Close

Thread: N54 Head Flow

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

N54 Head Flow

I didn't want to Thread jack the Vargas Turbo tech thread so I figured I'd make a new one.

@lulz_m3 made a comment about the N54 not breathing in the upper RPM range and it got me thinking. Does anybody have any flow data yet about the N54 head? I remember @dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks posted something about head work a while ago. If Dzenno did find anything I'm curious what the result was. Wasn't there another company that was offering a built head advertising hp gains?

My opinion, I think the N54 head flows very well. Shiv's dyno's prove it. A 6262 is a pretty small turbo and he is pretty much maxing it out sub 25psi. That's very impressive for a motor that only rev's 7200rpm. He also picked up a good amount of power for small changes in boost.

I think the restrictive stock exhaust manifolds have fooled most into thinking the N54 is just good down low. Small head ports don't tell the whole story, for all we know this head could have a very high port velocity and flow more than we think.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    I didn't want to Thread jack the Vargas Turbo tech thread so I figured I'd make a new one.

@lulz_m3 made a comment about the N54 not breathing in the upper RPM range and it got me thinking. Does anybody have any flow data yet about the N54 head? I remember @dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks posted something about head work a while ago. If Dzenno did find anything I'm curious what the result was. Wasn't there another company that was offering a built head advertising hp gains?

My opinion, I think the N54 head flows very well. Shiv's dyno's prove it. A 6262 is a pretty small turbo and he is pretty much maxing it out sub 25psi. That's very impressive for a motor that only rev's 7200rpm. He also picked up a good amount of power for small changes in boost.

I think the restrictive stock exhaust manifolds have fooled most into thinking the N54 is just good down low. Small head ports don't tell the whole story, for all we know this head could have a very high port velocity and flow more than we think.
    Are you looking for the data by itself, or the data compared to other cylinder heads like the S54?
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Are you looking for the data by itself, or the data compared to other cylinder heads like the S54?
    I think by itself but I recall you posting in comparison to the S54. I need to find this as it was well detailed and should answer all his questions.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think by itself but I recall you posting in comparison to the S54. I need to find this as it was well detailed and should answer all his questions.
    I built all those graphs...so it would be easy for me to make a new one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I built all those graphs...so it would be easy for me to make a new one.
    I remember those, thanks a lot, it was good to read.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...ad-Development

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

There's no empirical data, but VAC is building aftermarket Cylinder Heads at Stage 1, 1+ and then Stage 3. Stage 3 is still undergoing R&D, but it will be a complete porting. For comparison sake, Stage 1+ involves:

Our Stage 1+ Cylinder Heads feature the following:

• Comprehensive Leak, Crack & Pressure Test
    • Complete Disassembly & Cleaning
    • Inspect All Components For Irregular Wear
    • Our High performance Multi Angle Valve Job using Serdi Equipment
    • All New Valve Guides
    • All New Viton Valve Seals
    • Blueprinting and reconditioning of Your Valves
    • Balancing of Your OE Springs
    • Trueness Checked & Resurfaced Mating Surface
    • Unshrouding of Valves / throat cut
    • "Mini" Port and Polish & Valve Seat Blend
    • Attention to Potential Hot-spot Areas and Chamfering
    I don't know if anyone's bought them, but I think A) you really won't see the gains until you add aftermarket turbos (RBs or TDs) into the mix and B) you won't see 100% of the possible gains until you combine the aftermarket head with an aftermarket intake/exhaust manifolds.

AND here's the data that was posted on the PTF Blog illustrating the gains made by port & polishing:
    Click here to enlarge
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any I formation really, especially from you.

In your opinion, what makes this engine so efficient? According to your graphs the n54 head is fairly restrictive.

Good find. I must spread more rep before I can rep you again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any I formation really, especially from you.

In your opinion, what makes this engine so efficient? According to your graphs the n54 head is fairly restrictive.
    It's all about port velocity.

Once you get to a certain velocity, it's like a wall....flow literally can choke and in some cases go backwards. (Flow less)

I think with the N54 they (BMW) have pushed really close to the choke velocity, which brings a fairly high VE, and also great response from the turbine side.

The down side is that you need to increase the pressure ratio a lot to gain anymore flow....as flow volume isn't going to be gained from increasing port velocities much more.

The good news is that there are a lot of really nice new turbos available that seem to love high pressure ratios. That is, running 30+ PSI of boost, and relatively lower flow volumes.

I would be very wary of going too wild on porting any of BMW's cylinder heads. BMW doesn't like to leave too much material around the port walls....as coolant volume takes a priority.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    There's no empirical data, but VAC is building aftermarket Cylinder Heads at Stage 1, 1+ and then Stage 3. Stage 3 is still undergoing R&D, but it will be a complete porting. For comparison sake, Stage 1+ involves:

I don't know if anyone's bought them, but I think A) you really won't see the gains until you add aftermarket turbos (RBs or TDs) into the mix and B) you won't see 100% of the possible gains until you combine the aftermarket head with an aftermarket intake/exhaust manifolds.

AND here's the data that was posted on the PTF Blog illustrating the gains made by port & polishing:
    Click here to enlarge
    As @benzy89 highlighted from my cylinder head thread the N54 head flows relatively low compared to other BMW heads, although others are NA and not FI. The N55 head also outflows it.

For the entire spiel on the thing here's the thread I started a few months back on its development. Got word from the shop that it'll be done this Friday and hopefully the car's back on the road next week:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...lling-the-head

Some of the information is also available on our blog at: http://blog.protuningfreaks.com
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 09-04-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Once you get to a certain velocity, it's like a wall....flow literally can choke and in some cases go backwards. (Flow less)

I think with the N54 they (BMW) have pushed really close to the choke velocity, which brings a fairly high VE, and also great response from the turbine side.

The down side is that you need to increase the pressure ratio a lot to gain anymore flow....as flow volume isn't going to be gained from increasing port velocities much more.

The good news is that there are a lot of really nice new turbos available that seem to love high pressure ratios. That is, running 30+ PSI of boost, and relatively lower flow volumes.

I would be very wary of going too wild on porting any of BMW's cylinder heads. BMW doesn't like to leave too much material around the port walls....as coolant volume takes a priority.
    But then again the CR of N54 is so high that running high pressure ratios that the new turbos love, is difficult without downgrading the CR which means budgeting for new pistons. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There it is, thanks!

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Sinve the Vishnu single was picking up about 25hp per 1 psi increase over 20psi does that mean the turbos being used now aren't flowing enough air for the head to become a huge restriction?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sinve the Vishnu single was picking up about 25hp per 1 psi increase over 20psi does that mean the turbos being used now aren't flowing enough air for the head to become a huge restriction?
    I really don't know.

Until someone sets up the proper instrumentation, and shares some data, we are all guessing.

My guess on the single turbo is pretty simple though: The compressor is operating in it's sweet spot, which can add upwards of 20% more airflow at given outlet pressure. (Less heat)

I know of some applications where you'll get more out of a turbo with a restrictive intake/head, because the mass flow is at a more efficient place on a turbo's compressor map. (Higher presssure ratio) The question is then: Does the engine package make more total power? The answer is yes if you can get the turbo to flow more....which is the case.