enlarge
    Not necessarily true about the no lag at that point. Just because it's my most recent reference, I'll use my Evo for example. If I sat at 3700 and nailed it in 2nd, the car would absolutely take off and I wouldn't feel any lag. If I actually logged what was happening though, I'd likely see a 500-1k rpm lag before I hit full boost. We are honestly very spoiled with the spool of the stock turbos on this car, which leads to high expectations in the aftermarket. A stock Evo IX won't hit full boost until 3k-3.3k rpms on a stock turbo, let alone a big aftermarket one. Another point that needs to be looked at is the fact that the car is getting almost 500 ft/lbs of torque below 4500 rpms and holding it until redline, as well as not having any horsepower fall off on the top end. Regardless of full boost or not, you will feel the big fat torque curve on the butt dyno. I don't really have a dog in this fight though honestly. I think the single turbos are exciting, but I won't be in the market for a turbo upgrade any time soon. If this is the first kit out, it can only get better from here, right?
    YUP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    YUP
    +1
    Daily: 2007 Montego Blue E92 335i - Stock
    Weekend: 2008 Graffiti CBR 600RR - Two Brothers | CBR Heaven | Shogun | Motovation | Power Commander | Honda Racing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I could be wrong, but I think what rudypoochris is referring to as lag, is actually how the car is tuned/mapped. Of course there is some inherent lag with a larger turbo, but this system is intentionally mapped to limit midrange torque to prevent excess stress on the drivetrain. I think the turbo itself is capable of hitting more boost before 6000 RPMs but is intentionally limited to the boost curve being shown to maintain the flat torque curve.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast